What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club jerseys 2008

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
NRL should ban block (eg broncos WOW,) advertising on jumpers imediately, it looks absolutely crap, I have never seen it on an EPL shirt, so they must have a policy against it.

EPL jersys where the sponsor has to use the background colour of the jersey actually look a lot better with a sponsor on than without, it also enhances the credibility of the sponsor.

I have never been to a WOW store, but I already think it would be a tacky experience,,,

Nuke

Staff member
I don't necessarily think the NRL should ban them (really, what right do they have to do so?), but I do believe the clubs should exercise some common sense and dignity towards their club jerseys.

Why not compromise people?! I know I'm baised, but look at the Knights jersey. Coal & Allied's logo is black and maroon, yet when it appears on a Knights home jersey, it's white. They could have gone with the white block and black-maroon text, but they didn't and it certainly looks a damn sight more professional for both organisations. The away Knights jersey this year -being silver- they've gone and put C&A's black-maroon logo on, but it still looks good and doesn't detract from the jersey.

Now look at the old Wests Tigers 'Herbal World' jerseys and the new Broncos 'Wow' jerseys ...
It wouldn't be hard for a graphic designer to work the Wow logo onto the Broncos jersey without taking away from the jersey itself. Hell, I could do it, and I haven't been a graphic designer for about 5yrs!

Charlie124

First Grade
Nuke said:
I don't necessarily think the NRL should ban them (really, what right do they have to do so?), but I do believe the clubs should exercise some common sense and dignity towards their club jerseys.

Why not compromise people?! I know I'm baised, but look at the Knights jersey. Coal & Allied's logo is black and maroon, yet when it appears on a Knights home jersey, it's white. They could have gone with the white block and black-maroon text, but they didn't and it certainly looks a damn sight more professional for both organisations. The away Knights jersey this year -being silver- they've gone and put C&A's black-maroon logo on, but it still looks good and doesn't detract from the jersey.

Now look at the old Wests Tigers 'Herbal World' jerseys and the new Broncos 'Wow' jerseys ...
It wouldn't be hard for a graphic designer to work the Wow logo onto the Broncos jersey without taking away from the jersey itself. Hell, I could do it, and I haven't been a graphic designer for about 5yrs!

I agree.

Anyone with MS paint and a spare 5 minutes could make a more attractive design than the "wow" broncos jersey.

Nuke

Staff member
Haha! Yeah. Even just to simplify it down to just a white logo, maybe with one other colour.

Like I said, I don't think it'd be hard ...

Canard

Immortal
Slackboy72 said:
From wiki:

Emblem and colours

Originally, the club favoured the name Melbourne Mavericks with a gunslinger logo holding a fistful of aces. The club officials were all set to go with this until News Limited's Lachlan Murdoch told them to go with something else because the Mavericks sounded too American. So CEO Chris Johns and John Ribot decided to go with the themes lightning, power and storm. The club then became known as the Melbourne Storm.[1]

The Storm was always going to go with the colours of their state, Victoria. These were navy blue with a white 'V'. But club consultant Peter McWhirter, from JAG fashion house, suggested that they should also have purple and gold to make their merchandise more attractive. [1] Gold still appears on the logo, but has now been removed from the Storm's home guernsey, where the colours now consist of navy blue, purple, silver and white.

Correct me if Im wrong but thats not a heritage jersey, its a polo shirt. Canterbury have done a similiar thing for all of the teams in the NRL. There is also a "one" butcher strips style, I have the Cowboys one.

That will have the numbers 98 on the reverse (i.e. founded in 1998)

I agree that the Broc's WOW jersey is bordering in indecent, however isn't the point of advertising to raise awareness of your product? And isn't that what WOW has achieved? It'll be recognisable for a long time to come and when the jersey is on the telly everyone will be able to see the "WOW"???

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
BrisSponsor.jpg

Even that would look remotely respectable. Took me a couple of minutes ffs.

Timmah

Staff member
It's already made & manufactured. Short of it not selling a single unit, they won't change it this year.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Its not for sale on their website yet, maybe they just put the original wow on at the last minute as a promotional exercise, while the proper one was made.

Either that or they dont really care, probably the latter

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Nuke said:

The NRL has a whole lot of ground rules around sponsors, eg, can only be a certain number of locations on jersey, can only take a % of space on jersey, cannot be a rival to NRL sponsor etc etc etc

If they have the right to have those rules, why not rules around how they look??

Nuke

Staff member
You have a point there CumberlandThrow, but I still don't think they should really have any say as to what the sponsors logo looks like colour-wise, design-wise, ect ...
Like I said though, it'd be great if clubs can exercise their right of common-sense and dignity as to what their jerseys are gonna look like ...

Timmah

Staff member
Cumberland Throw said:
Its not for sale on their website yet, maybe they just put the original wow on at the last minute as a promotional exercise, while the proper one was made.

Either that or they dont really care, probably the latter

They're definitely on sale - they were available at Fan Day IIRC.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
that broncos jersey has been wrecked by the sponosr. i hate how a lot of clubs are willing to do anything for $$.

used to be many years ago the sponsors logo was worked in to 'fit' with the jersey not be the main thing. that f**king phone number is an eyesore...may as call them the "13 28 38 broncos"

cullen you wanker :fist:

Tom Shines

First Grade
The difference between the Premier League shirts for instance and NRL is that the sponsor is not sublimated into the shirt, it's usually a kind of iron-on felt thing.

Looks much more classy and fits in better than farkin blocks of text.

Timmah

Staff member
The difference between the Premier League shirts for instance and NRL is that the sponsor is not sublimated into the shirt, it's usually a kind of iron-on felt thing.

That really does vary from club to club, a lot of them subliminate it in now.

skeepe

Immortal
Pierced Soul said:
that broncos jersey has been wrecked by the sponosr. i hate how a lot of clubs are willing to do anything for $$.

used to be many years ago the sponsors logo was worked in to 'fit' with the jersey not be the main thing. that f**king phone number is an eyesore...may as call them the "13 28 38 broncos"

cullen you wanker :fist:

The Raiders' CFMEU logo is just as bad, IMO. Yet with the other gear, such as the hats, and polos which aren't white, the CFMEU logo is "worked in" using the background colours of the items. Why can't they do that with the jersey? Honestly it makes no sense.