What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patorick

Staff member
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/glen-turner-resigns-with-raiders-20080826-42qr.html

Canberra have re-signed backrower Glen Turner until the end of the 2010 NRL season.

The tough forward, who is out for the rest of this season with an ankle injury, joined the club from Melbourne in 2006.

"My wife and I are settled in Canberra and it's a great place to live so were happy to stay for another two years," Turner said.

"There are some great young players coming through here at the Raiders and I think we have a strong future."

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said Turner had proved a great buy for the club so far, and believed his experience and work rate would be a great asset for Canberra in the future.

Stizyler

Juniors
it makes room tbh, now Setu, Te'o and Stagg all have a position in the side. before one of them would miss out.

Pumba

First Grade
BRENT CRISP RE-SIGNS FOR ONE YEAR

The Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs have re-signed Brent Crisp until the end of season 2009.

The promising 21-year-old made his first grade debut against Manly in round 7, scoring a slick try and kicking three goals for a personal tally of 10 points.

Brent was graded by the Canberra Raiders in 2004 from the West Belconnen club as a winger to play in the Jersey Flegg Cup. He played for Canberra from 2004 to 2006 and in 2007 he transferred to the Bulldogs to play in the Premier League team.

Brent became a regular member of the Premier League team and was the team’s top scorer. He broke the Bulldogs reserve grade record for the most points in a game when he scored two tries and kicked 10 goals (28 points) against Western Suburbs on May 26, 2007.

"I am very happy to have re-signed for a further year at the Bulldogs after they have given me the opportunity to come here from Canberra and also play first grade this year."

"I hope to have a good off-season and I am looking forward to next season and what it holds." Crisp said.

Link

Pumba

First Grade
Geez wtf is going on there.

Don't like seeing good young players going.

I am of the some opinion. I don't mind them taken our old players for the final paycheck however I don't like them taking our younger players. Rangi Chase is another one that has been signed by Castleford who is a younger player.

Pumba

First Grade
Carney signs deal with Wigan
BY PETER FITZGERALD

Sacked Raiders halfback Todd Carney will join English Super League club the Wigan Warriors next season.

The Canberra Times understands Carney has agreed to a one-year deal with an option for a second year. The option keeps the door open for a potential return to the NRL in 2010.

The Raiders sacked the 22-year-old earlier this month following a series of off-field incidents.

As a result, the NRL deregistered Carney until the end of next season.

Wigan coach Brian Noble is likely to use Carney at five-eighth next year as a direct replacement for incumbent No6 Trent Barrett who has signed with the Cronulla Sharks for next season.

Carney will link with former Parramatta bad boy Tim Smith in the halves at Wigan. Smith is contracted to the club until the end of next season with an option for 2010.

There was speculation he would link with the New Zealand Warriors next year, but his manager David Riolo has hosed down such talk.

While Carney will head abroad next year, his former Raiders teammate Glen Turner will remain in the national capital.

Turner yesterday signed a two-year deal with Canberra to further bolster the team's forwards stocks.

Turner, who joined the Raiders in 2007 from the Melbourne Storm, had been struggling to finalise his future in a season which has seen him hit with injuries.

The club initially delayed chasing his signature as a result of his ongoing injuries the 29-year-old has played only 10 games this season and none since round 19.

After the deal was finalised yesterday, Turner admitted relief was his overwhelming emotion.

''I've had a bit of an unsettled season with the injuries and it's been hard as a result of that but I'm just glad it's all done and that I get to remain here,'' he said.

''There was a bit of interest elsewhere and an option was to head overseas which I could have taken up but the Raiders is who I wanted to play with and thankfully that's the way it's played out.''

Raiders chief executive Don Furner hoped Turner's experience would benefit the club's younger forwards.

''We have some great players coming through the juniors and to have a player of Glen's experience helping them into first grade can only be a positive for the club,'' he said.

Turner is currently sidelined with an ankle injury.

Link

Spike

First Grade
Smith and Carney in the halves. I'll drink to that.....

The Broncos are going to look like a completely different side next year.

Pumba

First Grade
Huddersfield rescue Carney

LESS than three weeks after being sacked by Canberra, disgraced half-back Todd Carney is ready to announce he will revive his career in the English Super League with Huddersfield.

And in a move which could have significant repercussions for Brisbane as they attempt to retain Karmichael Hunt beyond next season, the Broncos have allowed lock Greg Eastwood to join English giant Leeds.

Carney had been linked with several Super League clubs since being sacked by the Raiders this month following the latest in a string of off-field indiscretions.

However, it appears unfashionable Huddersfield has secured the 22-year-old on a one-year deal, which would allow him to return to the NRL in 2010.

Carney's manager, David Riolo, declined to comment on his client's future. However, sources in England revealed an announcement from Yorkshire club Huddersfield was imminent.

While Carney has been forced overseas, Eastwood has gone of his own volition.

The New Zealand international will be united with his former Kiwis coach, Brian McClennan, at Leeds after agreeing to a three-year deal.

"This came out of left field," Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said on Tuesday night.

"Greg was locked away for next year. However, he received an exceedingly good offer for three years from Leeds.

"We could have played the bad cop and insisted on him staying for another 12 months. But under the circumstances, with his age and situation, we thought it was better to allow him to accept the Leeds offer."

Eastwood's exit frees up money under the Broncos' salary cap for next season, funds which could help the club make a competitive offer for Hunt.

While the Broncos continue to finalise their roster for next season, the players at Wests Tigers have reacted to threats of a clean-out by holding an honesty session.

The meeting was prompted a bad loss to Manly on Saturday night, a defeat which ended their finals hopes and led coach Tim Sheens to claim the club needed some fresh faces.

Link

I don't know which one to believe.

Patorick

Staff member
So how many Aussies can these ESL teams have for next year?

Wigan, if the Carney thing's true, will have Phelps, Richards, Smith, Bailey, Riddell and Carney.

That seems a bit too many to me.

Achillies

Juniors
So how many Aussies can these ESL teams have for next year?

Wigan, if the Carney thing's true, will have Phelps, Richards, Smith, Bailey, Riddell and Carney.

That seems a bit too many to me.

Guys who travel on a European or pacific passport dont count. Most aussies could get a european passport through their parents or grandparents.

Patorick

Staff member
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/kenny-resigns-with-broncos-20080828-44ol.html

Brisbane has stemmed an NRL player exodus by re-signing prop Nick Kenny to a new two-year deal.
With five players announcing their intentions to play elsewhere in 2009 - the most recent being Kiwi international Greg Eastwood - Kenny's decision is welcome news at the Broncos.
After playing 21 games this season, most of them off the bench, Kenny believes he is ready to establish himself as a starting prop in the absence of Ben Hannant who is heading to the Bulldogs.
"I never wanted to go to another club," said Kenny, whose deal keeps him at the Broncos for 2009 with an option for 2010.
"I have been here for a while and only the last two years I have been playing regular first grade.
"There are some guys leaving next year and I would like to push for a run-on spot - that's what my personal goal is."
Kenny, originally from Rockhampton, said he was also keen to take on more of a leadership role next season as he pushes towards 50 NRL games.

Snoz

Juniors
heard this today - he was a decent player when Panthers won the comp - hasn't seen alot of 1st grade since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts