What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clarke dropped!

Balmain_Boy

El Diablo said:
He averaged 55 in that series v the Windies and they say Bev can't play the short ball :roll:

Spot on. In addition they began to allow short pitch deliveries ODI and he still survived. Never had a problem with it at domestic level either. One of the great myths that Bev couldn't play the short ball.

choc_soldier

Coach
Balmain_Boy said:
Spot on. In addition they began to allow short pitch deliveries ODI and he still survived. Never had a problem with it at domestic level either. One of the great myths that Bev couldn't play the short ball.

Yet, I believe that is one of the major reasons why he rarely played. I agree, it was a myth. If only he was given a good run at test level, rather than the spasmodic 18 match career that he had.

PARANoIR

Bench
Neither of the Waugh twins played the short ball particularly well. 100 + tests each.

What was done to Bevan is a farce. But in saying that, if they had of stuck with Bevan at that point, I dare say Ricky Ponting would not be Australian captain today. Because its Pontings place he wouldve effectively been taking.

choc_soldier

Coach
Yeah, but I think Ponting was too good a player NOT to be in the Australian team. He would have made it eventually... perhaps a couple of years after his 1995 debut.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont see the problem of having 5 bowlers, hell if Langer and Hayden can get 100 or 150 between them, then Ponting, Hussey, Hodge and Gilchrist get big scores, then there's no problem. Even Lee and Warne can get a few runs, Bracken can be a handy batsman.

JJ

Immortal
aussies1st said:
Steve Waugh couldn't play the short ball, look how many runs he got.

meh - he chose not to play it - perfectly legitimate strategy

aussies1st

Staff member
JJ said:
meh - he chose not to play it - perfectly legitimate strategy

Whatever his reason, he didn't play the short ball but still turned out to be a great player.

JJ

Immortal
aussies1st said:
Whatever his reason, he didn't play the short ball but still turned out to be a great player.

agree 100% - it's not that he played it badly IMO - he played it bloodly well, how many times did it get him out once he worked out how to play it

aussies1st

Staff member
He didn't get out that many times, the English tried to pepper him with it but Waugh kept nudging it around.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Tugga considered the hook shot a get out shot and so decided not to play it earlier on in his career.

And Bevo was crap against the short ball, it got him out quite a few times, but was never expoited properly.

Too many bowlers bowled too short, it was the one into his ribs that he had trouble with.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
Symmonds' selection is bullsh*t. He can't bowl at all, he doesn't even LOOK like taking a wicket.
Except for that wicket he took off a no-ball... :roll:

lockyno1

Post Whore
GoTheBears said:
The opinions of Locky are not those of a sane person and should be disregarded.

Seriously, Warne should average 25 in cricket. He's settles down over the last year and has been batting brilliantly(including 2 firstclass centuries inengland). Lee is also an excellent batsmen of a lower order player, with good technique. I would personally rather see this side.

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Bracken
Mcgrath
Macgill

Symonds is a nuffy, Watson is a decent batsmen but a piss poor bowler, and certinly not at test standard, Innis, Williams better than Bracken??Pffft. Kasper was sh*t in the Ashes. I wouldnt mind seeing Bichel get a go actually, but highly unlikely he will ever be back. Beven would be a great batsmen to come in if he werent injured, sh*ts on Symonds from a great height.

Everyone was rubbish in the Ashes bar Warne,Langer and Ponting to an extent. Katich kept his spot and he was WORSE! Brad Williams at least seams the ball on flat wickets. Bracken does nothing on wickets that are flat- he needs conditions to suit him. Inness swings it more than Bracken if you actually bothered watching him! Bichel won't be back and neither will Bevan. They are too old. Stuart Clark, now how on EARTH that nuffy is even near a test/ODI side is beyond a joke.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Williams is actually out with a bad back injury, so I doubt we'll ever see him in the Baggy Green again.
Thankfully.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Someone mentioned Mick Lewis, Ive seen him play, he's a good bowler, but he's about 30-31 and I dont think he's up to test standard.

lockyno1

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
Someone mentioned Mick Lewis, Ive seen him play, he's a good bowler, but he's about 30-31 and I dont think he's up to test standard.

Mate he is more up to test standard than Bracken or Stuart Clark! He swings it both ways consistently and is one of the best exponents of reverse swing in Australia!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its not like he's setting the world on fire, he's consistent. Bracken is a better bowler than Lewis, and as for Clark he had a outstanding season last summer, and continues to do well.

lockyno1

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
Its not like he's setting the world on fire, he's consistent. Bracken is a better bowler than Lewis, and as for Clark he had a outstanding season last summer, and continues to do well.

Clark is just a nuffy, does bugger all with the ball and the batsmen just want to tonk him out of the attack and he sometimes gets a wicket that way! Hardly what you call a bowler who should be near a test match! Bracken is on par with Lewis probally but I would have Lewis over Bracken becuase he can swing it on all surfaces and his ability to reverse swing it more consistently. But that is a matter of opinion. Clark however is just another example of token NSW players getting first priority.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
lockyno1 said:
Clark however is just another example of token NSW players getting first priority.

Who won last year's Pura Cup? And who did we beat? :D

Clark's just a nuffy cause he's from NSW. :roll:

Latest posts