What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Maddragon99

Juniors
They don’t want Ryles next year whether he lands the job or not because:

A: rooosters aren’t going that well ( changes needed)
B: His interests do not align with the roosters.

Silly to announce it now, sour grapes, because it strengthens SGIs hand in contract negotiations with Ryles.

You are his best chance.

Trigger happy roosters, reeling over a season of drama.
The Roosters are just having a sook because Ryles has the audacity to want to leave for greener pastures.

The Roosters are just having a sook because Ryles has the audacity to want to leave for greener pastures.

Yes.

And he won’t get any first grade coaching experience there until Robbo is sacked and that will be ages.

Although Robbo, I think he’s losing touch or the changeroom. Too many quality players off on a frolic of their own. Cheese isn’t looking happy either. Keary is finished, suali wants out. 11 players off contract. No big signings for next year.

Maybe the reason that they gave Ryles the sack now (starting next year isn’t it?) is because of the bad pr they are getting over it.

And they are stuck with bums like Tedesco.

The utter humiliation against the panthers. That was the end of them this year. It’s not cool to be a rooster anymore. There’s a bad smell about them. No offence to their fans, it’s the cycle of league and they are heading south.

Ryles doesn’t see his future there. I think that’s natural and honest. They should be more civil about it.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
I don't think its sooking at all.. I think its the best outcome for all 3 parties.. I just wish we would make decisions like that StGeorge.... instead of letting everything fester until the last moment possible.

But for the Roosters.. media distractions aside.. there is no way Ryles has his focus on his assistant job right now.. can you imagine the amount of decision making and research thats sitting on his dragons plate... the player managers, the players, the GM's, the assistants.. recruitment managers.. internal positions.. pathways.. juniors.. 2023 recruitment, 2024 recruitment.. salary cap management.. my head implodes just thinking about the job.. but now he can sit back and take his time to think it through.. get to know our squad.. and do it without having to coach the side each week.

I think Jason will be happy (even though it might sting his pride initially), Dragons are happy, and the Roosters will be happy to get some fresh assistant blood into things.

BLM01

First Grade
Yes.

And he won’t get any first grade coaching experience there until Robbo is sacked and that will be ages.

Although Robbo, I think he’s losing touch or the changeroom. Too many quality players off on a frolic of their own. Cheese isn’t looking happy either. Keary is finished, suali wants out. 11 players off contract. No big signings for next year.

Maybe the reason that they gave Ryles the sack now (starting next year isn’t it?) is because of the bad pr they are getting over it.

The utter humiliation against the panthers. That was the end of them this year. It’s not cool to be a rooster anymore. There’s a bad smell about them. No offence to their fans, it’s the cycle of league and they are heading south.

Ryles doesn’t see his future there. I think that’s natural and honest. They should be more civil about it.
I think Young & Leniu are good signings for them
Robbo losing the changeroom..that is a stretch
Stuck with Tedesco?.. Id have him in my side
But I will say their downhill slide started when Walker was dropped
A little birdy told me that him and Keary were not seeing eye to eye

Mojo

Bench
The Roosters are clearly a business first. Their product is the footy team. If you’re with them they own you. Conversely, if they don’t own you then you can’t be with them.
That‘s fair enough for a business but I genuinely believe that rugby league has a curious tribalism as its essence, and therefore, as a long-term strategy allowing the business ethos to dominate is unsustainable.
Saints need to restore the tribal identity first and the business success will take care of itself. The team is the product, that’s true, but it can only be ‘manufactured’ up to a point; it’s not until it has the ‘belief’ installed, as a team, club, managers, supporters, board, that it comes alive and starts making real rugby league happen.
This is what I love about this sport and Saints.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Yes.

Dont be too keen to write them off just yet.

