What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Phantom V

Juniors
I have some doubts regarding Ryles as a coach, I hope I am wrong.
A couple of Questions.
Did Ryles ever Captain St George Dragons and how did it go results etc?

Bellamy, Bennett and probably Cleary are Masters at Man management probably the key to being successful, does anyone have an idea on Ryles man management skills?
Great point. There are plenty of technically astute coaches who have a hard time getting their teams to buy in to what they are doing with any consistency. There’s more to it than that otherwise the likes of Bennett and even the late Jack Gibson wouldn’t have had the success they have had.

All of the above seem to be able to get the best out of their teams most of the time and it remains to be seen if Ryles has that ability in man management.

I hope that if they do sign him that he has the support of someone who can identify the type of players that don’t need to be motivated to play every week and show pride in the jumper.

In the contractual dialogue between Ryles and the club, don’t forget they are locked in a battle to get the best terms as against the other.

Once that’s settled, everyone can make peace and go forward.

Tonight we see another interesting episode in the struggle to see if Carr has another exhilarating game in him.

If he does, we see sgi loading up another bullet to fire at Rylesy as his demands become a bit less enticing.

A strong signal that the fort can truly be held without him.

The phins are a competent side.

Last edited:

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
A couple of Questions.

Bellamy, Bennett and probably Cleary are Masters at Man management probably the key to being successful, does anyone have an idea on Ryles man management skills?
Well Mary was our captain when we made the gf and we all know how that went lmao

Maddragon99

Juniors
A couple of Questions.

I have no recollection of Ryles ever being captain, there were a lot of senior players in the team. But he was obviously an established rep player.

Re his management style, he’s a rookie so there’s likely going to be some bumps in the road but all great coaches started off as rookies.

mickt

Juniors
I have no recollection of Ryles ever being captain, there were a lot of senior players in the team. But he was obviously an established rep player.

Re his management style, he’s a rookie so there’s likely going to be some bumps in the road but all great coaches started off as rookies.
Is it just me or are saints just stupid! Another rookie old boy?? Brown Nup, Bennett title, Price Nup, MacGregor Nup, Hook meh, and now ANOTHER untested rookie??
I used to scream at Ryles on the TV cause he was DUMB, and used to make the same mistakes ALL THE TIME!
He would try stupid passes that weren’t on, drop the ball etc!
He might be the worlds best coach but ffs if his career was anything to go buy I just don’t know!
For the first time in decades we get a good coach and we are minor premiers in 2009, champs in 2010, and the first 6 weeks in 2011 we were the best I have ever seen saints since I was born in 1974!
Then 6 weeks into 2011 Bennett said he was leaving then it all turned to s&@t!
After 2010 I thought, “finally we are going to be a force for the next 5 year etc!
I enjoyed the grand final win for literally a few months then back to the same old crap!
Why did Bennett leave? And why do we go through rookie coaches but the board never seems accountable!
It all starts with the front office! Until we get that right no coach will ever have lasting success!
Give me Flanagan or a good English coach before ANOTHER rookie coach!!
Ryles getting the boot from the roosters before saints sign him shows once again we can’t do anything!
A professional club would’ve negotiated in absolute secrecy, quietly talked to the roosters, sacked hook, and announced Ryles all in a few days!
Nup it’s all about the saints management for me!
They are hopeless!
I would love for Ryles to prove me wrong but once again saints really have absolutely no idea if it will work!
We will only know in about a year!
Great, let’s do a 5 year plan to rebuild the club again! Perfect!!!!!!

If I’m recruiting I would ask Carr and Rylesy how they saw the game tonight and what they think you could have done to improve.

Not so much the errors, but the game plan and tactics.

See where they differ in that regard.

It seemed to me with 20 to go, the win was still possible, but there wasn’t a big change or urgent enterprise. It was frustrating.

Moses brought on late, but he’s not a game breaker these days.

