What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Dragon David

First Grade
We should at least congratulate @BLM01 and the selected others “in the know” who leaked out the news that the club had settled on him without actually betraying their sources.

They were proven to be totally correct.

Hopefully they can keep this thread ahead of the msm and other outlets. Good stuff.

And to @getsmarty for the instant access to articles, helping our understanding.

My rooster buddy at work ( ex junior) theorises Ryles was unhappy there and used you as leverage for his ambitions as the Storm “mascot.”

He says the roosters are brutal about rats in the ranks.

Ryles has been chatting to the Storm the whole way along he speculates. He calls Ryles a grub and he’s not even an sgi person.
Yes, I had a feeling that Rylesy wasn't "comfortable" at the Roosters. As I posted elsewhere, he left his heart in Melbourne City and wanted to return and he has got his way at the expense of damaging the Dragons brand along the way. The Roosters are most probably relieved that he has gone.

denis preston

First Grade
He should have come clean at the start.

I’m just getting a sense of the frustration you guys are experiencing. Slow adaptor.

You are totally right to call for everyone to move on, but it’s a bit distracting.

I’ve seen the media campaign blaming the club and I never used to believe in conspiracies, but it’s been over the top.

Plus he announces his decision on Origin day to take the sting out of it. Well it hasn’t gone unnoticed.

No club should trust him. He’s selfish and ignorant.
On another tact, what do you think his wife is thinking right now, he has turned down 850k a year , family moving to Melbourne instead of their home town and she is left to
” We had support people around where he thought was needed “ So the position regarding a new football manager & recruitment manager has been filled ?

Young mate says from the rooster viewpoint, the side is struggling a bit, lost some gloss.

And the internal expectation is that all staff, all staff, redouble their efforts and leave no stone unturned to right the wrongs and cure the problems.

And Ryles has been sulking and trying hard to get a lifeboat and abandon the ship.

That’s unacceptable.

He’s not Rooster DNA

Jim Dragons

Juniors
The joint ventures do not work. The past two decades clearly shows that both the Tigers and Dragons are basket cases. The Tigers coming last in 2022 and now it is the club we follow for 2023. Both joint venture clubs have not been able to get to the top 8 many times since being merged. Both have poorly run administrations and plenty of in fighting, hard to resolve issues, hard to reaching decisions.

If we were banished, it would be good so that we can start all over again in the very distant future when people will be holidaying on the moon.

My crystal ball is dimming and I can hardly see anything great happening for some time.
Are you suggesting St George; Illawarra; Magpies and Balmain teams in the NSW Cup. Leave two openings in the NRL for Perth (maybe West Aussie Tigers) and Adelaide (possibly Red + White with St George Bank sponsorship - yes l know they have hinted they might move on). Not sure that its a great situation for us and the tigpies but it might be a better fit for the NRL.
Sounds very Super Leaguish - no sure I could ever support the game again... but l am only one person.

On another tact, what do you think his wife is thinking right now, he has turned down 850k a year , family moving to Melbourne instead of their home town and she is left to

” We had support people around where he thought was needed “ So the position regarding a new football manager & recruitment manager has been filled ?

Great point about his wife and family. He could have set himself up for life and helped a lot of people along the way.

$850k for a rookie, that’s far and away more than ten times the average salary. It’s up there with running a uni with 10,000 staff and 50,000 students. Much more than the pm and pollies.

Ffs. How does one get too proud to sign onto that?

The point about the support people seems to indicate that the club was trying to get the ducks in a row for him. So we assume there was a concerted effort in the front and back office to ensure he had some means of success on his terms, although the 4 years wasn’t to his liking.

I remember John Howard spoke in reverence about the Australian cricket captain.

The coach sits just behind the sgi captain and the squad doesn’t he? I think that’s the order of importance for you guys?

It’s a very serious position, you don’t dip your toe in or out of it. It’s do or die. Too much at stake.

Ryles played us, we were in negotiations for at least a minimum month with Ryles, yet Melbourne did a deal in a day or so with him, please he played us, like the chick getting the ex boyfriend jealous by hanging out with a new guy BOOM it worked..

It looks a lot like that.

But I’d prefer to be angry with him as I think you entered into the discussions in good faith.

It may have been a bit reckless, but the only crime you seem to have committed is one of being trusting and being honourable.

So if anything, in my view, the club comes out of it unscathed and worthy of support this time around.

Sometimes it’s easy to condemn the club, but not this time.

The media will catch up later with Ryles evident shortcomings. Once it reads the room.

Budpower

Juniors
Stay positive! I was as excited about big Jase as anyone but for us TRUE fans who want to see local juniors get a run and have the true Dragons spirit that MAKE a club, well Ryles isnt that man, I think we dodged a HUGE bullet as one the boards objections was his request to have free reign bringing in his own players, as in import a whole team basically probably stack us full of roorters rejects at the EXPENSE of budding but passionate red n white juniors...Id rather have a team stacked with OUR kids and give them a go rather than cheer for basically a team 9/ 10ths stacked with imports, call me old fashioned but I BLEED RED N WHITE and want our kids to stack the team, I thank the board for staying true to this one crucial sticking point! The game and club are far bigger than one man, next....move on, well be right! GO DRAGONS!!!

justadragon

Bench

Not necessarily, they could have told him who they were planning to get if he signed.

I dare say his manager played us, he was just the bait.

Yeah, I thought about that scenario and it seems to me that his manager misses out on his whopping cut. 4 years at $850k say 7% and he’s done $238,000.00 gross.

That’s a few services to his Bugatti he will have to go without.

That’s in the hand now. Certain and bankable.

But of course he has young Desmond in his stable and it may be that Desmond can command more $ and accordingly the managerial cut equates to a greater return.

So it’s a roll of the dice, a high stakes play.

And some on the board may well be reluctant to deal with Mimis and his shadowy games again.

I would hesitate, but the club must come first and Des is the best available.

But at what cost? It can’t be an open cheque.

Intriguing.

Last edited:

Latest posts