What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

Danish

Referee
Incorrect. But thats not your fault.

I knew this would happen as soon as I hear the "Shoulder charge" was banned. The ARLC should of worded it better. But as of now, what is a official shoulder charge is banned. This definition of a shoulder charge is completely different to the fans.

basically, you are allowed to shoulder charge as long as you make some attempt to use the arms. The refs have been refereeing it really well. That is now a shoulder charge.

The fans definition and the old definition of the players and coaches was is now what is a shoulder tackle. Aka, a shoulder charge with the use of arms.

You think Graham was attempting to use the arms yesterday? :lol:

He lined Idris up, charged in and dropped the shoulder. Smashed him good too, put him right on his arse. It was Morley-esque

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Actually, Graham's arm clearly struck Idris on the upper chest, not his shoulder.

Several replays confirmed this.

eozsmiles

Bench
Graham's was legal because it wasn't a shoulder charge. Didn't tuck his elbow in and got his arms into a position to attempt a tackle.

You can still tackle without using the arms as long as you hit the ball runner with your chest/torso.

Springs

First Grade
It's proved the ban is completely pointless. Players are still being hit just as hard, and getting knocked in the head. So the ban meant to stop subconcussions and all that bullshit has failed after one round. Pearce was knocked in the head by a shoulder, that wasn't a shoulder charge. And with all the bullshit about player safety and head knocks, both halfbacks in the first game of the season received big head knocks and lo and behold, stayed on the field.

All that happened is we are missing out on some spectacular hits. Tell me how banning the shoulder charge has improved the spectacle or the safety in any way.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's proved the ban is completely pointless. Players are still being hit just as hard, and getting knocked in the head. So the ban meant to stop subconcussions and all that bullshit has failed after one round. Pearce was knocked in the head by a shoulder, that wasn't a shoulder charge. And with all the bullshit about player safety and head knocks, both halfbacks in the first game of the season received big head knocks and lo and behold, stayed on the field.

All that happened is we are missing out on some spectacular hits. Tell me how banning the shoulder charge has improved the spectacle or the safety in any way.

Bolded for emphasis. What a bunch of hypocritical merkins these club docs are.

Hanscholo

Bench
After one weekend of football people are prepared to say they don't lament something with a hundred years of history. Pretty much sums up why i wipe my arse with your opinion.

adamkungl

Immortal
After one weekend of football people are prepared to say they don't lament something with a hundred years of history. Pretty much sums up why i wipe my arse with your opinion.

Good to see how little respect fans have for the game, isn't it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Rugby league is a great sport. It does not need the shoulder charge. It is still great without it. The sky has not falled in. The world has not ended. Rugby league will still be great forever without a low skill, low percentage dangerous tackle.

afinalsin666

First Grade
The problem was always that it wouldn't remove the massive collisions like they said it was going to, nor accidental head highs. It couldn't, and fans with football sense knew that. The players are hitting just as hard with their chest as with their shoulders, so the sub-concussion impacts are still there and not alleviated in any way shape or form.

I get the ban was for player safety, but it hasn't helped, the game is just as hard.

So no, i don't miss the shoulder charge, just still don't understand the point.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Wade Graham on Idris was a stiff arm across the chest. Stiff arms are more common in nz because the shoulder charge has been banned for years plus i think its more effective. Also the hit from Ferguson was a beauty and much more entertaining than someone flyin out of the line after a kickoff. You can still use ur shoulder just that if ur arm is tucked it constitutes a shoulder charge. Just bend ur knees and swing your arm when you make contact and you wont get penalised. Was never really impressed by the shoulder charge real hitters like tonie carrol and ruben wiki could hit without tucking their arm in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If anyone of you need the shoulder charge to love rugby league, you don't really love rugby league at all.

no we loved the shoulder charge, a part of the game. The games fabric is being wittled away so softcocks xan sleep soundly in their beds at night. It's a tough game, played by tough men and women, or at least it used to be.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I get the ban was for player safety, but it hasn't helped, the game is just as hard.

Everyone knows the ban wasn't for player safety but rather a preventative legal measure. If RL plays it smart they can still let the borderline and even a bit more go and still cover themselves for future lawsuits.

natheel

Coach
not being missed. But a few have gone sneakily and even commentators over look it. Only time i thought it shouldn't have been penalised was Elijah Taylors one in the Warriors v Eels game. Felt weird seeing it being penalised.

Only time it will really be pulled up is if there is ever one like Inglis on Young again where a player is left injured. Other wise it'll be over looked most of the time

hitman82

Bench
Hah. The only shoulder charge I saw penalised was Elijah Taylor with the softest shoulder charge of ALL TIME. He literally bumped into the ball carrier with the softest impact possible. No aggression, no intent, no chance of anyone getting hurt... yet it was penalised. Hilariously stupid by Elijah Taylor and hilariously stupid new rule by the NRL. All the dangerous hits they apparently wanted to eradicate are still happening just like normal.

de$$ie

Juniors
Surprise surprise, the lowest common denominators of society can't seem to grasp the concept of plausible deniability.

The shoulder charge is dead and buried, in the form we knew it. You wouldn't want to players to band together and sue the NRL for allowing them to play whilst knowing the risks, would you? It's a very real possibility in America with the NFL so it makes sense our reactionary administration collectively shit brix when this one came up.

Boy

Juniors
i understand the "shoulder charge" still exist
but i mean imagine if you were still allowed to tuck the arm would SBW have been steam rolled as hard

i mean he probably still would have bounced back but no were near as bad

Latest posts