The errors should be able to be contained in the future. They had that jittery element.

twinkletoes

Juniors
My take on the Dragons is this….we basically have a team of plodders apart from Hunt, who you would classify as a marquee player.
We have an amateur in Haran running both the football department and recruitment….I don’t know of any other club that has this setup.
If we compare our situation to the Bulldogs we can say they now have a rookie coach with great pedigree. They have recruited quite a number of marquee players to bolster their squad and are reportedly looking for more. They have a football manager in Gould who is probably the smartest operator in rugby league…yet with all this the Bulldogs are still struggling this season, although I see steady improvement… not spectacular improvement, but at least starting to head in the right direction.
I compare that to the Dragons… we have none of the above and are basically starting a rebuild from the underground basement. We are miles behind where the bulldogs are at the moment… they are at least 2 years ahead of us in terms of rebuilding and probably have another 2 years before they are serious contenders to have a shot at any real success.
So to me , even if we were to snare a Shane Richardson to run the football department and a very well connected recruitment manager… someone with a bit of clout who could entice some marquee players to join us,we are at least 4-5 years away from
Making any impression on the top 4. Now that’s assuming we get some heavy hitters to run our back room operations.
I probably won’t be around by that time and it saddens me greatly that path to success is till so far out of reach because of the mongrels who have run this club into the ground….

My take on the Dragons is this….we basically have a team of plodders apart from Hunt, who you would classify as a marquee player.
We have an amateur in Haran running both the football department and recruitment….I don’t know of any other club that has this setup.
If we compare our situation to the Bulldogs we can say they now have a rookie coach with great pedigree. They have recruited quite a number of marquee players to bolster their squad and are reportedly looking for more. They have a football manager in Gould who is probably the smartest operator in rugby league…yet with all this the Bulldogs are still struggling this season, although I see steady improvement… not spectacular improvement, but at least starting to head in the right direction.
I compare that to the Dragons… we have none of the above and are basically starting a rebuild from the underground basement. We are miles behind where the bulldogs are at the moment… they are at least 2 years ahead of us in terms of rebuilding and probably have another 2 years before they are serious contenders to have a shot at any real success.
So to me , even if we were to snare a Shane Richardson to run the football department and a very well connected recruitment manager… someone with a bit of clout who could entice some marquee players to join us,we are at least 4-5 years away from
Making any impression on the top 4. Now that’s assuming we get some heavy hitters to run our back room operations.
I probably won’t be around by that time and it saddens me greatly that path to success is till so far out of reach because of the mongrels who have run this club into the ground….

Some good points for reflection.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
People often remember Ryles' playing career only at Saints where he was a hot head and made some errors during games. He was very passionate which is what I loved about him but he would get baited. He always stuck by his players though and never took a step back. He then went to Melbourne and won a comp playing to his ability. He was no longer a hot head like he was at Saints and Bellamy then got him as an assistant. The guy is the real deal and the fact that he is a chance of coming back is a great step in the right direction for the Saints. Browny I think is the key as he will build the roster to be competitive, another smart appointment if it happens.

Whoever is appointed, it’s going to be a risk and nothing is for certain.

I would hope there is no politics in it and the appointment is made on the best information available and also on merit.

The term should not be more than 3 years. The club needs this as insurance in case he’s not up to scratch.

No one knows how new coach is going to go, be it Des, Ryles or even Sowie.

The board needs to acknowledge that it has gaps in its knowledge about these things.

As all boards do -but for perhaps Bellamy and Bennett -although Bennett is very very expensive.

Last edited:

RedVee_8

Juniors
I found it interesting that Ben Creagh was the board member that was in contact with Ryles. Which I guess makes sense as they were team mates under Brown. Maybe some of the recent board member changes are bearing fruit.

Mojo

Bench
Whoever is appointed, it’s going to be a risk and nothing is for certain.

I would hope there is no politics in it and the appointment is made on the best information available and also on merit.

The term should not be more than 3 years. The club needs this as insurance in case he’s not up to scratch.

No one knows how new coach is going to go, be it Des, Ryles or even Sowie.

The board needs to acknowledge that it has gaps in its knowledge about these things.

As all boards do -but for perhaps Bellamy and Bennett -although Bennett is very very expensive.
What do you mean by your final sentence?

