What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Parko1310

Juniors
I still find it absolutely hilarious that they thought they could bring Slater here. Seriously, asking him to leave the storm legacy at a club built on greatness, relocate his young family as well... To come here? As if we're some lucrative club people are dying to come to lol
You have to start acting like an ambitious, destination club if you want to become one

SnowDragon

Juniors
I still find it absolutely hilarious that they thought they could bring Slater here. Seriously, asking him to leave the storm legacy at a club built on greatness, relocate his young family as well... To come here? As if we're some lucrative club people are dying to come to lol
If they are after Ryles, approaching Slater was a smart move

SnowDragon

Juniors
Keep hearing this comment re Hasler, i don't see it as an issue, he is told to coach the side and not involved with salary cap and management, he coaches can give opinion on which players he wants to sign but has no involvement with the contracts etc..

one of the attractions of Hasler is his ability to run it all, to not bend to the divisive board etc. if you hamstring him, will he take the job? And if he does, can he do it…

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Not that I’d want Slater. But why would they assume they aren’t good enough? You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.

Parko1310

Juniors
You call sounding out a guy who’s never coached an NRL side smart and ambitious? I call it idiotic.
I'd call it opening our mind to all options and casting a wide net, which is smart and ambitious yes. I don't think us reaching out to Slater was a move that says we definitely want him as coach. It's sounding out who's interested. As snowdragon alluded to, it could have been a ploy to put pressure on the storm to rush a decision on slater/ryles for all we know, so that we end up with the man we want. The plan could have been to have Slater work as assistant under someone like Des, before taking over in 2-3 years too. We just don't know. Billy has 100% shown some coaching talent, and we have clearly recognised that talent which I at the very least find pleasing.

since77

Juniors
I'd call it opening our mind to all options and casting a wide net, which is smart and ambitious yes. I don't think us reaching out to Slater was a move that says we definitely want him as coach. It's sounding out who's interested. As snowdragon alluded to, it could have been a ploy to put pressure on the storm to rush a decision on slater/ryles for all we know, so that we end up with the man we want. The plan could have been to have Slater work as assistant under someone like Des, before taking over in 2-3 years too. We just don't know. Billy has 100% shown some coaching talent, and we have clearly recognised that talent which I at the very least find pleasing.
You’re being way too generous if you’re assuming this board is capable of coming up with “ploys” or good plans. And smart and ambitious? How long have you been watching this club for?
We have 12 depressing years of evidence that this board isn’t capable of organising a root in a brothel - it’s last “plan” ended up leaving us with a bad case of “Griffin-itis”. Which they doubled down on when they re-appointed him after his first miserable year. And Slater has not shown “100% coaching talent“ as you suggest. Coaching SOO isn’t coaching, it’s much more like management. Even a clown like Mal Meninga looked like a genius when in charge of the QLD side. These QLD SOO “coaches” are more like figureheads surrounded by a group of well picked and extremely capable assistants.

I think someone like Craig Bellamy isn't achievable or reaslistic. So, short of that utopia, I think my ideal, best-case scenario, would be to try to mimic the Dolphins setup. They have Wayne Bennett with Kristian Woolf as the assistant/successor. So I'd go with Des Hasler together with one of Young/Hornby/Ryles.
I second that motion, also in the hope that our fair-weather "captain" and "half-back" would also ask to leave, freeing up some salary dollars to bring some quality into the joint.

Trifili13

Juniors
While i respect everyones opinion, i think some of the plans people on here are putting together are fanciful. Eg selecting the best current assistant coach, who is probably at one of the leading clubs, to come to our club and be an understudy with the aim of taking over in 2 to 3 years time such as lets get Hasler for 2 years and tell him to move over so your assistant can rake over.

And approaching Slater who has "coached" 6 SOO games (i think he has been there for2 series, maybe 1) with the selection of the best players available and basically no experience in building and running a roster under a salary cap to take over our shit show i think is fanciful and a waste of a phone call. While you should always be ambitious, you also have to be realistic. While there are no guarantees with any coach, i think we need an experienced coach that can weed out the plodders or players that are simply not good enough on a week to week basis, attract decent players and develop our juniors. Whether that is Hasler, Flanagan or someone elese I don't know.

Parko1310

Juniors
You’re being way too generous if you’re assuming this board is capable of coming up with “ploys” or good plans. And smart and ambitious? How long have you been watching this club for?
We have 12 depressing years of evidence that this board isn’t capable of organising a root in a brothel - it’s last “plan” ended up leaving us with a bad case of “Griffin-itis”. Which they doubled down on when they re-appointed him after his first miserable year. And Slater has not shown “100% coaching talent“ as you suggest. Coaching SOO isn’t coaching, it’s much more like management. Even a clown like Mal Meninga looked like a genius when in charge of the QLD side. These QLD SOO “coaches” are more like figureheads surrounded by a group of well picked and extremely capable assistants.
I didn't call the board's decisions over the past 12 years smart or ambitious. I'm referencing the Slater inquiry only. Casting a wide net for candidates is a commonly used practice in business decisions that ultimately allows you to end up with the best candidate. In reference to Mal, he never looked like a genius, everyone knew he couldn't coach. Slater, on the other hand, in my opinion is a talented coach.

Dragon David

First Grade
While i respect everyones opinion, i think some of the plans people on here are putting together are fanciful. Eg selecting the best current assistant coach, who is probably at one of the leading clubs, to come to our club and be an understudy with the aim of taking over in 2 to 3 years time such as lets get Hasler for 2 years and tell him to move over so your assistant can rake over.

And approaching Slater who has "coached" 6 SOO games (i think he has been there for2 series, maybe 1) with the selection of the best players available and basically no experience in building and running a roster under a salary cap to take over our shit show i think is fanciful and a waste of a phone call. While you should always be ambitious, you also have to be realistic. While there are no guarantees with any coach, i think we need an experienced coach that can weed out the plodders or players that are simply not good enough on a week to week basis, attract decent players and develop our juniors. Whether that is Hasler, Flanagan or someone elese I don't know.
Agreed Trifili. That's how I see it.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Just watched the Ramsay video from the Gold Coast and it made me realise what a wide fan base we have of loyal supporters from young kids to the older “kids” and that the Board of this club owes it to these people to make sure they get the Club back to the top… and that starts with making the right decision about the next coach!!

Mojo

Bench
Who said the board directed anyone to call Slater? Gees, it was just a phone call. He said 'no' thank god. Scratch his name off the list, move on.
Des is available - he's got a great win loss ratio, a long first grade coaching career, has won premierships, will attract quality players, is as tough as nails and a hard task master coach. The decision makes itself IMO.
Assistants - not even on the table anyway - but Brown has stated he wants an assistant role - grab him. Also Hornby if available and interested. Should be up to the new coach anyway.
It's very simple IMO - sign Des and get on with it.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Brown gets a Senior role in the recruitment or football dept that will make it interesting as it may move the boards thinking from an experienced one to a rookie as Browny will be there to help the rookie like Ryles who is a good mate of his apparently. Saints maybe doing stuff in the background to get Ryles across. I have a feeling we are going to hear some good astute appointments soon in regards to our footy dept. Or am I just really being wishful. Time will tell.

Latest posts