What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach drama will make it tough for Eels: Morrison

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
Are you guys referring the sports tonight story last night where they interviewed piggy??

That was pretty interesting stuff !!

obviously, none of us saw that other than yourself, what was said?

forward pass

Coach
I was half asleep but Piggy was saying how disappointed he and all the other players were in the Smithy decision and he said that JT is more than ready for the job.

He was interviewed at training. The reporter also mentioned that the players association had taken an interest in the decision and wanted to talk to the players in the coming weeks.

Reading between the lines - the players are pissed with the decision big time and seeing that JT was pretty much running the session - he is obviously who the players are more comfortable with (as opposed to Hagan).

The Colonel

Immortal
forward pass said:
I was half asleep but Piggy was saying how disappointed he and all the other players were in the Smithy decision and he said that JT is more than ready for the job.

Stands to reason that they would like to have a choice in who they believe should get the job.

He was interviewed at training. The reporter also mentioned that the players association had taken an interest in the decision and wanted to talk to the players in the coming weeks.

So the players hadn't approached the RLPA and no one has talked yet?

Reading between the lines - the players are pissed with the decision big time and seeing that JT was pretty much running the session - he is obviously who the players are more comfortable with (as opposed to Hagan).

Fairly obvious they would stick up for the coach, I'd be more disappointed if they didn't. Doesn't necessarily mean they are pissed - moreso they would like to be involved in choosing who the next coach is.....

forward pass

Coach
Actually - I think the point was made in the story that the players wanted a say in the new coach.

Also - I can't see why the players assocation would get involved unless a player specifically went to them for assistance/advice.

Hellsy

Immortal
IMO the players should have a say in a new coach. Not that they will all be happy in the end anyway but they should be asked, it is this person they have to perform under.
I'm all for that FP

Eelementary

Post Whore
Morenito said:
Making the players happy i would have thought would be a priority? The players are not robots who just signed a contract with the club. Its pretty obvious the current players respect Smith very highly, hence the action they are taking.

Didnt say being a wanker meant he doesnt do a good job. Somebody could be very good at their job but doesnt mean they arnt a wanker. They are possibly the biggest dropkick in the world.
Fitzgerald could perhaps be one of these people. But like many people i have no respect for the guy, his opinionated thoughts are rubbish and its pretty clear his only thoughts are on himself and the $$ signs. While we the fans come second.

yes he backed Smith for all those years but its no coincidence that some players had clauses in their contracts invloving Smith at the time. In those circumstances who would of sacked Smith, with the risk that Hindmarsh or a Cayless could just leave.

The action in response to what though?

Fitzgerald publicly defended Smith when nobody else in the media (Gould a possible exception) would, and even said he'd see out his contract.

Now he's told his contract won't be renewed, and all of a sudden he's treated badly?

Fair dinkum, if the players are that feeble...

Eelementary

Post Whore
FFS.

I'm now an honorary Tigers fan.

The way the blokes have been carrying on is idiotic.

The players are pissed - so what? Did they HONESTLY expect Brian Smith to be coaching the Eels for the rest of his coaching career?

Come on now. You're supposed to be professional athletes and GROWN MEN.

I'm sick at the thought of this whole affair at the moment, to be honest.

Go the Tigers.

thedux

Juniors
eelavation said:
so, you'd be happy for a decision to be made at then end of next season??..what do we do in July when we're trying to sign and re-sign players?
Don't really see how you make that connection with what I wrote. My point is that all the complaining by players and fans about the board's decision isn't going to reverse it and that the next guy is under pressure before he even signs the damn contract. I didn't once mention whether it was a good or bad decision in my opinion.
I just can't believe all the noise being made when most would have happily seen him go 12 months earlier.

Stagger eel

Staff member
thedux said:
Don't really see how you make that connection with what I wrote. My point is that all the complaining by players and fans about the board's decision isn't going to reverse it and that the next guy is under pressure before he even signs the damn contract. I didn't once mention whether it was a good or bad decision in my opinion.
I just can't believe all the noise being made when most would have happily seen him go 12 months earlier.

I'm simply asking for your opinion?

El Diablo

Post Whore
speculating

they may prefer Smith over Hagan. Sounds like they'd even prefer Taylor over Hagan.

Stagger eel

Staff member
El Diablo said:
speculating

they may prefer Smith over Hagan. Sounds like they'd even prefer Taylor over Hagan.

maybe?

but it's only natural that players prefer those they're familiar with.

shiftysmith

Juniors
i really believe if we were going to get a coach with agood reputation and good results on the board the players would be looking forward to it,but to even have hagans name mentioned upsets them and me,lets be honest what has he done(remembering in 2001 we all could have won the comp with the side he had on paper)

number8

Juniors
thedux said:

Speaking of speculating!

Latest posts