What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

to_ddeath

Coach
Well Flanno got snubbed for the first round
I would laugh if he turned around and said bugger off you did not want me before..why now?
Or he says I will come on 1 condition
My staff for the football club..my way!. I want full control to build a future here
BOD stay out of football club decisions
That is where Griffin went wrong. He did not have full control and let others handle recruitment with a few wish list players thrown in. Yes he got his own assistants but he had lemons in the rest of football club support staff
Absolutely, supports have to be right & working towards the common goal, free of BS & external interference.
Just get all that done FFS, and ASAFP

Mojo

Bench
thanks mate, well that doesnt sound like he has told the club to stick their interview, more media hype I suppose, the days just keep on dragging on.
It’s getting beyond ridiculous isn’t it! Make a f***ing decision and get on with it. Why would they be interviewing Young a second time and only opening discussions with Flanno’s manager? I’ve urged a considered process but this is as slow as a wet week.

Nanadragon

Juniors
Are my sources correct in saying Dean Young was interviewed again today (for second time?) and that Flano has said to them he won’t be interviewed to go up against other contenders, his point being his record speaks for itself and if they want him they can approach him directly…. Doesn’t fill me with any confidence whatsoever
I hope that's wrong info Twinkletoes. I will stop supporting this Club if that's the case after 60 years. What a joke that would be. Another rookie coach old boy!

justadragon

Bench
It’s getting beyond ridiculous isn’t it! Make a f***ing decision and get on with it. Why would they be interviewing Young a second time and only opening discussions with Flanno’s manager? I’ve urged a considered process but this is as slow as a wet week.
Yeah Mojo 100%, I have no doubt that we are going to be out of the player market very soon, and we just dont need a coach, we need highly qualified people in other areas. They can bang on about getting it done all they like but if this is the way we are getting things done , it will really screw us if it hasnt already.

Mojo

Bench
Well Flanno got snubbed for the first round
I would laugh if he turned around and said bugger off you did not want me before..why now?
Or he says I will come on 1 condition
My staff for the football club..my way!. I want full control to build a future here
BOD stay out of football club decisions
That is where Griffin went wrong. He did not have full control and let others handle recruitment with a few wish list players thrown in. Yes he got his own assistants but he had lemons in the rest of football club support staff
Agree re requirements but I don’t think Hook would have succeeded even with a better footy dept. He consistently selected favourites and implemented terrible game plans and hopeless bench rotations. I doubt he’ll ever get another gig in NRL.

Unsainty79

Juniors
Interviewing people multiple times isn’t uncommon. I believe Flanagan and some others knocked back chance to interview while Hook was still coach out of respect to him.

Bin Chicken

Juniors
He was talking about '96 not '99

'96 was possibly the greatest coaching effort of the modern era.
When he started there was no CEO, half the board had quit, half the team was missing at other clubs and only a handful of players (if that) rocked up to the first training session.
Yes this is in my opinion the greatest coaching achievement in NRL history . They didn’t even have training gear and only a hand full of players to start preseason .

Mojo

Bench
There‘s not even a decision to weigh-up if it‘s between Flanno and Young. They need to close the deal with Flanno and get fair dinkum about recruiting the support staff and players needed. Fair dinkum, it’s supposed to be a major, established sports business. Can‘t they do more than one thing at a time? This is becoming embarrassing.

Nanadragon

Juniors
There‘s not even a decision to weigh-up if it‘s between Flanno and Young. They need to close the deal with Flanno and get fair dinkum about recruiting the support staff and players needed. Fair dinkum, it’s supposed to be a major, established sports business. Can‘t they do more than one thing at a time? This is becoming embarrassing.
Get a few of us girls onto it. We'd have it sorted in no time. By the way am I the only female on here?

Interviewing people multiple times isn’t uncommon. I believe Flanagan and some others knocked back chance to interview while Hook was still coach out of respect to him.

Same with Ciraldo and Madge, but the wussy went on to be Gus’s lil bitch.

He might not have been interviewed, but Flanagan hasn’t exactly been shy about whoring himself around the NRL.

He has that sense of desperation about him. The NRL coaching equivalent of a poor bloke washing and wiping your car windscreen at the traffic lights. He comes across as a bit too eager.

Des is more composed.

Des is also a much better coach and over the years, he’s signed numerous internationals and marquee.

They usually stay as well.

He’s big time. I hope he’s in the last round of talks.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Fair enough too. Nobody wants to be appointed as a result of subterfuge, especially a guy with Flanno’s background. But now Hook’s gone we should be smaking the baby’s bum , not still wondering how pregnant we might be.

Phantom V

Juniors
What gets me is it’s not just members of this forum pushing for Flannigan, it’s become the general consensus of everyone in the media including ex players who know a bit about the game. I can’t believe they’re even considering Young FFS!!

Phantom V

Juniors
Yeah Mojo 100%, I have no doubt that we are going to be out of the player market very soon, and we just dont need a coach, we need highly qualified people in other areas. They can bang on about getting it done all they like but if this is the way we are getting things done , it will really screw us if it hasnt already.
Young = mass exodus of our best players

denis preston

First Grade
AND it appears that the club is financially sound and has the money to get the right person. Ryles offer of 800k plus confirms this.

Parko1310

Juniors
Yes it's absolutely baffling that it's even considered a contest at all. Given the current candidates, Flanno is obviously, absolutely zero doubt, the best option. If Young's last name is not Young, he's no where near consideration. If the Titans or Knights coaching job becomes available at the end of the year, assuming we don't appoint Young, will his name even come up in discussion? Zero chance. None whatsoever. The club will almost certainly lose Hunt and Su'a off the back of the appointment. They can't be that dumb can they? Right??? It will just about be the final dagger for a lot of supporters as well.

Latest posts