What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patorick

Staff member
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/two-dragons-out-for-broncos-clash-20080813-3uzo.html

In other news, the Dragons have confirmed the signing of Canberra Raiders backrower Neville Costigan on a two-year deal.

The former Queensland State of Origin forward will re-unite with his former coach Wayne Bennett when he arrives at the Dragons for season 2009.

Costigan was sacked by the Broncos in 2006 following a drink driving incident.

"Being able to rejoin Wayne next year will be great," said Costigan, who has signed with the Dragons until the end of season 2010.

"I've got a lot of respect for him so it will be good to be back together at the Dragons."

Costigan, 23, has played 65 games in the NRL after making his debut for Brisbane against the Dragons in Round 26 of 2003.

Pumba

First Grade
Quinn re-signs with the Storm until 2012.

Quinn latest player to commit to Storm

The re-signings continue at Melbourne Storm with winger Anthony Quinn committing his long-term future to the club by agreeing to a new deal that will keep him in Melbourne until the end of the 2012 season.

Quinn is another key signing in the Storm’s quest to remain a force in the NRL for many years to come. He joins Dallas Johnson, Jeff Lima, Sika Manu, Adam Blair, Aiden Tolman and Cooper Cronk who have all put pen to paper on new contracts with the club this season.

Quinn is currently in the second year of a three year deal at the Storm having joined from Newcastle in 2007. In that time he has enjoyed tremendous success winning a premiership last year, and representing New South Wales in this year’s State-of-Origin series.

“The main reason for signing the long term deal was due to the success I’ve enjoyed since I’ve been at the club,” said Quinn.

“My girlfriend Frances supported me when I moved to Melbourne and she has settled in really well down here. We’ve bought a house in St Kilda and without her support I’m not sure I would have achieved everything I have at Storm.

“I’ve fulfilled a dream by winning a premiership and gone on to play representative football with New South Wales. I’m not sure I could have achieved that anywhere else.

“Given the players at the club and the coaching staff here, I can’t see why I won’t continue to have success at Melbourne Storm.”

In fact, Storm football manager Frank Ponissi says one of the reasons for re-signing Quinn to a long term contract was because of his improvement since coming to Melbourne.

“We feel Anthony has come along in leaps and bounds since he’s been here in Melbourne and we see him as an integral part of our team in the future,” said Ponissi.

“This contract is a big reward for his efforts, especially playing Origin football for the first time this year, and we wanted to reward him for that.

“He wasn’t coming off contract until the end of 2009, but we didn’t want to wait until next year to start the negotiations. We wanted to be proactive and tie him up to a deal before other clubs started to make a big play for him, as we’re sure they would have.”

The re-signing of Quinn well before his current contract expired is a conscious effort by the Storm to establish a settled squad for the foreseeable future.

“The plan going forward is to re-sign a number of players over an extended period of time,” said Ponissi.

“What we don’t want is to begin contract negotiations towards the end of their current agreements. The aim is to continually have a settled squad and ensure players are safely locked away well in advance.

“We are now in the process of signing the next group of players up over the next few months, and this will ensure that when we move into our new stadium in 2010, we’ll have a very strong squad of players who can bring further success to the club.”

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyle..._NAME=rleague/08/08/14/RUGBYL_Harlequins.html

Harlequins full-back Mark McLinden has secured his release from the London club and will return home to Australia at the end of this season.

The 29-year-old former Canberra player was under contract for 2009 but the club agreed to his request for a release in order to best manage their quota signings for next season.

Harlequins coach Brian McDermott said: "While planning for next year with players, Marty has expressed a desire to return home and continue his career in Australia.

"As much as this is a blow to the squad and the club, I can also understand his feelings at the moment.

"After looking at what the quota restrictions are for next year, it became a decision that was amicable for both Marty and the team.

"I certainly don't want to be losing one of my best players but the quota system means that difficult decisions have to be taken at the right time."

McLinden, who originally signed for the club in their London Broncos days at the end of 2004, said: "I have been in London now for four years and feel it is about time I returned home.

"My mum has been trying to get me back home ever since I left and you can only say no to your mum for so long.

"My experience here has been the best of my life and I have the players, staff and our supporters to thank for making my time so enjoyable."

McLinden, a former club captain who has made only seven appearances this year due to injury, says he hopes to secure his future in the next few weeks.

Godz Illa

Coach
The Dragons have a taste for former Raiders atm. McLinden would be a handy bench player... fullback, halves, hooker. Would be nice.

boonboon

Juniors
McClinden will come back to the raiders for sure - he is a canberra boy with a lot of friends and family in the ACT - and he loves a beer and a game of pool at the labs

Patorick

Staff member
Leon Bott (Bulldogs) -> Manly RU (debuted for them last weekend)
Kris Kahler (Titans) -> Pia Donkeys
Source: RLW

Pumba

First Grade
KNIGHTS SIGN BEN ROGERS
2008-08-18

The Newcastle Knights are proud to announce Ben Rogers will wear blue and red for the next two years, agreeing to terms until at least the end of the 2010 season.

The 23-year-old St Dominics junior started the year with the Rabbitohs before joining the Dragon’s where he debuted in Friday night’s Round 23 win over the Broncos.

Rogers is a quality ball player who brings utility value to the Knights line up with the ability to multiple positions including lock, five-eighth and dummy half.

Newcastle Knights

Jono078

Referee
Congrats Titans you've signed Matt White for next season :(

Good signing, young good forward he is, all the best White!

Patorick

Staff member
Sione Faumuina (Cowboys) -> Castleford

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/57588/Cowboy-Faumuina-is-riding-into-town-for-Tigers

CASTLEFORD are taking wayward New Zealand star Sione Faumuina on board for next season, while Wigan have moved in for another NRL bad boy in Todd Carney.

Second-row Faumuina, 27, who can also play centre and stand-off, has not been offered a new contract by the North Queensland Cowboys and will fill one of the Tigers’ two remaining overseas slots for 2009. Faumuina is a great talent, but he has had problems off the field.

He was released by the New Zealand Warriors in 2006 for serious misconduct related to alcohol.

He then signed a three-year deal with Harlequins, but had his contract ripped up without playing a game because he wanted to join North Queensland. But he fell foul of the Cowboys this year when he rolled his car in Townsville in the early hours of the morning, left the scene and did not report it to the police for 10 hours.

Faumuina, capped once by New Zealand, had a three-game guest spell with Hull at the end of the 2005 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.