What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comp could be down to 5 chances?

Noa

First Grade
Tohu back for the Storm this week but Slade Griffen out. John Leiataua playing Easts this week and has been very good. Dont think you'll see the 100% full strength team go around till the last 6 or 7 rounds which will look something like this

1. Sean Loxley Fullback
2. Young Tonumaipea/Eddie Faamusili Winger
3. Brayden Williame Centre
4. Mahe Fonua Centre
5. Ryan Pooley Winger
6. Matt McGahan Five-eighth
7. Benjamin Hampton Halfback
8. Jorden Mclean Prop
9. Slade Griffen Hooker
10. Karl Davies Prop
11. Tohu Harris 2nd Row
12. Kirisome Auva'a 2nd Row
13. Kenneath Bromwich Lock

14. John Leiataua Interchange
15. Krys Freeman Interchange
16. Damien Sironen Interchange
17. Jarome Wilson Interchange

McGahan will be much better the last 3rd of the year as well.

AliN

Live Update Team
Bullyboy tactics is a bit harsh, but I agree with Warriors junior side does tend to rely on their raw strength and size advantage to dominate opposition sides at this level, and it's not necessarily giving them the best grounding for NRL. It's also why they got shown up by the Storm, who play structured, disciplined footy even at this level.

Dead right Spacie, Ackland still has a lot of work to do on these young fullas, but the potential is definitely there.
The Storm are going well.

ozbash

Referee
with the Storm playing so well now, is it a case of them peaking too early ?

re bullyboys,, last year the Warriors pack was smaller and more mobile. This year there are some bloody huge new kids and the physical side of their game dominates.

I think Ackland is in a great position once these bigger forwards develope mentally towards the game.

There is huge pressure on these younger kids to emulate last years success.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I think they'll go real close maybe all the way. the bully boy thing was aimed at morrell mostly. in the last game he played hard but went over the top a couple of times & there's no need because he is so physically strong anyway. raw talent everywhere but don't know if it's enough. my money is on Storm once they settle on THE team.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Tigers half pairing is the best in the comp and they have great front rowers

They'll be there abouts.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
with the Storm playing so well now, is it a case of them peaking too early ?

re bullyboys,, last year the Warriors pack was smaller and more mobile. This year there are some bloody huge new kids and the physical side of their game dominates.

I think Ackland is in a great position once these bigger forwards develope mentally towards the game.

There is huge pressure on these younger kids to emulate last years success.

Not saying they're going to be running hot from here on in & maintain it but really, they are still way off from peaking...

Noa

First Grade
^Yep, theyll be moving some players up to QLD & NSW cup as well as the NRL the next month or so to have a look at them so we wont be peaking for a while.

Iafeta

Referee
Interesting comments on the Warriors being a bunch of bullyboys. I think they're undersized in the front row especially. Donald Tony was playing lock last year and is playing prop this year. Fotofili looks to me to be more a lock than a prop as well. Even the guys who have been coming off the bench like Sao and Paasi don't strike me as being big. I think the Warriors are quite a mobile pack. The only one who stands out as being huge is Sam Lousi.

isaiah

Bench
i think we can safely scratch the sharks off this list if stewart mills stays in the nrl side, aybe the knights may make a run now to be the 5th chance
knights down 8-0 v eels. surely they will come back and win?

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Interesting comments on the Warriors being a bunch of bullyboys. I think they're undersized in the front row especially. Donald Tony was playing lock last year and is playing prop this year. Fotofili looks to me to be more a lock than a prop as well. Even the guys who have been coming off the bench like Sao and Paasi don't strike me as being big. I think the Warriors are quite a mobile pack. The only one who stands out as being huge is Sam Lousi.

Wasn't what was said - bully boy tactics used sometimes was the gist. I'm a kiwi (Maori) & have seen that element in the game locally & at warrior level . we revel in the big hits etc which is fine but sometimes there's a grubby edge to it that takes away from the skillful play. hey, it's to intimidate but hard tackling & showing no mercy does that anyway & the young guns can do that in spades - no need for the other. BTW it isn't about size - big doesn't mean bully. you're right re warriors size, mobility & I agree with the other poster, once they get their heads around playing at this level, some of them will go onto nrl

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
That was always my biggest problem with Likiliki and why I wasn't sad to see him go. Had the footwork, speed and skill to beat any player, but too often felt the need to try and bully them, and when it didn't work he got frustrated and made some ordinary mistakes.

