What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

docbrown

Coach
I think flooding a popular market isn't expansion.

I'd say that Brisbane is an under-serviced market given its size and support for the game.

NRL has a great chance to improve international rl by adopting a png or fiji team.

Given the other larger and richer markets ahead of them I'd suggest that those foreign countries in the mean time could be better serviced by increasing player quotas, bringing them into an NRL second division and improving the international system.

They can also force AFL out of once RL heartlands & fix grassroots footy by having a country rl team.

Its a good question, i was thinking one of either Bathurst, Dubbo. Wagga or Tamworth

When you compare those areas to places like Perth, Adelaide, Central Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and New Zealand they're very small markets.

I think regional NSW & QLD can be better served via splitting the country areas into 5 or 6 zones (Southern NSW, Central NSW, Northern NSW, Southern QLD, Central QLD, Northern QLD) and ensuring that each zone receives a minimum number of neutral NRL games each year.

Fact is in 95 and 96 the Crushers crowds were far better than the majority of clubs. Dropped off in 97 but so did nearly everyone else's.

I agree. I think its hard to extrapolate from the Crusher's performance 15 years ago during the Super League war to make a precedent for a new bid.

I would say though that the right Brisbane club with the right model could become one of the biggest in the league.

My PI idea has fans waiting for it too, the league mad nation of png for starters. An actual png team isn't practical, but I'm sure png would quickly warm to a team that makes it clear they are "png's team" and works in the community and etc.

Rather than creating a brand new club to represent them I wonder if an existing NRL club could basically remodel itself to become the defacto NRL club for islanders to support, similarly to the Bulldogs model. It might improve the fan base of a small club like Panthers or Sharks.

Given that Panthers have hosted the Samoa vs Tonga game perhaps they could capitalise on it given the support in Western Sydney.

Last edited:

Tone83

Juniors
There's a bigger discussion to be had, its all brothers related because they're showing a different way to approach expansion. When you think about the brothers concept you can see a way to address the png issue, and the brisbane issue at the same time.

ash the bash

Juniors
Fair enough we can talk about all that on another thread. Leave this for things concerning the Brothers bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A LONG-AWAITED return to the Queensland Cup could be Brothers' first step on the road to the National Rugby League.

Brothers' bid mastermind Justin Barlow said his team would be open to the move if NRL powerbrokers indicated it would aid the Leprechauns' chances of entering the league in 2018.

''If the NRL said to us that it's what it would like to see, we would do it.

''It makes sense for us to have a presence in some form (before 2018), whether that's Queensland Cup, FOGS Cup and colts, to help develop players and coaches and to get the football operations systems in place,'' Barlow said.

A former heavyweight of the Brisbane Rugby League, Brothers has been plugging away in second division competitions since financial strain forced the club to leave the Queensland Cup at the end of 2004.

Asked why the bid team had not aimed for a return to the state league before lobbying for NRL admission, Barlow said: ''The ability to generate money from a Queensland Cup side is a very difficult process. It's a much riskier proposition to go for the NRL, but it has the return as well.

''A Queensland Cup side is still a very worthwhile investment, but it's very difficult to generate revenue to return that investment.''

Barlow would not be drawn on the figure needed to establish an NRL club, but said the money would not be sourced from the vast empire that is the Confraternity of Brothers Clubs.

He said a feasibility study would likely be completed within the next month.

Brothers' proposal was met with scepticism from Brisbane Bombers bid chief Craig Davison, who said the rival consortium would not grow the game in the river city.

''Why would the NRL choose any team that is going to divide the community? Any new team that comes in needs to be a new team that is not alienating the Broncos .''

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest.../story-fn8m0qb4-1226633280331?from=public_rss

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The strength of the Brothers Leprechauns NRL bid may rest on the shoulders of its strongest club, Logan.

Of the 16 Brothers juniors who play in the NRL, Logan Brothers Rugby League Club has produced seven.

These include Australian captain Cameron Smith, Queensland Maroons enforcer Corey Parker and dual international Lote Tuqiri.

Logan Brothers president Paul McGrath said while the association could draw from about 50 clubs and organisations affiliated with the Leprechauns, its quality would be determined by its Logan division.

He said Logan Brothers consistently produced NRL standard players and the club's involvement in the bid would be pivotal as to whether Brothers fielded a first-grade standard side.

``Without a doubt the majority of the team in its current state would be Logan Brothers players and I don't think it would be too successful without us.''

McGrath said the club was yet to be approached regarding the bid and hasn't committed to anything.

``It is very ambitious but I have had a chat with them in regard to what they are trying to do.

``It is in its infancy stages but we will see what comes out of it and go from there.''

Confraternity President Brian Roberts said Logan continually produced elite players through the Brothers coaching and development structure.

``Logan Brothers would be an integral part of what we are after and it has produces some great footballers,'' Roberts said.

``Every Brothers club would be expected to have an option to come on board with the concept.''

