What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching staff 2010 announcement

Serc

First Grade
COACHING PUZZLE NOW COMPLETE
By Stephen Mount

newcastleknights.com

Wednesday, 7 October 2009

The Newcastle Knights Board of Directors tonight endorsed recommendations from CEO, Steve Burraston for the following 2010 Coaching Appointments.

• NRL Assistant Coach – Craig Sandercock
(Former Manly Assistant NRL Coach)

• NRL Assistant Coach – Andrew Dunemann
(Former Gold Coast, Cowboys, Souths, Leeds & Salford player and Head Coach of Northern Pride Qld Cup team)

• NYC Head Coach – Garth Brennan
(Former Knights NYC Assistant Coach)

Speaking about the appointments tonight, Head Coach, Rick Stone said he was impressed with the quality of applicants and is looking forward to working with his new team.

“There were some extremely impressive and highly experienced people applying for the positions but unfortunately we could only choose three,” he said.

“We were very impressed with our final three appointees. They have extensive experience in the right areas and understand where we are heading as a club.”

“I’m confident they will offer the qualities we need and suit the style of coaching we are aiming to achieve. I have no doubt we have chosen the right people and I’m looking forward to building our new team of coaches from November when preparations for 2010 begin.”

CEO, Steve Burraston said tonight’s appointments were a mere formality and he has every confidence in Stone’s decision.

“It’s important we give Rick every opportunity to build a quality team of professionals around him to take the club’s on-field success to the next level,” he said.

“The Board and I have every confidence in Rick’s ability to identify the right people for the job and we are impressed with the calibre of people he has attracted to the positions.”

The Board also supported a recommendation to grant assistant NRL Coach, Trent Robinson a release from the final year of his contract following the appointments of Craig Sandercock and Andrew Dunemann.

“We were unable to release Trent before we found a replacement of equal or better quality and we believe we are now in that position,” said Steve Burraston.

“After an extensive interviewing process we offered positions to Craig and Andrew, now allowing Trent to be released to pursue other career opportunities.”

Stone said Robinson leaves with the club’s best wishes after establishing himself as a key member of the Newcastle Knights Coaching Staff during his tenure at the club.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/...display&id=20666&coaching-puzzle-now-complete

A lot of our young fellas will be happy with the appointment of Brennan. He was SG Ball coach before he got the NYC assistant's job, so he has a long standing relationship with the likes of Cook, Finn etc.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Dunemann is an interesting choice to say the least...

Interesting or not, it is a very good choice imo

The Nthern Pride made the Qld cup GF this year and considering the team of relative nobodies they had it was a bloody good effort and speaks volumes of the quality coaching they had.

Also with both Stones and Dunnies Qld Cup connections we will be in a good position to exploit the Qld jnr system which is very strong.

macavity

Referee
don't really know any of them, but have faith that we have gone through a proper selection process.

still think we should have got some $$$ out of the filthy rooters for releasing robbo.

Jono078

Referee
Dunemann signs Knights coaching deal

Emma Greenwood
Thursday, October 8, 2009
© The Cairns Post

THE Northern Pride is on the lookout for a new coach after Andrew Dunemann's move to the Newcastle Knights next season.
Dunemann’s loss is bittersweet for the Pride, which is thrilled for its coach but disappointed to lose the man who has taken the club to the cusp of a Queensland Cup rugby league title in just two seasons.

Pictures: Northern Pride 2009
A former NRL and English Super League player with clubs including the Cowboys, South Sydney, Canberra and Leeds, Dunemann has worked wonders in his first senior coaching position, taking the Pride to third place last season
before leading it to last month’s Queensland Cup grand final.

The 33-year-old received a call "out of the blue" from Knights coach Rick Stone and was offered a job on the Newcastle coaching staff after meeting him in Brisbane last week.

"I was surprised. I don’t know him or anything like that, it was very unexpected," Dunemann said of the approach from Stone, a former Queensland Cup coach at Burleigh who took over the Knights’ top job from Brian Smith late this season.

"It’s going to be pretty exciting. They’re going to need an assistant (to do) a fair bit," Dunemann said.

"(Stone) has his own ideas that are not negotiable, and that’s the way it should be, but to be developed, you really need to have a hands-on position, and it will be that."

Dunemann re-signed as Pride coach last month but had an NRL get-out clause in his contract.

Regardless of his ambition at the elite level, he said the decision to leave was not easy.

"It’s definitely a tough decision to walk away from here but if you want to get to where you want to be, it’s probably the next step for me."
Dunemann becomes the sixth Pride member to be promoted to NRL level in just two seasons.

Five players – Brett Anderson, Chris Sheppard, Greg Byrnes, Luke Harlen and Tom Humble – have either played NRL games or joined senior NRL programs since the inception of the club while Dunemann graduates from the coaching ranks.

Foundation Pride coach Adrian Lam linked with the Sydney Roosters as an assistant before the club’s first game.

The search for a new coach has already started with chief executive Denis Keeffe saying the club was likely to continue its tradition of promoting fresh talent.
Dunemann leaves the Pride in a strong position for 2010, though, after the signing of several players, including Melbourne Storm squad member Brett Anderson and Titans back Brenton Bowen.

"Whoever comes in to do my role, they’ve been blessed with a great set-up, a great club, a great group of players as well," he said.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/10/08/68635_local-sport-news.html
Wish someone would ring me out of the blue and offer me a job :(

And not sure if that is a good thing re Stone and his ideas, surely you have to be open minded and open to any suggestions from your assistants?

Whats Doing

Bench
It is a shame we didn't get Dunneman earlier which may have attracted Tom Humble who signed with Parra. He is an excellent half/5-8 who scored 34 points in one Q-Cup game.

Bicey_18

Bench
Great signing Dunemann.

He was a pretty good player with the Cowboys. Remember he terrorised us when we played the Cowboys in 98 at Dairy Farmers (or Malanda Stadium as it was called then).

Im sure he will do a great job as a Coach...

roopy

Referee
I think the coaching staff next year will make a lot of rookie errors, because they are rookies, but i also think they will have a lot of enthusiam and cutting edge knowledge to bring to a young and improving side, so we need to overlook the mistakes they make and get behind them for the good things they offer.
I'm sure Karma will jump on every error and bang on for months about it, but the real fans will know we are going from a head coach with decades of experience to a head coach with no experience (in the top job) and very inexperienced support staff.

slavetothevibe

Juniors
Slave to the vibe seems to remember announcing this news a few weeks ago re" sandercock but was removed due to no sources,..............

cram

Bench
Slave to the vibe seems to remember announcing this news a few weeks ago re" sandercock but was removed due to no sources,..............

Cram seems to remember that if you don't have a source then you should not post it. Cram seems to remember that has been a rule for many moons :shock:

slavetothevibe

Juniors
slave to the vibe didnt know, therefore slave to the vibe should have had a gentle reminder first via a PM before just having his post whipped.

You have starved the fans of what they want. the TRUTH (ha ha winding u up cram!)

I understand why you did it

For your information, my source was a member of the Knights coaching staff who has just been appointed with c**k in his surname, can you now understand why it would not have been good to reveal the source???

Didnt want him to get the sack before he started!

Slaaaaaaaaaaaaave to the viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiibe

cram

Bench
Hey Slavo... was not me who wiped your post... I have no power around here.... lol

Hanscholo

Bench
I dont really have an opinion on these guys, dont know them to comment. I am glad we are bringing int some fresh faces though and developing further some coaching talent in Dunneman.

I really hope we got compensated for Smith's boyfriend.

Latest posts