I get the feeling that under Bennett he'll either hit it big or be out the door very quickly. On past form he's not the sort of player that Bennett would tolerate for long.

Noa

First Grade
Sharks to good today for us so well done to them.

Team has been coasting last month and a half though so this should re-focus them. Probably thought with T back all they had to do was wake-up this morning.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Sharks to good today for us so well done to them.

Team has been coasting last month and a half though so this should re-focus them. Probably thought with T back all they had to do was wake-up this morning.

haha.
probably didnt help with no griffin either.
I did doubt him in regards to his move to hooker but he is quite solid for a starting hooker no doubt.

But they tried three hookers on saturday..
Smith is tiny.
Gideon is young.

But if griffin was out permanently I would go as afar as write them off.

Also fonua was a big loss too.
He is up with there with Hurrell with the strongest runners in nyc.
However fonua is not quite as raw as hurrell.

Noa

First Grade
You could be right about Griffen but in big game I think theyd go with Freeman if Griffen was out, nor will you see 2 hookers on the bench again. Smith is shit and Gideon is very young and WONT be a hooker from what Ive seen in Sg Ball......Edited to add havent watched the game so didnt notice Freeman did play hooker. With 5 auto selections not playing and 2 more hookers on the bench it was a very unbalanced side.

Last edited:

overandout

Juniors
You could be right about Griffen but in big game I think theyd go with Freeman if Griffen was out, nor will you see 2 hookers on the bench again. Smith is shit and Gideon is very young and WONT be a hooker from what Ive seen in Sg Ball......Edited to add havent watched the game so didnt notice Freeman did play hooker. With 5 auto selections not playing and 2 more hookers on the bench it was a very unbalanced side.

Something that has little bearing when the result goes your way though Noa.

Raiders (and other teams) have been going through it for weeks and you give it no weight but you lose and all of a sudden BINGO.

Rugby League dont work like that remember.:lol:

Noa

First Grade
Go re-read the post, it was about the flow of the game not having players out, maybe your referring to Cloudsurfer. At no stage did I say Wighton and Williams wouldnt have made a difference.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
& neither did I. Was saying its no use talking about 'gift' tries because its only a gift because you have taken advantage of a mistake by your opposition & thats how it is. My other comments about peaking applied to the Storm & probably every other team at this stage of the comp, plus Storm is going through some changes (for all the reasons you said Noa) & are far from fielding their strongest team yet. Pay does a lot of changes - did it last year too but is giving some younger guys a run because later some of the older ones are going to be trying their hand at the higher grades.
Having said that the team lined up for the next game (Rabbitohs) looks pretty good to me. Whether they gel is another story...hope so

overandout

Juniors
& neither did I. Was saying its no use talking about 'gift' tries because its only a gift because you have taken advantage of a mistake by your opposition & thats how it is. My other comments about peaking applied to the Storm & probably every other team at this stage of the comp, plus Storm is going through some changes (for all the reasons you said Noa) & are far from fielding their strongest team yet. Pay does a lot of changes - did it last year too but is giving some younger guys a run because later some of the older ones are going to be trying their hand at the higher grades.
Having said that the team lined up for the next game (Rabbitohs) looks pretty good to me. Whether they gel is another story...hope so

So therefore it would be no use talking about team strength because thats how it is?

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
So therefore it would be no use talking about team strength because thats how it is?

I'm not arguing with you mate, just not sure of your point. a 'gift' try can happen at any level & does - they come from human error & even the best team can make errors - why its not a gift is it comes down to the ability of the other person/team to capitalise on an error. resulting points count on the scoreboard hence 'thats the way it is'. However it is but ONE element in a game along with team strength, individual talent, game plans, & so on...at U20s level where they're still learning the finer points in all aspects of the game, some elements have greater impact & can change from game to game - especially if team players change from week to week - hence I actually agree that not having key players on the day can alter a game at that level hugely. IMO this is ONE of the reasons the Sharks routed Storm. Plus, the Sharks came to play & they went unaswered till the last 15 mins which was far too late. Good stuff.
Also, I know that of that age group only 300 get the opportunity to make U20s & not all of them will go to the next level, for various reasons. Those that are standout & who can change a game week in and week out are identifiable and have every chance of succeeding. if a team is strong overall they will win games & their game breakers will add the icing on the cake. If all the teams were at that standard it'd be one helluva comp to watch!