What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary v Ponga

Canard

Immortal
They originally offered a 5 year deal...maybe it ended up 4. Either way, another 4 or 5 seasons at Newcastle and they are already upgrading and extending the deal. He's a Knight for life

5 years and bigger bucks only kicked in if he got out of his Cowboys contract last year.

A 20 year old being signed to a 4 year contract as "for life" is good comedy

Dave_

Juniors
5 years and bigger bucks only kicked in if he got out of his Cowboys contract last year.

A 20 year old being signed to a 4 year contract as "for life" is good comedy
By "for life" I mean Newcastle are already extending the deal which still has 4 years to run. At the very least he will be with the good guys for his prime years. Good times

Noname36

First Grade
Well you hope so, but it would pay to remember 2005. With Ponga, Pearce for half the season and a nondescript pack of forwards the side has won 6 from 15 games. Personally, I'd be getting some forwards and not upgrading Ponga for another couple of years or so. You just know the Roosters and Broncos are going to be waiting with chequebook in hand.

What you seem to be forgetting is that once in a generation players like Joey, JT and Ponga are franchise players and they’re much more valuable than simply what they offer on the field. They’re especially valuable at out of capital city clubs like Newcastle and NQ. While the Knights are a popular and well supported club they don’t get any media attention, free to air games, etc. That effects their bottom line in terms of bringing in supporters and members and sponsorship, etc. Now all of a sudden they have a kid that everyone is talking about, that everyone loves watching play and it’s positive for the whole club...especially when you hear stories about how popular he is kids - ones that were supporters of opposition clubs just wanting to meet Ponga. If even just some of them end up converting to Knights supporters that’s great.

We had the same thing happen with Joey - and actually all the talk about him destroying our salary cap was bullshit because players actually took a lot less money to stay and play with him. The Knights problems in 2005 came about because Hagan unfortunately felt the need to give every single Newcastle junior a sizeable contract despite most of them not being up to it and that didn’t leave much left. Browns a lot smarter than that.

Yes we’ve only won 6/15 games but you’re talking about a side that’s had 3 wooden spoons and won less games that that all of last season. We were never going to come out as world beaters already. It takes years to do a proper re-build as you’d know as a Panthers fan. In one year we brought in the likes of Ponga and Pearce and we were finals bound before Pearce went down and would have made it if he hadn’t...and Brown and Mooney have indicated another big recruitment campaign for next season with again props being the main target. I’m happy with how we’re building but it was never going to happen overnight. We were in a horrendous position with our cap in 2015. Much worse than the Dogs current drama put it that way.

Noname36

First Grade
I can't remember what Joey was like at the same age. Did he have similar ability? I know JT didn't. He was elusive and skilful, but not to the level of KP.

I'm a bit young to remember the real start of his career but I'm pretty sure Joey was a bit of a late bloomer. He wasn't a star of junior sides or anything that I've heard. It wasn't until he was 22-23 that it started to become apparent that he was special.

He never had KP's elusiveness or some of his skills but I think it was Gus Gould that put it best that there's never been a player that could influence a game a regularly as Joey did, and opposition players used to comment that mentally he had them beaten before they even took the field. I'm not sure if Ponga will ever have that type of impact but he's certainly a very special player.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm a bit young to remember the real start of his career but I'm pretty sure Joey was a bit of a late bloomer. He wasn't a star of junior sides or anything that I've heard. It wasn't until he was 22-23 that it started to become apparent that he was special.

He never had KP's elusiveness or some of his skills but I think it was Gus Gould that put it best that there's never been a player that could influence a game a regularly as Joey did, and opposition players used to comment that mentally he had them beaten before they even took the field. I'm not sure if Ponga will ever have that type of impact but he's certainly a very special player.
most points on debut in the history of the NRL was Joey. Much touted talent and superstar almost immediately. Joey was playing for Australia at the same age JT was in reserve grade.

nick87

Coach
f**k reading this thread, it's going to be disappointing if Ponga doesnt end his career with multiple premierships, 3+ dally m's and be the first immortal enshrined before he retires! :D

It's been a long time since we've seen the knights fans this full of gusto about a young player. Welcome back, I've missed you all.

(Honestly though it's genuinely great to see a team that's been on the floor for so damn long finally have something to be this excited about. Sports is great)

betcats

Referee
I don't think Cleary creates opportunities for his outside men very often.

Cleary often gets the ball, looks confused and passes it to whoever is nearest to him, often that person is standing flat footed.

I thought we looked the best we have had in a long time when he was out injured earlier this year.

Our best performance for two or three years was the dragons game, Nath was very good that game.

nick87

Coach
Except halfbacks. They're all the next Andrew Johns.

The centres who got picked for Australia off one good game
And brothers in the front row who can churn out 80 metres over 12 hit ups
And back rowers who a bit spud-ish but try really hard
And hookers who are always a bit “Buderus” like

Hahah. It’s not like any of the other fan bases are any different. You sit back and watch how many players who have a bit of Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater come into the league and wash out for Melbourne in the next 15 years

My raiders haven’t had competent halves since our idiot coach left, and only recently found a hooker who is fit to even speak Steve Walters name

macavity

Referee
photo.php

For all those who reckon Ponga is on a million bazillion a year... the dude shops at Big W.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 4.57.47 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 4.57.47 pm.png
    353.3 KB · Views: 25

ek999

First Grade
f**k reading this thread, it's going to be disappointing if Ponga doesnt end his career with multiple premierships, 3+ dally m's and be the first immortal enshrined before he retires! :D

That will obviously be Lachlan Lewis

mxlegend99

Referee
About a year on.

Anyone changed their minds?
If you were to build a club from scratch Ponga would 100% be the player you wanted to build around.

Unless he gets a serious knee or leg injury that destroys his speed and footwork its hard not to see him being the best player in the game for years to come

Spot On

Coach
Mid-way through Origin II and it is clear to see the dominance Cleary has over the game and those around him. He's very controlled. A 20 year old barking orders at origin hardmen like Prior, Frizell, etc, showing them the way.

Ponga has been on the field for about 20 minutes but his impact has been very minimal. In fact, NSW have scored all their points while Ponga has been injected into the game. He has been a disruption in the QLD defensive line and has had a few touched for minimal results. Some here think he's a generational talent, those who know football know otherwise.

Hmmm.

Let's hope this is what happens for game 2, 2019.

nick87

Coach
Haha holy f**k, Cleary gave him a f**king bath today
What an embarrassing effort level from Ponga