What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

Gibbo

Juniors
Bad Luck Brian Canavan

3rusbs

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3rusbs/

hutch

First Grade
Hopefully the rest of the sport doesn't follow this ridiculous rule and we can watch real footy again at the rlwc.

magpie4ever

First Grade
You need to watch more tackles if you think there's always a clear cut difference.

In Round 26, Inglis performed a great try saver, but he bumped off Uate with his shoulder first up. Everyone thought it was great. Now it's illegal.

Players can get bumped off if the defender goes to make an arms tackle while leading with the shoulder.

That can happen in any tackle. I know because my neck is still sore from when it happened to me in a perfectly legal tackle two months ago.

Mate, I played the game for 25 years. I don't know your background but from day one I was taught to tackle as follows: hit with your shoulder and immediately wrap your arms around the tackle area, then go to ground dragging the ball runner with you. Only the girly boys did "arms only" tackles.

Anyone can get bumped off, missed tackles are part of the game. Also anyone who has played the game can tell a shoulder charge from a missed tackle.

Edward

Juniors
This is the wrong decision. The shoulder charged should've had stricter penalties enforced if contact was made with the head.

This decision will also cause more problems than it solves, for players and the referees.

My gut tells me something is going to be missing from the 2013 season (a season I was really looking forward to).

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What they did this year was fine. A shoulder charge to the head was a clear charge/suspension, but to outlaw it completely is over the top.

Im very disappointed in the ARLC in this decision.

Chainshada

Juniors
A couple more incidents like Yow Yeh's and they'll probably ban jumping for catches too, hell, they'd probably see it as win-win, removing injuries from falling and penalties for tackling mid-air in one fell swoop.

I might write them a letter and ask them if they can research where more injuries take place, first or second phase play. Maybe we can get rid of those silly offloads too.

mattyf

Juniors
Welp. that's me guys. I have had it with this sport removing everything that sets it apart from every other sport. I'm handing back my membership and merchandise and won't be seen at any matches or on here until the ban on Shoulder Chargers is lifted.

The Eagle

Juniors
Welp. that's me guys. I have had it with this sport removing everything that sets it apart from every other sport. I'm handing back my membership and merchandise and won't be seen at any matches or on here until the ban on Shoulder Chargers is lifted.

No team should have to have a half assed fan like you,good riddance

Evil_Mush

Juniors
0.05% of 142,000 is 710.
28 injurys to the attacker
7 to the defender
35 injurys in total.

No mention of how bad those were at all either. Pathetic.

AFL is the last game in Australia that allows the shoulder charge.
Yep, don't we look pathetic.

Seriously, how hard is it to say if you hit the head you get 6 weeks?

0.05% of 142000 is 71.
4% of 71 is 2.8
1% of 71 is 0.7
3.5 injuries in total.

Either that article is quoting incorrect percentages, or they have decided to ban shoulder charges because of 3 FREAKIN' INJURIES?!

Agree with the other Warriors fan that if this does indeed go ahead, the Roosters/Warriors clash just ain't gonna have the same feel, what with shoulder charge kings SBW & Ben Matulino facing off.

Agree that the solution should be harsher penalties to contact with the head.

Will see how that pans out.

Somebody should totally redo that 2012 NRL Promo ad with big "CENSORED"/"BANNED"/"ILLEGAL" words plastered over every instance of a shoulder charge and make that shit go viral.

roughyedspud

Coach
Look at my definition of a tackle above. Mate, have you ever played league?

i did'nt see your definition mate!.....and yeah since i was 6...

Mate, I played the game for 25 years. I don't know your background but from day one I was taught to tackle as follows: hit with your shoulder and immediately wrap your arms around the tackle area, then go to ground dragging the ball runner with you. Only the girly boys did "arms only" tackles.

Anyone can get bumped off, missed tackles are part of the game. Also anyone who has played the game can tell a shoulder charge from a missed tackle.

if you go back to what i said on page 40...its pretty much what i said

imo.....theres nothing wrong with a big shoulder hit as long your arms are wrapped around the attacker...

its the "shoulder charges" that look like your about to break a door down which should be banned.

magpie4ever

First Grade
i did'nt see your definition mate!.....and yeah since i was 6...

if you go back to what i said on page 40...its pretty much what i said

imo.....theres nothing wrong with a big shoulder hit as long your arms are wrapped around the attacker...

its the "shoulder charges" that look like your about to break a door down which should be banned.

That is a tackle - a highly legal one.

That is a shoulder charge - now banned.

Last edited:

***MH***

Bench
Would a protest to reinstate the shoulder charge be bigger than the protest to reinstate the Rabbitohs? I can't think of a more common cause uniting fans together to tell the Commission how we really feel.

Latest posts