What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach of the Year: Bennett or Moore ?

?

• Total voters

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Why are people using the excuse 'oh Moore because they went from Wooden Spooners to possible Minor Premiers'?

IF he done it with the same team then I would agree and it wouldn't even be close. BUT look how much the team has changed. It's pretty much a whole new side.

I'm pretty sure Kimmorley,Ennis,Hannet,Stagg,Eastwood,Morris have a little bit to do with the turn around.

grandorient

Bench
Interesting thread,

some good comments and some coming straight from the heart.

I don't agree with some Doggies fans here, that Bennett will basically be gifted the award. This will be a tough decision and indeed Cartwright may well be in the mix. I don't believe Anderson will be in the running, because 1. he has left his run a bit too late and 2. he is definitely well behind Bennett and Moore and even Cartwright.

I reckon it will be between Bennet and Moore, for sure, with Bennett just edging out Moore by a nose.

I know I am a Saints fan and would be expected to say that, but Moore did indeed have a new look team with many imported heavyweights in the side, as opposed to Bennett, who purchased some fairly ordinary players. He then turned them around along with the remains of the 2008 team to develop a formidable unit.

I don't agree that the GF winning coach necessarily being coach of the year and selecting that person prior to the GF is fine with me.

You need to have a look at what has happened all year, the players who form the teams etc.

GO

petetheileet

First Grade
Bennett has changed players:

Soward
Hornby
Creagh
Scott
Morris
Hunt
Green
Paea

Moore has put together good players
Kimmorley
Stagg
Ennis
Eastwood
Morris
Hodgson

Patten
Ryan
and co were allready good

He has done great Moore il give him that, hes brought a bunch of blokes together and they are playing fantastic, but Bennett i believe has actually done 'moore'

haw haw

get it!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Moore for sure.

Anderson has done well as has Bennett, but how people can go past Moore is beyond me.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The notion that Moore isn't deserving because the Bulldogs ended up with a bunch of good players... epic :lol:

Do you honestly think Moore wasn't somewhat responsible for the recruiting of these players? FMD...

Every coach inherits or buys good players at some point, some succeed, some fail. Moore has been the greatest success in this instance, guiding a team from 16th to 2nd, possibly even first.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The notion that Moore isn't deserving because the Bulldogs ended up with a bunch of good players... epic :lol:

Do you honestly think Moore wasn't somewhat responsible for the recruiting of these players? FMD...

Every coach inherits or buys good players at some point, some succeed, some fail. Moore has been the greatest success in this instance, guiding a team from 16th to 2nd, possibly even first.

Anderson didnt. The only player that looked like showing any form at the end of last year (excluding the usual suspects like Hindmarsh, Mateo and Moi Moi) was Kris Keating. Inu couldnt get into first grade, Hayne was a lost soul, Grothe was MIA, Finch was, well Finch. Top that with the loses of Tim Smith, Mark Riddell, Daniel Wagon and Chad Robinson.

So although Parra struggled at the begining of the year, Ando didnt have an off season or a good 8 months to prepare like his St George and Canterbury counterparts.

grandorient

Bench
Timmah,

Don't disagree with anything your saying. Moore has done a 100% job at the Doggies, Bennett or anyone else couldn't have done better.

My point is, I believe that Bennett has achieved a little higher with the players he had under his control. Admittedly, he had some excellent players to work with, who he has taken to another level, and some imports and 2008 players who were perhaps a little ordinary, he has been able to also take to a higher level.

Although I favour Bennett by a nose, I wouldn't be surprised or dissapointed, which of the two was selected as coach of the year.

By the way, what do you think of Cartwright, any chance???

GO

watatank

Coach
Bennett easily. Look at the players he's turned around. Soward, Poore and Weyman are all rep players this year. Last year where were they?

He's turned virtually the same team around whereas Moore basically had an overhauled team they'd bought to work with.

I couldn't agree more.

The whole squad has improved under Bennett. It could be argued that the talent and foundation was always there (which is true) but Bennett is doing what many Dragons fans thought would most likely happen next year.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Bennett easily.

Moores done well but f**k he bought in how many players? Kimmorley Ennis Stagg Hannant Eastwood Morris Goodwin and i may have forgotten a few. These were big buys and expected to be good players.

Bennett has changed the culture of the Dragons completely and turned a talented side with a sh*t attitude that just lost two of its best players into a formidible outfit. Look at the improvement in the players at the dragons, the likes of Soward, Hornby, Scott, Creagh, Weyman etc. He's suprised me big time cos i had big doubts over how he would go outside of Brisbane, but he has been very good.

