What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

firechild

First Grade
why no calls to ban hockey after the recent death of an elite player?

For the same reason noone is calling to ban league.

Hockey has a very high risk of injury (I've seen some horrific injuries including facial injuries) but a substantially lower risk of concussion. Sure people get knocked out by a wayward ball every now and then but there is no constant jarring of the brain.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Anyone else see that article the other day about NFL player life expectancy? I can't remember the exact numbers but -

Since 1993 they've run a census to study NFL player premature death and found that although they expected about 600+ players to have died so far only 350 odd have.

NFL players are actually living longer than the general population.

Ok, so we all should go out an play NFL and we will live longer - are you serious. The brain damage in retired NFL players is well recognised and proven by studies. There is no argument - watch 4corners next week.

docbrown

Coach
Ok, so we all should go out an play NFL and we will live longer - are you serious. The brain damage in retired NFL players is well recognised and proven by studies. There is no argument - watch 4corners next week.

I think it was pretty obvious that original comment wasn't an argument against it, it's just an interesting observation given the current discussion. There has long been a premature death myth in the NFL - that is now busted.

On head knocks I agree with this comment -

"I think that we need to be pretty careful how we interpret the (US research) because their game is completely different, you know? The aim of their game is to actually crash into each other with their heads you know, so potentially players are playing concussed. We don't have any such thing in our game and we take any head contact very seriously." Rugby League doctor

magpie4ever

First Grade
I think it was pretty obvious that original comment wasn't an argument against it, it's just an interesting observation given the current discussion. There has long been a premature death myth in the NFL - that is now busted.

On head knocks I agree with this comment -

"I think that we need to be pretty careful how we interpret the (US research) because their game is completely different, you know? The aim of their game is to actually crash into each other with their heads you know, so potentially players are playing concussed. We don't have any such thing in our game and we take any head contact very seriously." Rugby League doctor

Sorry, rugby league doctor but the aim of the game is NOT to actually crash into each other with their heads you know (Doc, you obviously have never watched a game of NFL closely - it is to tackle of ball runner or block for the ball player. The helmet was introduced (from headgear) in an attempt to soften the blow of accidental headclashes. Lord Help Me - if we have medicial professionals like the said Rugby League Doctor.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Sorry, rugby league doctor but the aim of the game is NOT to actually crash into each other with their heads you know (Doc, you obviously have never watched a game of NFL closely - it is to tackle of ball runner or block for the ball player. The helmet was introduced (from headgear) in an attempt to soften the blow of accidental headclashes. Lord Help Me - if we have medicial professionals like the said Rugby League Doctor.

I watch plenty of NFL - Giants ahem... !Super Bowl Champions! fan :cool:

NFL isn't supposed to be about charging with the helmet but unfortunately the helmet is harder than a human body so players try and hit their opponents with the strongest weapon they've got.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I watch plenty of NFL - Giants ahem... !Super Bowl Champions! fan :cool:

NFL isn't supposed to be about charging with the helmet but unfortunately the helmet is harder than a human body so players try and hit their opponents with the strongest weapon they've got.

Totally agree, was introduced for safety now it is used as a weapon.

Let's face it, the issue is the whiplash of the head and the brain bouncing around in the skull due to the said whiplash. The shoulder charge probably creates about 70-80% of this in league. The game is too great of a game for that crap and the damage that will be created for players in their future years.

magpie4ever

First Grade
People shouldn't be so quick to write this off because the NFL is different, the NHL has had several of their high profile players miss extended periods through concussions. This is an issue in any sport in which players risk concussion on a regular basis.

Here's a great article about the NHL's battle with concussions and the notion of tradition.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7352942/waiting-science

Mate, great article. RL needs to immediately banned the shoulder charge or face, somtime in the future, civil legal action from a brain damaged ex-player - it called duty of care.

thorson1987

Coach
Totally agree, was introduced for safety now it is used as a weapon.

Let's face it, the issue is the whiplash of the head and the brain bouncing around in the skull due to the said whiplash. The shoulder charge probably creates about 70-80% of this in league. The game is too great of a game for that crap and the damage that will be created for players in their future years.

Bullshit.

The majority of concussions would be caused by accidental head clashes and the tackler putting his head in the wrong spot.

Banning shoulder charges would not prevent concussions.

And you go on about whiplash potentially causing damage to the brain, but you have players like fensom from the raiders who would cause more damage from a legitimate tackle compared to someone putting a shoulder charge on.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Bullshit.

And you go on about whiplash potentially causing damage to the brain, but you have players like fensom from the raiders who would cause more damage from a legitimate tackle compared to someone putting a shoulder charge on.

Are you saying whiplash does not have potential to cause damage to the brain; then you should go to a motor vehicle accident seminar.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Just watched the Bris v Manly game (can not stand either team but), outside of a couple of micro late hits on the ball passer there was not one - what I describe - as a shoulder charge and it was a great hard physical contest. The crap is not needed for a great game of football.

thorson1987

Coach
Are you saying whiplash does not have potential to cause damage to the brain; then you should go to a motor vehicle accident seminar.

What I am saying is a solid tackle around the waist can cause as much damage in regards to whiplash as a shoulder charge.

thorson1987

Coach
yes it would. Just not all of them.

Than why outlaw shoulder charges.

If they want too to prevent concussions we might as well play f**king touch football or oz tag.

Although I have seen a fair few concussions from oztag, better ban that sport too.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Bullshit.

The majority of concussions would be caused by accidental head clashes and the tackler putting his head in the wrong spot.

Banning shoulder charges would not prevent concussions.

Mate, I believe about 70% of concussions (or subconcussions) result from the shoulder charge, the other 30% are from what you stated plus the occasional high tackle. You will never get rid of the later as it is a contact sport, but if suddenly 7 out of 10 concussions or subconcussions disappear - how is that a bad thing.[/quote][/QUOTE]

magpie4ever

First Grade
What I am saying is a solid tackle around the waist can cause as much damage in regards to whiplash as a shoulder charge.

That is a ridiculous statement, if it was true everyone who laced on a boot would be a dribbling mess.

Do you know what a subconcussion is? A boxer will suffer hundreds of them in a 12 round fight - you don't need to be knocked out.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
What is so great about the shoulder charge; it has really only been in the game about 6-7 years. Is it because all the gaybees on their NRL X-box or playstation game can tried to amulate their heros.

These are real people who need to live long after they retired and hopefully not with the early onset of dementia, depression etc.

It was never a pussies game before the shoulder and will not be one long after the shoulder charge is gone.

Thorson1987, bet you would not advocate pushing in scrums, having competition for the ball - no that is too much like oztag, touch.

Last edited:

Latest posts