What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching options...

Father Ted

First Grade
If it's only one I want Brad Arthurs . I just feel he may be the next Maguire or Robinson. I have no proof to back it up just a feeling and I want us to shoot for glory not just a replacement coach.

Godz Illa

Coach
Yep, Arthur shouldn't be ruled out just because he's a "rookie". It's a silly notion. Everyone is a rookie at some point.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I recently recall a lengthy sports radio interview with Matt King concerning his playing career and retirement. When asked whom is the best coach he has had....his reply was he couldn't split the big 3 of Bellamy, Maguire and Tony Smith. He claimed all 3 were very similar in that they are all strong leaders and wonderful man managers in getting the best out of each player. That is a huge wrap for Tony Smith plus he has delivered championships in the UK. So IMO he is the perfect fit for the type of coach our club needs. I would still accept Michael Hagan, Daniel Anderson if they can't attract Smith back to Oz.

TheRev

First Grade
Taylor will do me but he appears to be head of the list to replace stuart when/if he walks out of parra & the way that the dragons work he'll be long gone by the time they make a decision.Arthur sounds ok as well appears to have a good grasp on the game & most importantly no ties with the club.I don't want smith near the place unless it's tony.
100% Agreed, unfortunately the Dragons move like creeping moss, the only signings we get are the ones that fall into our lap, aka Bennett & Dugan.

Taylor is the man for me, but then I have nfi who Arthur and T.Smith are, but whoever it is needs to be strong enough to get things done his way, not Doust/Boards way.

McGregor would be assistant for sure id think, Doust would be mad to take a punt on a rookie...

The other factor I think is Craig Young, im not sure how big a hand he has in the club, and I dont know how you sack a club legend, but if hes even half the problem reported, he has to go, made me sick seeing him talking in the change rooms at half time last week..

Old_Timer

Juniors
Definitely no rookies. Even to contemplate such, is to ignore the catastrophic damage that has occurred in out club.

We need a coach that can walk in, assess what remedial action needs to take place, devise a plan to that end, and implement it with the skill of a master conductor.Someone our players will instantly acknowledge as their new leader and have the confidence to carry out his instructions.

Elias1983

Coach
Definitely no rookies. Even to contemplate such, is to ignore the catastrophic damage that has occurred in out club.

We need a coach that can walk in, assess what remedial action needs to take place, devise a plan to that end, and implement it with the skill of a master conductor.Someone our players will instantly acknowledge as their new leader and have the confidence to carry out his instructions.

I.e an outsider....

Not someone the players are already familiar with.

TheRev

First Grade
Garbage. Widdop?
The only exception in the history of the joint venture? We move far too slowly to pickup major signings, we even lost Dugan amazingly, until Brisbane pulled out and we were all that was left.

grouch

First Grade
The only exception in the history of the joint venture?
lol please, it was an instant example that occurred in the last few months and I didnt even have to think about it. It was enough to cancel out your generalisation. Giving it more than one second's thought, how about Soward? Seijka? Fien? Everyone in the Bennett era? Dell? Beau Scott? Best? Ennis? Withers?

TheRev

First Grade
lol please, it was an instant example that occurred in the last few months and I didnt even have to think about it. It was enough to cancel out your generalisation. Giving it more than one second's thought, how about Soward? Seijka? Fien? Everyone in the Bennett era? Dell? Beau Scott? Best? Ennis? Withers?
You have to exclude the players Bennett bought with him, the rest are all average, the Dragons dont move fast enough to sign Marquee players, they get the scraps.

grouch

First Grade
I figured you'd conveniently exclude the Bennett signings. Fact is through the joint venture's history they have had a rich vein of local talent coming through and achieved decent success with them. Only twice have they really attempted to sign so-called marquee players - for Bennett's first year, and now. Both times they have successfully landed quality targets

blacksafake

First Grade
Big names are usually expensive, we should be buying players before they become stars anyway
You need an eye to spot the talented ones that can go on to bigger things but in our case we only seem to spot the "average" ones who fill a void in the system & obviously at the right(lower end) price.

possm

Coach
I've been saying for quite a while now, we need a 'Football Manager' at our Club who is responsible for everything football including; Coaching Staff, Player Recruitment, Player Retention, Player Development etc. He should be given a budget and a set of rules hand have access to a sub-committee of the Board for final sign off. Access to this sub-committee should be available on a daily basis.

big pat

Coach
1. Hornby - def has the football brain and had respect of others as captain. Maybe too soon.
2. Nathan Brown - went well as a rookie coach, going great in England.
3. Choc Mundine - he brings out the best in troubled players...
4. Tim Sheens - I don't rate him but he has experience.
5. Steve Price - I have no real reason to keep him apart from he a nice guy.
6. The Gaz - might help them remember how to attack.
7. Bart Cummings - trains melb cup winners. Need heart for that.
8. David Waite - if anyone can find him, took an average 1996 team to the gf.

1, yep, maybe a couple of years away,
2, no thanks, old wounds,
3, tell me he didn't say that.
4, slight posibility, no overflated ego's to worry about,
5, pass,
6, doing a good job on fox sports,
7, poor bart not very well atm,
8, catalans need him more,

TheRev

First Grade
Big names are usually expensive, we should be buying players before they become stars anyway

My feeling is that the organic growth concept is very important to the Dragons Club, and thats why they never really have gone after big names, not aggressively anyway.

Its sort of been ok, but I I think 2013 was a long overdue wake-up call in succession planning, its the first time the Dragons have gone out into the marketplace to fill gaps, and to be fair to Doust hes pretty new at it, compared to say a Politis or Greenberg who goes external every year & always seem to get their man.