What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.times-age.co.nz/localspo...ocalsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Hannam signs with Warriors

By Gary Caffell
A former Masterton boy is heading for the top in rugby league.
Kane Hannam, 16, has signed a four-year contract with the Warriors under-20s Toyota Cup team and the past pupil of Masterton West Primary School has NRL selection at the top of his priority list.
A son of Wayne and Sharon Hannam who lived at Grey Street in Masterton before the family moved to Auckland in 1997 and a grandson of Ken and the late Lyn Hannam of Masterton and Gladys and the late Alan Bold, also residents of Masterton, Kane Hannam was first introduced to rugby league in 1997.
And he didn't take long to make an impact, being named most improved player for the New Lynn Stags under-7s in his first year and scoring more than 100 points for them over the next three seasons, during which he won their most aggressive tackler and most courageous player awards
Hannam was a Waitakere under-10, under-11 and under-12 representative in 2002, 2003 and 2004 respectively and he made the Auckland under-13 side in 2005.
The season after that he was named as the best defensive player in the Auckland under-14s and was part of a national junior training camp. The 2007 season saw Hannam captain the Waitakere under-15s, named most consistent player in the Auckland under-16s and also awarded the trophy for most promising schoolboy at club level where he played for Bay Roskill Vikings. And national honours also came his way, being included in the under-15s New Zealand Junior Kiwis side
This year Hannam, now playing for Richmond Bulldogs under-16s, was selected as skipper of the New Zealand Maori side in that age group and after trialling successfully for the Warriors development squad he was "picked up" by two of the big names in New Zealand rugby league, Tony Iro and Dean Bell, for the Junior Warriors Toyota Cup team, signing the four-year contract in the process.
Hannam, who is 1.8m tall and weighs in at 83kg, generally plays in the second row and has also tasted considerable success in track and field, as a sprinter, long jumper, discus thrower and shot putter.
A younger brother Shane is making big waves in rugby league too, having already played for the Auckland and New Zealand Maori under-14 sides. He is currently recovering from a broken leg,

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=17268

Melbourne Storm Captain Cam Smith has today committed his long term future to the Club, signing a contract extension that will see him remain in Melbourne until at least the end of the 2012 season.
After attracting intense interest from rival clubs, the Club’s highly credentialed leader has agreed to a new agreement and is excited to be remaining at the Club for the foreseeable future.

Godz Illa

Coach
Tigers keep Todd Payten til end of 2011

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/12/11/Tigers_lock_in_Todd_Payten

The Wests Tigers have secured the services of prop Todd Payten for a further two years, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2011 season.

The 29-year-old is a 202 game NRL veteran, with 2009 marking his 14th year in the top grade.

"One of my aims is to play 250 first grade games in the NRL. If I can achieve that goal, I would be pretty happy," Payten said.

"By re-signing for a few more years, it shows the quality of the pack we have and hopefully it will lead to some more talented players signing with Wests Tigers."

Payten has played 94 matches in the Tigers colours since his debut in 2004.

"We are very happy Todd has agreed to stay at Wests Tigers," said Recruitment Manager Warren McDonnell.

"Todd is very much a leader at Wests Tigers and the experience he passes on, particularly to the younger players, is very vital to the club.

"His decision to re-sign means it almost completes the formation of the Wests Tigers pack for the next few years. It means we now have Todd Payten, Keith Galloway, Bryce Gibbs, Chris Heighington, Daine Laurie and Gareth Ellis signed until at least the end of 2011.

"We also have a number of talented young forwards coming through the Toyota Cup competition. There will be plenty of strength in the Wests Tigers forward pack in the next few seasons."

AILD

Bench
btw..according to the storm kenny edwards did not sign with us. he went to the dragons apprently.

Pumba

First Grade
Picker Brothers remain in Canberra

There was an early Christmas present for the Picker family today at Raiders HQ, with brothers Michael and Ben Picker both re-signing contracts with the Raiders to keep them in Canberra for at least the next two seasons.

The two younger members of the Picker clan have emulated their older brother Joe's re-signing earlier this season, with Michael re-signing until 2010 while Ben joins Joe at the Raiders until the end of 2011.

After steering the Raiders to a Toyota Cup premiership in 2008 from five-eighth Michael said he's happy he's been able to remain in Canberra with his brothers, and is already keen to build on his achievements of the season passed.

"It's great to have my future sorted before Christmas and the New Year, and I can now come back looking forward to 2009 and know that I'm here for a bit longer," Michael said. "For us being brothers and knowing that we're all here together is great, and there's a real family feeling around the club amongst all the players."

