What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching options...

stg666

Juniors
if steve price is to be shown the door , the red barron's nemisis would be a great 1st grade coach . been around a long time and is currently no 2 to michael mcguire and is a dragon man deep down .

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Alot of the team Bennett had were due to Browny's recruitment. Don't take that off poor Browny. He can spot talent from anywhere that guy hence why he should return.

One thing to note as well about Browny is he bought the best out of alot of average players e.g Gorrell, Setu, Ashton Sims, Danny Wicks, Keith Lulia, Naquama, Isemonger, Justin Poore, Thorby, Rishie Williams, Adam Peek, etc. Players who later moved to different clubs and not make as big an impact elsewhere. That is something Price cannot do. He is the complete opposite and makes good players bad.

Browny made 1 selection in Round 5 2007 which you may find interesting. He put Josh Morris to fullback. Now people like Hasler are being crowned a genius for it. Goes to show he was ahead of his time and how much he knows the game. He would match guys like Hasler and Bellamy in terms of knowledge.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/2007/200704142729.html

Cagey Mac

Bench
On a visit to the Wollongong yesterday I was told by a supposed "insider" that the next Dragons coach will be Paul MacGregor. The best thing and only thing IMO about Mary is that he isn't Steve Price.

jenninga

First Grade
On a visit to the Wollongong yesterday I was told by a supposed "insider" that the next Dragons coach will be Paul MacGregor. The best thing and only thing IMO about Mary is that he isn't Steve Price.

This would be a disaster akin to the Farrar stint .

Alot of the team Bennett had were due to Browny's recruitment. Don't take that off poor Browny. He can spot talent from anywhere that guy hence why he should return.

One thing to note as well about Browny is he bought the best out of alot of average players e.g Gorrell, Setu, Ashton Sims, Danny Wicks, Keith Lulia, Naquama, Isemonger, Justin Poore, Thorby, Rishie Williams, Adam Peek, etc. Players who later moved to different clubs and not make as big an impact elsewhere. That is something Price cannot do. He is the complete opposite and makes good players bad.

Browny made 1 selection in Round 5 2007 which you may find interesting. He put Josh Morris to fullback. Now people like Hasler are being crowned a genius for it. Goes to show he was ahead of his time and how much he knows the game. He would match guys like Hasler and Bellamy in terms of knowledge.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/2007/200704142729.html

In Price's defence, he coached Josh Morris as part of the 2005 Dragons Jersey Flegg side who won the Grand Final. I'm sure Price is just as aware as Brown and Hasler are of JMoz's abilities and skills. I'll throw Blind Freddy in there as well.

He played plenty of fullback in the lower grades for us. I don't consider it a genius move by Hasler anyway - who else do they have?

TheRev

First Grade
2014 will be an improvement over 2013 regardless of who is recruited, just because we are going to have a couple of legit playmakers + Thompson up front.

But I will be really angry if Price or McGregor are given the reins and claim any credit for that.. the roster for 2014 while nowhere in the ballpark of Souths/Roosters, is at their best capable of a solid 5-8 finish, anything less will be a failure imo.

More so the rot has been left for so long that we almost need a complete restart now on team dynamics, bonding, defensive structures, virtually nothing from 2013 is relevent in 2014.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I just checked out Daniel Andersons coaching record and its sure impressive. 61% winning success rate over 3 clubs at NZ Warriors, St Helens and Eels. In the UK he won 3 challenge cups and 1 championship trophy. In the NRL he coached 2 ordinary teams to grand final appearances. Amazing success rate well above the other available candidates, with the exception of Tony Smith. Beats the shit out of Sheens, Henry, Taylor, Stone, Arthur.

BennyV

Referee
The only exception in the history of the joint venture? We move far too slowly to pickup major signings, we even lost Dugan amazingly, until Brisbane pulled out and we were all that was left.

Mate, we've never needed to sign big names, apart from halves (and those Bennett brought along) we've produced our stars since the joint venture began - from the Morris Boys, Bailey/Ryles, Gasnier/Cooper, Creagh, Young, Hornby...the list goes on

We then lost a few years while Bennett cleaned out our juniors in order to get us a premiership. The next lot of juniors will be with us in a few years time, featuring Seru, Crook, Lolo, Hutchison, Aitken, Harris, and so on...until then, the club is filling a gap with big signings like Widdop, Thompson and the almighty Dugan.

Point is, havent needed to sign big until now.

TheRev

First Grade
Mate, we've never needed to sign big names, apart from halves (and those Bennett brought along) we've produced our stars since the joint venture began - from the Morris Boys, Bailey/Ryles, Gasnier/Cooper, Creagh, Young, Hornby...the list goes on

We then lost a few years while Bennett cleaned out our juniors in order to get us a premiership. The next lot of juniors will be with us in a few years time, featuring Seru, Crook, Lolo, Hutchison, Aitken, Harris, and so on...until then, the club is filling a gap with big signings like Widdop, Thompson and the almighty Dugan.

Point is, havent needed to sign big until now.
Yar I said that in another post, Doust is quite inexperienced at the big name game (because we have used an organic growth model for so long), big names come with media attention & big competition from big name clubs.. 2013 was a bit of a wake-up, and we did ok.. he just needs to be more decisive about it in the future, rather than just taking the fish that the other clubs reject.

watatank

Coach
In Price's defence, he coached Josh Morris as part of the 2005 Dragons Jersey Flegg side who won the Grand Final. I'm sure Price is just as aware as Brown and Hasler are of JMoz's abilities and skills. I'll throw Blind Freddy in there as well.

He played plenty of fullback in the lower grades for us. I don't consider it a genius move by Hasler anyway - who else do they have?

Inu is a better fit IMO...but Lafai slots into the left centre spot easily so that would be a consideration.

Morris at fullback works because he hasn't been there that long. If he played there all season then he would have went back to centre at some stage.

Father Ted

First Grade

Unfortunately not!

He's a known insider to them , they know they can control him . One of the boys , an ex Steeler to placate our southern brothers and sisters . Fits the usual Board criteria and if he fails the prodical son in Millward is in the system waiting.. It all adds up.

nrlnrl

First Grade
so many insiders at the club & so many different coaches, seems like we'll nearly have a coach for every player in the top 25

so many insiders at the club & so many different coaches, seems like we'll nearly have a coach for every player in the top 25

....that's it !!!

We don't need a Coach.

We Need mums and dad's to drive their 20 something y.o. football playing kids to the game, and in the car on the way tell them to tackle harder and not drop the ball and do everything Mr Price says.

If Macgregor is coach next year Ill vomit

I couldn't stand it.

I think it would be a colossal mistake.

If they recruit some-one externally with high credentials there's a great opportunity to make a stong positive statement to Players, fans, Sponsors, coaching, admin and bar staff. It would say

"...we are listening, we are doing, and we too expect higher Standards"

Just calling out "NEXT" to Paul MacGregor, being the next lamb to the slaughter...

All it would communicate is

"...we have learnt NOTHING !"

It's the Organisational Management / Recruitment equivalent of rooting your cousin.

nrlnrl

First Grade
....that's it !!!

We don't need a Coach.

We Need mums and dad's to drive their 20 something y.o. football playing kids to the game, and in the car on the way tell them to tackle harder and not drop the ball and do everything Mr Price says.

just need to do a roster of who's bringing oranges & who's washing the jerseys, shorts & socks each week

Latest posts