What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

bottle

Coach
f**k you St George fans and f**k you Telecrap. Just f**k you and your hysterical bullshit that led up to this.

That's right f**kwit, you and that Lockyer idiot keep pissing into the wind, shooting at shadows and avoid the real issues.

Meanwhile the most vociferous support for this decision on this forum comes from a Souffs fan you moron. Throw in a bit of Broncos, Bulldogs, Wests fan as well. That said, they are entitled to their view.

For mine it's a 'baby with the bathwater' scenario. Simply needed to penalise more heavily those that get it wrong. A ban is overkill and will simply confuse the issue more. Rubbish decision.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
smart call from the commish. they need to start looking after the players more and commentators/ex-players have been complaining about that for years.

will be interesting to see how they police it.

for mine they should have gone down the path of throwing the book at any contact with the head say 6 week minimum if a shoulder charge is done correctly and hits the player in the chest whats the damage?

i think players should stop using the shoulder charge so much anyway (are you listening mr sandow?) because they miss half the time its just an inefficient tactic

axl rose

Bench
I'm still going to watch the NRL. But I am going to frown the entire time.

This. Geyer on Hancock in 91 and Wally Lewis flattening Darryl Williams in 1989 my favourites.

Obviously they want to package and sell the game to the soccer moms, so she will let little Johnny play with her mind at ease. Shoulder charge or not it will always be a brutal game played by hard men. They will never change the perception of the sport.

Terrible decision.

magpie4ever

First Grade
So if a player immediately bounces off the shoulder before the defender has wrapped his arms around will it be a penalty for an accidental 'shoulder charge'?

It's not us who have to distinguish, it's the referres making heat of the moment decisions and it has the potential to be a very inconsistent ruling.

Mate, seriously. In any decent tackle since 1908 the shoulder hits then the arms immediately wrap around or the tackler falls off. The missed tackle is still an attempted tackle. There is no accidential shoulder charge.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Good decision. People jumping up and down have to remember that it only take ONE lawsuit to bring this game down. The ARL commission have made the unpopular but CORRECT decision.

magpie4ever

First Grade
for mine they should have gone down the path of throwing the book at any contact with the head say 6 week minimum if a shoulder charge is done correctly and hits the player in the chest whats the damage?

i think players should stop using the shoulder charge so much anyway (are you listening mr sandow?) because they miss half the time its just an inefficient tactic

Numerous subconcussions to the play runner from the whiplashing of the head.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good decision. People jumping up and down have to remember that it only take ONE lawsuit to bring this game down. The ARL commission have made the unpopular but CORRECT decision.

a lawsuit for what? The shoulder charge was a legitamate tackling technique until today Like any other tackle it was only outside of the rule if it connected high. What exactly do you think they could be sued for? You can't be sued if someone is following the rules of a game and injury ooccurs, if you could every single tackle that resulted in injury could be deemed negligent.

Chainshada

Juniors
I don't get why people are saying the shoulder charge is the only difference between League and Union..

Instead of being seen as the Rugby with the shoulder charge, we'll have the Rugby with the girlish scrums, so people can still differentiate.

chrisD

Coach
A decision that lowers the skill and bravery ceiling of our sport. That removes the greatest symbol of the unique physically intimidating nature of our sport. And that removes a spectacular differentiating aspect of our sport.

A decision made by bureaucrats under the guise of player protection but without their consultation or consent. A decision that says grown adults are not the most appropriate authority for determining the worthwhileness of the risks to their person in their chosen profession as it has stood for over a century.

A decision that says the fans have no say. That appeasement of commercial groups who routinely ignite, fuel and profit from the sport's inner turmoil is the greater priority than the enjoyment of the lifelong fan. A soulless decision that prizes the path of least resistance over the principles of the sport.

Apey

Staff member
Rothfield, Bunniesman & Lockyno1 think this is good news.

Not a single brain cell amongst them. One of them may actually be stupidity in human form.

The defence rests.

magpie4ever

First Grade
a lawsuit for what? The shoulder charge was a legitamate tackling technique until today Like any other tackle it was only outside of the rule if it connected high. What exactly do you think they could be sued for? You can't be sued if someone is following the rules of a game and injury ooccurs, if you could every single tackle that resulted in injury could be deemed negligent.

Look to the NFL in the USA; brain damage is not part of the game or should result from playing the game. They are suing their employer.

Springs

First Grade
Mate, seriously. In any decent tackle since 1908 the shoulder hits then the arms immediately wrap around or the tackler falls off. The missed tackle is still an attempted tackle. There is no accidential shoulder charge.

You need to watch more tackles if you think there's always a clear cut difference.

In Round 26, Inglis performed a great try saver, but he bumped off Uate with his shoulder first up. Everyone thought it was great. Now it's illegal.

Players can get bumped off if the defender goes to make an arms tackle while leading with the shoulder.

Numerous subconcussions to the play runner from the whiplashing of the head.

That can happen in any tackle. I know because my neck is still sore from when it happened to me in a perfectly legal tackle two months ago.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I don't get why people are saying the shoulder charge is the only difference between League and Union..

Instead of being seen as the Rugby with the shoulder charge, we'll have the Rugby with the girlish scrums, so people can still differentiate.

That will fire up the tough lounge lizards who believe the shoulder charge is the Everest of toughness in the modern game.:D

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Rothfield, Bunniesman & Lockyno1 think this is good news.

Not a single brain cell amongst them. One of them may actually be stupidity in human form.

The defence rests.

This pretty much sums it up. Rugby league has changed forever to satisfy these people. What a joke. Time to march for the shoulder charge.

Get the lawyers in to waterproof against future lawsuits then play on.

Latest posts