Michael said its great to have his brothers with him at the Raiders and he's enjoying living in Canberra with his older brother Joe, but said younger brother Ben still had to wait before he claimed the spare room at their place.

"Having your family at the club you know you've always got someone to turn to and someone to talk to if things aren't going well, and you can do the same for them," he said. "Mum's not prepared to let him [Ben] leave home yet, so he's got to finish year eleven and twelve in Crookwell before he comes over permanently."

After a stunning 2008 season which saw him cement an NRL position and play representative football for the Prime Ministers XIII, Joe Picker said it's great to see his brothers making the same steps he's made in the past.

"We all wanted to stay together if we could and it's turned out that we are so we're all pretty happy with it," Joe said. "This is the closest club to our home in Bigga and we enjoy it here and we're a tight knit family who likes to hang around each other."

"We've all done the traveling at junior level and now that Ben's doing it he knows where you can go if you work hard."

As the youngest of four brothers Ben has established himself at junior level with the Green Machine in the under 16's competition at hooker, and will use the next three seasons to make his way through the Raiders ranks.

Ben Picker said he'll carry on the family tradition of traveling to train with the Raiders while he's still at school, and is already keen to get back on the field after a broken wrist ended his 2008 season early.

"I'll stay at home and go to school in Crookwell and travel over to train. I've watched the boys do it before so I know what's involved," Ben said. "I'm really looking forward to getting back out there this year and hopefully making my own way into the higher grades in the future."

Link

Patorick

Staff member
http://kempsey.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/howe-gets-a-call-up/1390896.aspx

GOLD Coast Titans recruit Sam Howe has revealed he nearly returned home to Kempsey after a tough move to Tweed Heads at the end of last year to pursue an NRL contract.“It was definitely different. It was very hard at first and I was close to coming home at one stage, but my family told me to stick it out,” he said.
The apprentice cabinet maker said leaving his family and friends in the Macleay was one of the toughest decisions he had made, but the move was now paying dividends.
“I got a call from the Titans the other week to say I’d been picked in their 30-man Toyota Cup squad,” Howe said.
Howe has spent the past year plying his trade with the Tweed Head Seagulls in the FOGS (Former Origin Greats) under 20s competition, the pre-cursor to the Queensland Cup.
It was a stellar year for the 19 year-old, who grabbed both the best forward and best and fairest awards for the Seagulls.
Playing in the front row or at lock, Howe has quickly established a reputation as a devastating ball runner and said his aim was to play at least half of the Titans Toyota Cup games in 2009.
“There’s a fair bit of talent there so it’s going to be tight for spots,” he said.
“My goal is to play 10 games. I’d be really happy with that.”
A former Smithtown Tigers junior, Howe played two seasons with the Macleay Valley Mustangs under 18s side before signing with the Titans and moving north.
He said since joining the Seagulls, his game had gone up another gear and he was now looking forward to showcasing his talents on a larger stage.
“It’s a pretty tough competition up here. I was pretty surprised at how intense it was,” he said.
“Now I’m ready to take it to the next level.”
The Titans begin their Toyota Cup campaign against the Knights when the 2009 NRL season kicks off in mid March

Patorick

Staff member
http://young.yourguide.com.au/news/...an-storms-into-two-year-contract/1391145.aspx

YOUNG Rugby League star in the making Jordan McLean has become the latest in a long list of local football stars, recently signing a two year contract with NRL club Melbourne Storm. Jordan has just spent his first week in training with the club’s under 20s Toyota Cup side and is absolutely loving the experience.
“It’s been a full on week of fitness and training with the coach and the rest of the squad,” Jordan said.
“There is 30 in the squad so we are all working hard for a spot in the starting line-up come the start of next season.”
Jordan gained significant notice from the club scouts following tryouts in Newcastle for NSW, backing up with a strong performance in the development side which took on France earlier in the year.
He now has the luxury and pressure of being paid to train and play with coaches and professional support behind him however Jordan is also in the process of finding an electrical apprenticeship.
“It is a requirement to play and the club is providing a lot of help in the process,” Jordan said.
Jordan has also moved into a boarding house set-up with three of his squadmates in Melbourne and is loving that as well.
“It is a great house and they’re great blokes and I’m really looking forward to the new year,” he said.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Brisbane forward David Stagg has confirmed he will join rival NRL club the Bulldogs next season.

Stagg will link with fellow ex-Broncos forwards Michael Ennis and Ben Hannant at the Dogs after exercising an option in his contract with Brisbane over the weekend.

He will join the Sydney club on a two-year deal for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

Stagg says he also had an offer to go to English Super League club Salford but the opportunity to remain in the NRL was too good to pass up.

http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/12/22/Bulldogs_replace_Maitua_with_Stagg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts