What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Stuart you are a ********** Disgrace

DJ1

Juniors
Danish said:
Who do you think is a good coach then??

....... this should be good

Any coach with more than 10 years first grade coaching experience and a winning percentage greater than 55% would be classed as an exceptional coach.

Any coach with more than 7 years first grade coaching experience and a winning percentage greater than 55% would be classed as a great coach.

Any coach with more than 5 years first grade coaching experience and a winning percentage greater than 55% would be classed as a good coach.

Anyone with less than 5 years first grade coaching experience is a potentially good coach.

scarcev

Juniors
Any coach that leaves the place in a better way than he got it is a good coach.

Im biased, but Sheens record with Panthers (first finals series ever and they then won premiership not long after), Canberra (3 grand final wins in 8 years after taking over from Wayne Bennett and Furner), Nth Qld where some would say not succesful but he established the base for their current success as they appeared in the finals series straight after he left, and then with the Tigers!!!!!!

Stuart is not qualified to even tie this blokes shoe laces!!

DJ1

Juniors
Danish said:
I'd also like some stats of this coach and their winning record without a single star player in the team. So don't go giving me Wayne Bennett. He's had Wally, Langer and Lockyer back to back.

If you're suggesting that Bennett is anything but an exceptional coach then you are clearly an idiot. I am not talking about a fantasy team totally devoid of any star players. I am talking about the myth of Ricky Stuart and his record in the context of the Fittlers impact.

Bennett is in his 19th year with the Broncos. He has missed the semis in 1988 and 1991 when the Broncs finished a lowly 7th. He has a winning percentage with the Broncos of 65.2% over almost 20 years. He has won almost 3 times as many games with the Broncos as Stuart has even coached.

Being a coaching legend is about long term success over many team rosters. It's not about how much you can whinge after every game or how many premierships the Packers try to buy.

Danish

Referee
DJ1 said:
Any coach with more than 10 years first grade coaching experience and a winning percentage greater than 55% would be classed as an exceptional coach.

Any coach with more than 7 years first grade coaching experience and a winning percentage greater than 55% would be classed as a great coach.

Any coach with more than 5 years first grade coaching experience and a winning percentage greater than 55% would be classed as a good coach.

Anyone with less than 5 years first grade coaching experience is a potentially good coach.

But what if they've had a star player boosting those stats the whole time (i'll guarantee they all have)?? Surely that renders them a myth?

Stuart holds a very strong record. If you want to take into account his lower grade coaching days then he has a great record. It will be well above your 55% barrier at the end of his 5th season at the top level (this year).

DJ1

Juniors
scarcev said:
Any coach that leaves the place in a better way than he got it is a good coach.

Im biased, but Sheens record with Panthers (first finals series ever and they then won premiership not long after), Canberra (3 grand final wins in 8 years after taking over from Wayne Bennett and Furner), Nth Qld where some would say not succesful but he established the base for their current success as they appeared in the finals series straight after he left, and then with the Tigers!!!!!!

Stuart is not qualified to even tie this blokes shoe laces!!

Sheens is a great coach with a fantastic long term record.

Some coaches move to lower ranked clubs and turn them into something others simply capitalise on the good work of Graham Murray but are then found out.

Danish

Referee
DJ1 said:
If you're suggesting that Bennett is anything but an exceptional coach then you are clearly an idiot. I am not talking about a fantasy team totally devoid of any star players. I am talking about the myth of Ricky Stuart and his record in the context of the Fittlers impact.

Bennett is in his 19th year with the Broncos. He has missed the semis in 1988 and 1991 when the Broncs finished a lowly 7th. He has a winning percentage with the Broncos of 65.2% over almost 20 years. He has won almost 3 times as many games with the Broncos as Stuart has even coached.

Being a coaching legend is about long term success over many team rosters. It's not about how much you can whinge after every game or how many premierships the Packers try to buy.

I am suggesting your opinion of Stuart is completely and utterly biased by your hate for the roosters.

It is you who for some reason throws the very measurements you say determine a good coach based on star-factor. Bennett is a great coach. One of the best. He has also been privalidged to have 3 future Immortals playing under him as cheif playmakers, 1 consistently at any one time. I dont have a problem with that. But, given your judgement of Stuart, you do. Because your measue of stuart is based on his winning record WITHOUT star players.

One set of rules for everyone else and one for Stuart?? Looks like it.

DJ1

Juniors
Danish said:
But what if they've had a star player boosting those stats the whole time (i'll guarantee they all have)?? Surely that renders them a myth?

Stuart holds a very strong record. If you want to take into account his lower grade coaching days then he has a great record. It will be well above your 55% barrier at the end of his 5th season at the top level (this year).

No-one is saying that Stuart doesn't have a good record. In fact it would be extremely unlikely for him to fall below the 55% by the end of his 5th season as a first grade coach. This will definitely put him in the category of being a good coach. He is far from proven as being a fantastic coach or one of the games greatest as he is constantly held up to be.

He followed on the coat tails of Murray.

He has never had to coach an ordinary squad of players.

His record without Fittler is extremely poor in a squad which boasts double-digit representative players.

DJ1

Juniors
Danish said:
I am suggesting your opinion of Stuart is completely and utterly biased by your hate for the roosters.

Not at all.

I simply put Stuart in the same category as Michael Hagan. i.e. Crap stats without Joey.

Like Stuart, Hagan came in on the coat tails of a great coach in Warren Ryan.

Like Stuart, Hagans stats without Joey are well below 50%.

Danish

Referee
DJ1 said:
No-one is saying that Stuart doesn't have a good record. In fact it would be extremely unlikely for him to fall below the 55% by the end of his 5th season as a first grade coach. This will definitely put him in the category of being a good coach. He is far from proven as being a fantastic coach or one of the games greatest as he is constantly held up to be.

