What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters
I guess how much this actually affects the game will depend on what is defined as a shoulder charge and what players are still allowed to do. If the banning is more or less a formal version of what came into effect at the end of last year, I.e. players will go straight to the judiciary if they make unsafe contact with the head/neck of another player, then it is much ado about nothing. However, if it results in instant penalties for contact with the shoulder, judiciary and bans for any sort of that contact and the wiping out of the big highlight reel hits, then it's a terrible decision.

We'll have to wait and see what exactly they define as a banned shoulder charge and how they police the ban.

Well put mate, I'm worried that it will result in a penalty fest anytime somebody makes first contact with the shoulder

Springs

First Grade
Honestly a hard driving tackle usually hurts more than bouncing off a shoulder charge. I've broken an arm, kneecap and several ribs in the last four years and they have been from legal tackles.

How are they going to police it? If a player bounces off will they know if it was chest, arm or shoulder? If a player bounces off a shoulder even though the defender's intent was to wrap his arms around? I predict a lot of contentious decisions.

Canard

Immortal
Worst day in League for quite a while.

Really disappointed in the knee jerk reaction to this non issue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The thing is I'd rather the game not go bankrupt. That's what would happen if we get the lawsuits the NFL is facing. The NRL has been warned by the experts. It had no choice but to do this. Anyone opposed to this ban is blindly ignoring the medical and legal risks involved with allowing shoulder charges to happen. If YOU (and your mates who share your opinion) actually love rugby league, you would know this is a necessary and unavoidable step to protect rugby league in the long term and you would accept it.

I played linebacker for many years and nothing I loved more than "popping" someone helmet first and giving them what we affectionality called on the D a "snotbubbler" (hit them so hard snot streams from their nose!) I knew it really wasn't good for me or doing the old grey cells much good but loved it anyway. Same way I know drinking this bottle of red isn't doing my liver any good or the most risky thing I will do this week (statistically speaking) is drive home from the airport. Life is full of risk, if you are informed and know the risk but decide to take it anyway then tough sh1t if it goes wrong for you. I despair at what society is becoming.

@Bunnies and co - DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT ALL TACKLING IS NOT SOMEWHAT HARMFUL TO HEALTH?

If tackling is harmful to health (which it is) then should the ARLC not pre-empt law suits and ban tackling?

Ps. @hillbilly do you honestly think those videos were as good as this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJyKEnM3O4

Serious question - Bunniesman - WHO DID YOU PLAY RL FOR?

I think the vids that i posted are a lot better tackles than a shoulder charge.......in reference to your question to BM......so because a person has never played Rugby League, they are not entitled to an opinion, i have never played rugby league in my life and yet i have an opinion, are you saying that i am not allowed to comment on this subject

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
@Bunnies and co - DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT ALL TACKLING IS NOT SOMEWHAT HARMFUL TO HEALTH?

If tackling is harmful to health (which it is) then should the ARLC not pre-empt law suits and ban tackling?

Ps. @hillbilly do you honestly think those videos were as good as this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJyKEnM3O4

Serious question - Bunniesman - WHO DID YOU PLAY RL FOR?

Read the article again.

The shoulder charge occurs with 76% greater G force than a conventional tackle. The ARLC can't risk player safety with all the new CTE studies coming out.

You are saying for us to support rugby union because we want to see shoulder charges?? I don't understand :?

context mate people have said that, the shoulder charge is what distinguishes us from Rugby Union, i am saying that if you do not still think that Rugby League is better than Rugby Union even without the shoulder charge than dont watch Rugby League

No whats being said is having not played the game you can't speak from experience, nor be able to understand what its actually like on the field therefore your opinion wont be held in as high regard as others.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Read the article again.

The shoulder charge occurs with 76% greater G force than a conventional tackle. The ARLC can't risk player safety with all the new CTE studies coming out.

so what? Getting hit by 2 or 3 in the tackle probably is greater G's than a single tackler, do we change the rules? Hitting the ground probably has a greater impact rating than being stood up in a tackle, do we change the rules?
The occurence of serious injury is all that should matter and that report would suggest it is a very rare occurence to be injured in a shoulder charge. End of argument.

Skreepe

Juniors
I would wager decent coin that we get more concussions from players attempting conventional tackles and collecting the hip.

Game has gone soft.

Injury is part of the game, it has been from the start. The only people outraged by this seem to be overbearing mothers and dolts.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Honestly a hard driving tackle usually hurts more than bouncing off a shoulder charge. I've broken an arm, kneecap and several ribs in the last four years and they have been from legal tackles.

How are they going to police it? If a player bounces off will they know if it was chest, arm or shoulder? If a player bounces off a shoulder even though the defender's intent was to wrap his arms around? I predict a lot of contentious decisions.

C'mon, are you saying that someone who plays or played league can not distingush between a tackle and a shoulder charge.

Tackle - shoulder hits with the arms in the process of rapping around the body of the ball runner.

Shoulder Charge- shoulder hits, arms of the defender normally down by the side of the defender (not in the process of rapping around the ball runner)

Canard

Immortal
Will head highs now result in lawsuits? Ridiculous decision really pissed of at this.

Just ban it at a level appropriate I.e u16 etc

Campion

Juniors
Read the article again.

And presumably bigger players create a greater G force. So should we ban anyone who weighs over 100kg? Also, faster players create a greater G force. Let's ban them too.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
This is the first real big mistake the Commission have made since their formation. What a complete and utter concession of defeat and submission to the sensationalist media, the soccer mums and the Fumbleball pansies and their beat ups over the shoulder charge.

This is a disappointing day for Rugby League. I honestly thought the ARLC had demonstrated that they had a spine.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
C'mon, are you saying that someone who plays or played league can not distingush between a tackle and a shoulder charge.

Tackle - shoulder hits with the arms in the process of rapping around the body of the ball runner.

Shoulder Charge- shoulder hits, arms of the defender normally down by the side of the defender (not in the process of rapping around the ball runner)

So if a player immediately bounces off the shoulder before the defender has wrapped his arms around will it be a penalty for an accidental 'shoulder charge'?

It's not us who have to distinguish, it's the referres making heat of the moment decisions and it has the potential to be a very inconsistent ruling.