I agree totally!

typicalfan

Coach
Kevin Moore, not only has he got a wooden spoon side turned around in 12 months, he has changed the culture into the side that I think will win the title.

He bought players in but so what? He needed too with the players lost in the last few years. All this in his rookie year as coach.

mongoose

Coach
Timmah,

Don't disagree with anything your saying. Moore has done a 100% job at the Doggies, Bennett or anyone else couldn't have done better.

My point is, I believe that Bennett has achieved a little higher with the players he had under his control. Admittedly, he had some excellent players to work with, who he has taken to another level, and some imports and 2008 players who were perhaps a little ordinary, he has been able to also take to a higher level.

Although I favour Bennett by a nose, I wouldn't be surprised or dissapointed, which of the two was selected as coach of the year.

By the way, what do you think of Cartwright, any chance???

GO

It doesnt seem like you have factored in that Moore is a rookie coach and bennet has been around for over 20 years. They are equal on the table so how has bennet acheived more?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Are people forgetting Illawarra made the finals last year.

They have not actually achieved anything more just yet.

The dogs have gone from last to first, yes they bought players, but the coach has to get these players to gel. Moore has clearly done that.

Wayne, whilst I agree has Illawarra looking better, thus far he has taken a team who made the finals, to a team that will make the finals. He may take them all the y way who knows, Moore might too.

Anyways Moore in a canter for mine.

typicalfan

Coach
I like how the Bulldogs are like the Dogs of old, winning with that tough style. Not only that but players are lining up to play for the Bulldogs, look who they have recruited already for next season, I bet each of them will be improvements on this years models.

miccle

Bench
Are people forgetting Illawarra made the finals last year.

They have not actually achieved anything more just yet.

The dogs have gone from last to first, yes they bought players, but the coach has to get these players to gel. Moore has clearly done that.

Wayne, whilst I agree has Illawarra looking better, thus far he has taken a team who made the finals, to a team that will make the finals. He may take them all the y way who knows, Moore might too.

Anyways Moore in a canter for mine.

Bennett took a finals team slightly higher.

Moore recruited heaps of good players to lift the club.

Cartwright, with largely the same playing group, has taken a team that hasn't made the finals for two years straight and now has them still in contention for the minor premiership.

Yet somehow it's a two horse race?

sooperdooper

First Grade
John Cartwright... top notch coach and will take his side to a premiership

Moore just went and paid overs for players to turn up at his club... OVERS.

Moore consults the leadership group about game plans
Bennett does it his way.
Cartwright - both??

I say give it to whoever wins the premiership because whatever they are doing has obviously worked. Thats what its all about.

aussies1st

Staff member
Moore for mind, hes finally got Roberts to his potential, recruited well and even plucked a star out of no where in Goodwin.

boxa777

Coach
Bennett fo' sure..

I see a measure of coaching in terms of what improvements the coach can do for the team and individual players..

Look at Soward, developed into one of the leading playmakers in the competition. Michael Weyman, another player reaching his potential playing origin. Costigan has had his best season in years. Boyd has stood up away from the shadow of the Bronco star backs. Morris is the form winger of the competition. Scott is a consistent performer. The list is endless. That is coaching.

Not trying to take away from Moore's achievements but as many have stated here previously, this is a completely different Bulldogs side. They're not wooden spooners no longer. Players like Stagg, Ennis, Hannant, Eastwood etc have all played at this good standard for some seasons. Even Kimmorley came into the team with some good form last season for Cronulla. Chuck in a bunch of proven performers together and they will eventually perform, regardless who the coach is.

A lot will be proven in the finals though. Talk is cheap at the moment and we will see which coach excels when business time kicks in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
You could make the same argument that Bennett had all these stars at the Dragons as well and when you do that "they will eventually perform, regardless who the coach is."..

Boyd, Nightingale, Morris, Sailor, Costigan, Smith, Cooper, Soward, Hornby, Weyman, Poore, Creagh..

So I fail to see the argument of "Moore had the players there, Bennett had to make his stars". I just don't see that argument or how you could try and get that across given that 9 of those players I mentioned above have all played rep (either CC, Origin or International) before Bennett was there.

Yeah Benny has done a great job with Scott, Prior and Hunt.. But you could say the same about Moore with Goodwin, Warburton, Idris, Hickey etc.