He followed on the coat tails of Murray.

He has never had to coach an ordinary squad of players.

His record without Fittler is extremely poor in a squad which boasts double-digit representative players.

So due to circumstance he can't be a great coach? Laughable. Simply Laughable.

Double digit rep players??

Mini, Wing, Fitz, Moz, Flannery, Crocker.... who else? We can take City.Country and throw Toops, Roberts and Cross into the mix if we must. But even Haz plays city/country

DJ1

Juniors
innsaneink said:
What was the Dogs PL team Stuart won the comp with in '01 was it?
Chock fulla future stars wasnt it?

No. Stuart won the 2001 Jersey Flegg premiership after taking over Kevin Moores premiership winning team of 2000.

DJ1

Juniors
Danish said:
So due to circumstance he can't be a great coach? Laughable. Simply Laughable.

Not at all. Circumstances don't dictate that he cannot be a great coach but due to the current circumstances, they definitely do not confirm that he is a great coach. For him to be a truly great coach he needs to be able to maintain exceptional performance over a sustained period of time. 5,7 and 10 years is an acceptable reference point as squads change dramatically over those periods.

Danish said:
Double digit rep players??

Mini, Wing, Fitz, Moz, Flannery, Crocker.... who else? We can take City.Country and throw Toops, Roberts and Cross into the mix if we must. But even Haz plays city/country

This season you currently have 10 players with representative experience.

Morely
Roberts
Minichiello
Tupou
Anasta
Harrison
Finch
Flannery
Wing
Fitzgibbon

I don't think Monahan has any rep experience, I may be wrong.

If you can keep them on the field, I could coach them to the semis. I'm sure I could coach the Dogs, Eels, Dragons or Cowboys to the semis if I had their top side all year and I would be an absolutely crap coach. I would simply be capitalising on the good work of others and having success as a result of circumstances relating to squad strength and injury toll.

Question:

Do you think Ricky Stuarts coaching record in the absence of Brad Fittler is impressive?

The Business

Juniors
DJ1 said:
Not at all.

I simply put Stuart in the same category as Michael Hagan. i.e. Crap stats without Joey.

Like Stuart, Hagan came in on the coat tails of a great coach in Warren Ryan.

Like Stuart, Hagans stats without Joey are well below 50%.
Did Hagan win a SOO series in his first season as a SOO coach?

DJ1 said:
Stuart or Fittler?

Looking at the stats from 2002 to 2006 Round 1

Stuart has coached 107 First grade games (NRL premiership and finals)
Wins 71 (impressive 66.4%)
Losses 35 (32.7%) plus there was a draw

When this is broken down into with or without Fittler it's a very different story.

With Fittler, 76 Games
Wins 59 (77.6% wow)
Losses 16 (21.1%) Plus draw

Without Fittler, 31 Games
Wins 12 (38.7%)
Losses 19 (61.3%)
Looking at the surface its a fair assesment that Fittler was a factor. However, let me explain my rationale.

But first, let me re-iteterate that the subject of my arguement is why I can put up with Ricky's Whining.

2002 - 2004:
Yes Fittler did play a big part in their success. However previous years that Fittler was present did not yield the same success. Sure they made the 2000 GF and lost, it was apparent to me that the Roosters cannot win purely on Fittler. Other years they were competative but that's as far as it went.
I believe that the defensive pattern implemented by Stuart in 2002 played an important part in the GF success. Sure Fittler was a major figure in the season as he has in previous. But the major talking point was the defense. So much so that the term "benchmark" was being bandied around.

2003 & 2004, altough the Roosters failed to win the GF it did show that 2002 was no fluke. It did show that Stuart has stepped up as an NRL Coach.

2005 as I said was the recession the Roosters had to have. Loosing Fittler was a great loss no doubt about it. I for one was under no illusions of them making a 4th GF appearance and probably a good chance of making the 8 and they almost did make the 8.

I would also like to point out player developments under Stuart. In 2003 I was left scratching my head wondering what Mini was doing at fullback. Since then he has not only represented his State but country as well. Same with Craig Wing.

In more recent times we saw the emergence of Topou, Hannant, Soliola, Soward, Plum, Shackleton, Schubert, Lett, Paea x2 and Perret.

Who knows what the future lies ahead for the likes of Josh Lewis and Mitchell Pierce, one thing for sure is that the opportunity is there.

As a Roosters coach, Ricky has won a GF, figured in the next two GF's, won Origin as a coach and is now the coach of the Kangaroos.

One thing is certain. The environment Ricky has around him is appealing to both Senior and Junior players alike.

Ricky has earn't it and he has done it. He can whine all he wants as long as the Roosters continue to enjoy success.

DJ1

Juniors
The Business said:
Did Hagan win a SOO series in his first season as a SOO coach?

I could have coached that NSW side which beat Hagans squad. Clear mismatch of strength. Possibly NSWs strongest squad for over a decade.

DJ1

Juniors
I would also like to point out player developments under Stuart. In 2003 I was left scratching my head wondering what Mini was doing at fullback. Since then he has not only represented his State but country as well. Same with Craig Wing.

In more recent times we saw the emergence of Topou, Hannant, Soliola, Soward, Plum, Shackleton, Schubert, Lett, Paea x2 and Perret.

Who knows what the future lies ahead for the likes of Josh Lewis and Mitchell Pierce, one thing for sure is that the opportunity is there.

Purchasing the Australian schoolboys side is not development.

Having your club chairman preside over the decision to modify the salary cap to allow an unlimited cap for these types of purchases then refusing to step down despite a unanimous call by club CEOs for a totally independent NRL board and partnership committee can not be considered development either.