Dragon David

First Grade
My sentiments exactly twinkletoes. I don't think that my remaining time on the planet will be for a term that I could comfortably say that I will see us winning the minor premiership again for instance. My COPD feels like it is worsening and the dreaded thing is a bloody nuisance in that it really affects my physicality greatly. Doing any simple thing now makes me short of breath.

Not to worry, I'm paying for the years of smoking. If there are any smokers on the forum, think long and hard about continuing and try hard to give the health wreckers the punt.

But getting back to this thread and your post twinkletoes, the hard grind starts now and those in charge need to make sure that the best solution(s) are worked out leaving nothing untouched to get us out of the current maze we are in.

My sentiments exactly twinkletoes. I don't think that my remaining time on the planet will be for a term that I could comfortably say that I will see us winning the minor premiership again for instance. My COPD feels like it is worsening and the dreaded thing is a bloody nuisance in that it really affects my physicality greatly. Doing any simple thing now makes me short of breath.

Not to worry, I'm paying for the years of smoking. If there are any smokers on the forum, think long and hard about continuing and try hard to give the health wreckers the punt.

But getting back to this thread and your post twinkletoes, the hard grind starts now and those in charge need to make sure that the best solution(s) are worked out leaving nothing untouched to get us out of the current maze we are in.

I’m really sorry to hear that mate and I have appreciated your support and comments here.

I’ve got the donor thing happening to help people if I pass away. Probably better off without my spares, but it’s the thought that counts I guess.

Hopefully the medical scientists can figure something out for you sooner.

On the plus side to cheer you up:

+ changes are afoot here and now. No promises, things are actually happening.
+ the changes extend beyond a coach and to important and powerful roles in the club.
+ you’ve got some great youngsters who need tweaking but the raw material is there.
+I think there are some purse strings ready to loosen
+ some of the archaic dead wood folk such as Mary and Albert are out on their ear. Never to return probably.

It nothing was happening, I could accept absolute criticism, but at least there’s some stirring of loins!

I hope they can find a way and fix your problems, all my mates and family would agree.

As you know, I keep clear of some of your internal club issues, because I lack the depth of understanding to make sense of it.

And don’t forget the allegation from a few years ago that Mary got re-appointed as coach because the eels were sounding him out to coach them.

And the suggestion leaked from the eels club itself.

So you had a servant looking after sgi interests deep in another clubs hierarchy or officialdom.

I was skeptical too until Mary eventually turned up at the eels as an assistant.

That’s a serious betrayal of the eels for the old red and white passion.

Rare and exhilarating, the right stuff.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’m really sorry to hear that mate and I have appreciated your support and comments here.

I’ve got the donor thing happening to help people if I pass away. Probably better off without my spares, but it’s the thought that counts I guess.

Hopefully the medical scientists can figure something out for you sooner.

On the plus side to cheer you up:

+ changes are afoot here and now. No promises, things are actually happening.
+ the changes extend beyond a coach and to important and powerful roles in the club.
+ you’ve got some great youngsters who need tweaking but the raw material is there.
+I think there are some purse strings ready to loosen
+ some of the archaic dead wood folk such as Mary and Albert are out on their ear. Never to return probably.

It nothing was happening, I could accept absolute criticism, but at least there’s some stirring of loins!

I hope they can find a way and fix your problems, all my mates and family would agree.

As you know, I keep clear of some of your internal club issues, because I lack the depth of understanding to make sense of it.
I appreciate your comforting words Silverdale. I get regularly checked out and hopefully I can get some assistance through the hospital system that provides counselling and group exercises to manage my chronic lung disorder.

Anyway, enough of my health problems and let's concentrate on the health of the Dragons, the club I've followed all of my life through thick and thin and winning and losing and of course being part of this great Forum of which the guys who have been posters on the mountains of threads over the years are the winners.

You mentioned all of the changes that are afoot and other positives which I do hope will make this club doing so much better than it has in the past decade.

Once we know who actually will be the new coach and support staff, we can then follow and see how the changes will impact the fortunes of the club for the better and what better place to do all of this but the Forum.

Cheers, Silverdale, and keep up your "support" for the long suffering Dragons fans and of course the best of luck to the Tigers.

Latest posts