Texmex

Juniors
Personally, I don’t care about the roosters or any of the other non Red’n’Whites. I hope they all implode and come last…… Then we wouldn’t be last!!😀😀 a big win is on the cards tonight. No Ryles for coach, we need to learn that old boys in the driving seat just don’t cut it. Surely we want an experienced coach with runs on the board. Talk of 5yrs for Ryles - an untested coach is ludicrous….unless of course we want to full into another hole after just pulling ourselves out of the one we’ve been in over the last 13 years!

I think Young & Leniu are good signings for them
Robbo losing the changeroom..that is a stretch
Stuck with Tedesco?.. Id have him in my side
But I will say their downhill slide started when Walker was dropped
A little birdy told me that him and Keary were not seeing eye to eye

Tedescos racist slur was enough to condemn him in my mind. I won’t tolerate it. I stand by that.

Keary v Walker, makes sense..

Thanks.

Dont be too keen to write them off just yet.

You could be right, but I’m afraid I’ve seen enough to call them dead in the water in 2023.

The thing about all predictions is that they are just that. If they prove me wrong, I will salute you, but not neck myself!

At any rate, i think it was wrong to call time on Ryles now. They could have waited if he had secured the job.

I liken it to Nick Politis accepting a trade in unsighted. It arrives by tow truck, he checks under the hood and the jaguar has no engine.

Scapegoating and pr for suffering rooster fans.

They are not used to struggle street.

Last edited:
Give Madge the badge.

Nice to see a close friend here on this awesome thread.

Madge isn’t quite suited to sgi for the moment, they need a swift turnaround. He needs some time to figure game matters.

He could assist with r&r and the DNA effort the Dragons wish to re-capture behind the scenes. A positive influence, but I couldn’t give him the keys to the commodore right now.

I prefer Des, but we are where we are.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Nice to see a good friend here on this awesome thread.

Madge isn’t quite suited to sgi for the moment, they need a swift turnaround. He needs some time to figure game matters.

He could assist with r&r and the DNA effort the Dragons wish to re-capture behind the scenes. A positive influence, but I couldn’t give him the keys to the commodore right now.

It’s all looking Ryles on 3 years I think. The roosters have all but delivered him to sgi.
Do you think an untried and untested reserve grader will be better? Cameron Ciraldo comes to mind.

Do you think an untried and untested reserve grader will be better? Cameron Ciraldo comes to mind.

It’s a live issue here bringing great passion with it.

Ciraldo is struggling, we missed a bullet.

But I think SGI would be better off with an old campaigner with notches on his belt.

But otherwise, I’m fine with Ryles with good support on a 3 year deal. But SGI need some talent in the roster as well. 4 solid players would bring a lot of goodness.

2 quality forwards and 2 emerging backs.

I love my Ben Hunt. I’d kill to have him at the Tigers. Sloan is making massive headway as well.

Tigerm

First Grade
It’s a live issue here bringing great passion with it.

Ciraldo is struggling, we missed a bullet.

But I think SGI would be better off with an old campaigner with notches on his belt.

But otherwise, I’m fine with Ryles with good support on a 3 year deal. But SGI need some talent in the roster as well. 4 solid players would bring a lot of goodness.

2 quality forwards and 2 emerging backs.

I love my Ben Hunt. I’d kill to have him at the Tigers. Sloan is making massive headway as well.
“But I think SGI would be better off with an old campaigner with notches on his belt.”

Are you debating with me or against me? Give Madge the badge.

Good players don’t necessarily make good coaches, Wally Lewis (arguably) the best player ever, was a shit coach.

“But I think SGI would be better off with an old campaigner with notches on his belt.”

Are you debating with me or against me? Give Madge the badge.

Good players don’t necessarily make good coaches, Wally Lewis (arguably) the best player ever, was a shit coach.

I’ve just got to drive to work, I will come back to you.

In the meantime, read through the thread and suck in everyone’s contributions and positions. Pick up on the big concerns!