Logan Brothers Rugby League Juniors:
Gerard Beale (Dragons)
Will Zillman (Titans)
Junior S'au (Storm)
Antonio Winterstein (Cowboys)
Lote Tuqiri (Tigers)
Corey Parker (Broncos)
Cameron Smith (Storm)

Other Brothers players:
Justin O'Neill (Storm) Townsville Brothers
Michael Morgan (Cowboys) Townsville Brothers
Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly) Mackay Brothers
Aiden Guerra (Roosters) Townsville Brothers
Sam Thaiday (Broncos) Townsville Brothers
David Shillington (Raiders) Brisbane Brothers
Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys) Townsville Brothers
Anthony Mitchell (Cowboys) Townsville Brothers
Scott Bolton (Cowboys) Innisfail Brothers

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...-and-lote-tuqiri/story-fn8oe3nk-1226633952007

kdalymc

Bench
I don't really get it.
And half of teams on brisbane south side we play have brothers in their name...
Like not just logan brothers, brothers logan wanderers, brothers st Brendan's, mustangs brothers (wtf),

flamin

Juniors
Brothers' proposal was met with scepticism from Brisbane Bombers bid chief Craig Davison, who said the rival consortium would not grow the game in the river city.

''Why would the NRL choose any team that is going to divide the community? Any new team that comes in needs to be a new team that is not alienating the Broncos .''

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest.../story-fn8m0qb4-1226633280331?from=public_rss

Why shouldn't the NRL choose a team that's going to divide the community? Isn't that exactly what they want to do to drive support either to the Broncos or another team? I don't understand Davison's point. How a bid that is a carbon copy of the Broncos like the Bombers going to get engage those fans who aren't supporting the Broncos?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why shouldn't the NRL choose a team that's going to divide the community? Isn't that exactly what they want to do to drive support either to the Broncos or another team? I don't understand Davison's point. How a bid that is a carbon copy of the Broncos like the Bombers going to get engage those fans who aren't supporting the Broncos?

It was worded strange, I think he was suggesting there is people supporting the broncos who would switch allegiances from the broncos thus diminishing their fanbase. But that is a guess as it didn't make much sense!

MrAnonymous

Bench
I don't really get it.
And half of teams on brisbane south side we play have brothers in their name...
Like not just logan brothers, brothers logan wanderers, brothers st Brendan's, mustangs brothers (wtf),

Brothers Logan Wanders ? When did they start ?

docbrown

Coach

Isn't that exactly what they want to do to drive support either to the Broncos or another team? I don't understand Davison's point. How a bid that is a carbon copy of the Broncos like the Bombers going to get engage those fans who aren't supporting the Broncos?

It won't. What Davison said was idiotic.

I've suspected for quite some time - as Perth Red also alluded to - that the Bombers bid is like "Broncos-lite" and is based around carving up existing Broncos supporters and turning them into Bombers supporters.

It's really going to be a cannibalization of the game's existing fanbase.

Instead the second Brisbane club should be aiming to -

* Convert every person with a previous/current Brothers affiliation into a Brothers NRL fan/member

* Convert every present and former BRL/QRL only supporters (those who didn't switch to NRL) into Brothers NRL fans/members

* Convert every rugby league fan in Brisbane and also Queensland that doesn't support the Broncos/Titans/Cowboys into Brothers NRL fans/members

* Convert non-rugby league fans to the code and into being Brothers NRL fans/members

That how they'll grow the game in an existing market.

some11

Referee

"Why would the NRL choose any team that is going to divide the community? Any new team that comes in needs to be a new team that is not alienating the Broncos."

lol, the Bombers bid is more alienating than Brothers'.

He may as well just have said their bid is poo ours is better na na na-na na.

parraparraparra

Juniors
The Brisbane Bummers try and make out broncos territory is south and west to run interference to west corridors. They are spin doctors.

kdalymc

Bench
Brothers Logan Wanders ? When did they start ?

Few years ago, play out of slacks creek, also shared the field with logan chiefs (3teams on one ground!)

Blue and red however there shorts are plastered with brothers logos/text etc

babyg

Juniors
It won't. What Davison said was idiotic.

I've suspected for quite some time - as Perth Red also alluded to - that the Bombers bid is like "Broncos-lite" and is based around carving up existing Broncos supporters and turning them into Bombers supporters.

It's really going to be a cannibalization of the game's existing fanbase.

Instead the second Brisbane club should be aiming to -

* Convert every person with a previous/current Brothers affiliation into a Brothers NRL fan/member

* Convert every present and former BRL/QRL only supporters (those who didn't switch to NRL) into Brothers NRL fans/members

* Convert every rugby league fan in Brisbane and also Queensland that doesn't support the Broncos/Titans/Cowboys into Brothers NRL fans/members

* Convert non-rugby league fans to the code and into being Brothers NRL fans/members

That how they'll grow the game in an existing market.

Don't forget all non-league supporting bible bashers will have a team to follow