What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

City of Jacksonville Invited to Axemen home opener

spinnerhowland

Juniors
The Jacksonville Axemen would like to invite all City of Jacksonville, JEDC and Convention and Visitors Bureau employees and their families to attend the June 16th opener at a special rate of $2After the great support shown to the Axemen over the course of the first season we would like to say thanks to those people who work for the city who's name we carry so proudly during our games. Any COJ, JEDC or CVB employee that shows up at the home opener on June 16th will be granted $2 entry for them and each family member. As with all Axemen games, children 13 years or under are admitted free.
The Jacksonville Axemen pride themselves in offering very affordable sporting entertainment with inexpensive concessions, $1 beers and plenty of fan interaction that includes a half time raffle and plenty of post match hand shaking and photos with players. The kids are especially catered too in all the extra activities.
Coach Spinner Howland recalled a specific event last year that inspired the team. "Last year when we played New Jersey here in Jacksonville, the teams were so evenly matched it was hard for either side to gain any kind of dominance. The lead changed many times and both sides were desperate for the win. We had players bleeding and others that had been taken from the field with injuries. There had been a few punches thrown and the game was full of guts and gritty style of play. With about 20 minutes left to go in the game I started to hear our fans yelling from the seats in support of us. I gathered the team during a break in play and asked them to listen. Do you hear that I said? These people don't know us, they don't even really understand the game but they can see we are out here literally bleeding and bashing the other team with everything we have, and their city is on our jerseys. They are shouting out for us to win for them. It was the first time I felt we had a really proud group of fans. When you hear people yelling out encouragement you find something extra. You dig deeper for energy, you run harder and you push aside pain. When play started again we all found something extra and our tempo lifted. The crowd lifted with us and we shut down the New Jersey team in the last 20 minutes to come away with a great win running on nothing but adrenaline and pride. I owe the Jacksonville fans for that win. They made that one happen!"

Since then the fan base has grown to about 1200 per game and the support from the city has grown with it. The Axemen want to show those people that work for, and help run the city who's name is on their chest every game, that we thank you and we are proud to call Jacksonville our home. We hope that all the great people of Jacksonville come out and take advantage of this great sporting event.
For those that do not know much about Rugby League the Axemen always have explanations during the games and they also encourage you to click on the video link at the bottom of the main page of this site. We hope to see you all there cheering your home town on against the visiting team from up north.

langpark

First Grade
If Australia ever tour the US again, I wonder what the turnout would be like if it were in Jacksonville?

roopy

Referee
a 1200 crowd after one year - that is outstanding.

A test match has to be played in Jacksonville and soon.

The West Indies - Japan - Russia - Serbia - someone?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
USA vs World XIII at Jacksonville.

You'd suit up one more time if it meant playing against the like of Lockyer, Hindmarsh, Thurston and Asotasi wouldn't you spinner ?

deluded pom?

Coach
There are some semi pro clubs in the UK, especially in NL2, that would be delighted to get 1200 through the gate. Onward and upward Spinner.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
What do you mean one more time? Hell, I am going into this season with a real effort to make the Tomahawks team for the Samoa game. I have taken over the Director of Marketing job for one of our Sponsors, Gracor Fitness, so I have been able to workout 5 days per week.
opps, back to reality.
Just to give you are sneak update, I am trying to find a way to make it viable for the Jamaica team to come up and play us this year.
We are hoping to get to 2000 fans by the end of the season.
We fully understnad how lucky we are here and we know that the city is very supportive of us and our efforts. We will do all we can to host ANY Rugby League team here at anytime.

Poul

Juniors
spinnerhowland said:
What do you mean one more time? Hell, I am going into this season with a real effort to make the Tomahawks team for the Samoa game. I have taken over the Director of Marketing job for one of our Sponsors, Gracor Fitness, so I have been able to workout 5 days per week.
opps, back to reality.
Just to give you are sneak update, I am trying to find a way to make it viable for the Jamaica team to come up and play us this year.
We are hoping to get to 2000 fans by the end of the season.
We fully understnad how lucky we are here and we know that the city is very supportive of us and our efforts. We will do all we can to host ANY Rugby League team here at anytime.

Distance wise, Jamaica would seem the obvious choice as an international visitor for Jacksonville. I guess that would depend on where the funding for the trip would come from.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
spinnerhowland said:
opps, back to reality.

:lol:

The way I interpreted that, plus other posts.. I can only gather you're having a blast.

I gather you are probably putting in 12-14 days, operating with a great deal of intensity and dipping into your pocket for this Axemen gig, but it sounds like you're having the time of your life.

Bazwaa

Juniors
Hey Spinner,

Good luck mate with the year, great to see you have got things up and running down south and Niuy is still pushing everything forward. Wish I was back with the Sharks again having a run against you boys. Hope all goes well. Bazza Randall, Oz Police.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Your link isn't quite right... I'll post it here for you axefan...

533794900_52ac0d5ffa.jpg

roopy

Referee
That looks like a very healthy crowd.
Could do with a lot more axemen merchandise on show.