Slippery Morris

First Grade

Ryles could be appointed Dragons coach by end of week​

ByAdrian Proszenko

May 24, 2023 — 7.45pm
Save

St George Illawarra could appoint their next long-term coach by the end of the week as the club ramps up its pursuit of Jason Ryles.​

Ryles is the club’s preferred candidate to replace Anthony Griffin, although fellow former players Dean Young and Ben Hornby are in the mix if terms can’t be agreed with the Roosters assistant.

https://archive.md/kmSeQ#
Ryan Carr, who has stepped up as interim head coach, and assistant Ben Woolf are contracted for next year and are expected to remain at the Red V regardless of who takes over.
The job is Ryles’ to lose, and his management and the club are deep in negotiations about the prospect of a long-term deal. Both parties are keen for it to be a long-term relationship, although the tenure has not been agreed.

Ryles is keen for a contract of up to five years, the length offered to Cameron Ciraldo at Canterbury, which is reflective of the time he believes is required to turn the embattled club into a premiership force.
The Dragons board will need to convene and agree on the candidate and terms before a deal is ratified, a process that could take place after Thursday’s clash with the Dolphins.

Jason Ryles is the front-runner for the Dragons job.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
While there doesn’t need to be a unanimous vote from all eight directors, there must be an agreement between the club’s stakeholders, WIN and St George, for the appointment to go ahead.
The Roosters won’t stand in the way of Ryles, who is contracted until the end of 2024, if it means taking a head coaching position. However, the Tricolours will likely seek a compensation fee in exchange for a release.

Carr, having won his first game in charge against the Roosters in dramatic circumstances, wants to become a permanent NRL head coach. However, he brushed off talk about taking over the Dragons full-time.
“That’s not really for me to comment on; the club has asked me to do a job right now,” Carr said on Wednesday.
“I’m going to try to do that to the best of my ability. Whatever happens next year, happens. All I’m worried about is the Dolphins tomorrow night, that’s all I’m focused on. As soon as you look outside of things, there’s no point spending energy on it because it’s a waste of time.”
Carr said he had no qualms installing Jack de Belin as captain in the absence of regular skipper Ben Hunt, who is on State of Origin duty.
The Dragons had considered appointing de Belin skipper for a game two years ago, but opted against the move due to concerns there would be a public backlash.

De Belin was stood down for two years under the NRL’s no-fault rule as he faced sexual assault charges following a night out in December 2018 – the year he made his NSW debut. A jury failed to reach a verdict in his first trial. A jury in a second trial found him not guilty of one charge of sexual assault and could not reach a verdict on five others.

De Belin was in the mix for a return to the interstate arena for Origin I, but the Blues went in a different direction with its forward pack.
“Ben is our captain, it’s obviously just for this week,” Carr said of de Belin. “We have a relatively young squad, as you can see on paper, and he’s our most experienced player.
“You can tell by his form in the past month how hard he is trying for this team and this club. He puts his body on the line and wears his heart on his sleeve. The boys are following him through his performance.

“That was the reason around that decision.”

RedVee_8

Juniors
At this point of the game I just want them to land this appointment. If it is Ryles then good, get it done and give him full support.

my original position was I wanted a premiership winner appointed. But I accept that this seems unlikely now. So yep, if they have identified Ryles as ‘the one’ just ‘get it done’

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yes.

They have signed Dom Young for next year. So much potential with that bloke.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think what we will see is if Ryles gets the job it will be a opposite reaction by most of the media to what they got when they appointed Hook. Saints will be applauded for a great pick up and I can see the headline now that Saints get one on the Storm taking their next coach in waiting. He is the highest rated out of all the rookies out there. Gus will fall off his chair because my take on his reaction was that he felt Saints had no chance of landing such a good coach especially ahead of Melbourne who did all the work to get him ready to replace Bellamy.

I reckon Gus would have preferred Ryles ahead of Ciraldo because of that experience he has under Bellamy. Lets face it Ciraldo was under Cleary most his career and we all know how much Gus loves Cleary compared to Bellamy?