What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Bennett

elektro

Juniors
By Stuart Honeysett
March 27, 2008 DANIEL Anderson has withdrawn from the race to coach St George Illawarra under the apprehension that Wayne Bennett already has the job.
On a day of intrigue at the Dragons, it is reported incumbent coach Nathan Brown could be told by the board as early as next month his contract will not be renewed.
St Helens coach Anderson was short-listed with at least six others - including Bennett, Brown and Melbourne's Craig Bellamy - to take charge from 2009. His manager Jim Banaghan confirmed Wednesday that Anderson had officially withdrawn from the race before it became public knowledge the club was keen on Bennett.
"I'm not going to have Daniel's name used as a pawn in the current coaching circus," Banaghan said. "It's quite obvious the club has gone for Wayne and good luck to them - he'll fit in as a good selection with a club that needs a lot of work.
"We'll keep our focus to clubs genuinely interested in a young, winning coach."
It is believed that discussions are so advanced between Bennett and the Dragons that the Brisbane coach has been told to go away and come back with his demands for staff and wages.
That could prove costly for the Bulldogs who are also keen on luring Bennett to Sydney, given Steve Folkes is off contract and under pressure to retain his job.
North Queensland assistant Ian Millward is still in the mix, but the board is said to be split evenly if it comes to a vote.
If that is the case it is believed the Dragons would have the final say and Bennett is the preferred choice. Brown is believed to have lost the support of the board and it is only a matter of time before he is told his time is up.
It was reported yesterday that the decision has already been made, but needs to be ratified by the board. This could take place as early as next month's meeting.
Since taking over as coach in 2003, Brown has taken the club as far as the preliminary final, but a premiership has still eluded a club that boasts one of the best rosters in the NRL.
The Dragons turned in an awful performance losing to the Wests Tigers in round one but showed more determination in beating the in-form Gold Coast on Monday night.
St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust declined to comment on the speculation other than to say the process was ongoing.
"The board had determined there will be a deliberate and comprehensive review of coaching for 2009," Doust said.
"They have determined a number of people that could be appropriate. The process is still incomplete. I'm not talking about the timeframe but Nathan Brown is up to speed with that process."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23438756-23214,00.html

big pat

Coach
welcome aboard daniel, a few first timers this week, willow must be on a recruitment drive.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
If we miss Bennett, we are f**king screwed for a coach and will no doubt resign Brown for 1-3 years.

For the love of Pete, we need to make sure Wayne is signed up and ensure it is a contract that is tighter than Scrooge McDucks purse strings.

Godz Illa

Coach
Excellent...

greed20-burns.gif

petetheileet

First Grade
lol sh*te we must be getting close...

I just dont know if i like the idea of the morale at the club when a coach gets told early season he wont be with us the following year...

for that sake i hope Brown gets kept on with a smaller role

Mong

Post Whore
Why do we want him? 10 years ago sure.. Not so sure he has what it takes going forward from here..

I'd prefer to see the likes of Mick Potter given the job.

Slackboy72

Coach
I would reckon, knowing how we do things behind closed doors, that Brown has already been told he won't be retained, Bennett has already been signed and that we are now chasing the signatures of the staff Bennett wants to bring with him, i.e. trainers, conditioners, defensive coaches, etc..

This is a bold new age for the club. This is THE biggest signing we've made since Sledge came across Tom Ugly's bridge.

mightydragon

Juniors
Why would we want Bennett??? Proven performer, discipline, respect and talent are the first things that come to my mind.

Rosso V

Juniors
First off I would like to say hi to everyone, I have been reading this forum for the last 2 weeks after discovering it whilst doing a google search. It is great to find a place where everyone is passionate about the same club i have been following since i was 7 years old, and i won't say how long that has been.

I just got a phone call at about lunch time from a good friend of mine who knows a lot of people in the know, and he told me that he got a call from his friend who knows Wayne Bennett and he told him that the contract has been signed and it will be made official in 2 weeks time. As much as i liked Nathen Brown as a player i do agree he is a bit soft when i comes to coaching, and hopefully he will learn more about coaching for the future. At this stage the dragons need a tough no nonsense do it my way or your out type of coach and i think that Bennett will bring this to the club.

So far as my sourse is concerned i have every faith in him, he told me about Wayne Bennet wanting to coach the dragons before christmas, at that time i thought he was kidding me but it looks like its about to happen. Now that makes me a very happy little dragon.

Again hi to everyone and i hope to do a lot of chatting with you all.

Ribs

Bench
I think the Bennett train really gained momentum after Roy Masters article when he said Bennett ws the perfect fit and was close to coaching us prior to heading to Brisbane.

I'm really happy hearing the rumours but I'll be happier when and if he signs.

I feel for Nathan and really hope he stays on as assistant.

Welcome aboard Russo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Welcome to the forum Rosso, and thanks for your contribution.

However, lets keep in mind that 'reliable sources' remain rumours until its official.

Friends who know people are normally given the bum's rush... but being a first post and all the media this week, I think we can afford to treat it as part of the ongoing speculation.

big pat

Coach
like all rumours i would prefer to see him sign a contract first, enjoy the ride russo your on the best forum.

Rosso V

Juniors
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I dont usually like to put it out there just in case the foot finds the mouth, but i got so excited that i was like a little boy wanting to tell someone. Believe you me if this turns out to be a dud, my friend is going to have a humungas ( i think thats how you spell it ) up his kyber pass. I wont be the only one walking funny:oops:

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
I read in the paper today that the bulldogs have opted for kevin moore and have pulled out of the race for bennet, cowboys are going for millard or henry, the raiders have given up on signing henry to a further 3 years, anderson or terry matterson tipped for the broncos, now if everyone has pulled away from bennett then looks like we just might have our prize, Ben hornby has indicated the club has spoken to bennett and it wont affect the players, he stated its no dramas for the plyers, do they know somthing we dont?

Johnsy

Welcome aboard Rosso.

I am not sure about Benny, one thing I know the status quo is not going to bring us a premiership.

_Johnsy

Referee
Johnsy said:
Welcome aboard Rosso.

I am not sure about Benny, one thing I know the status quo is not going to bring us a premiership.

I don't know who this handsome bastard is, but I like the cut of his cloth.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Merging all the threads re Wayne Bennett coaching Saints speculation into one big thread.

Cheers