What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munky

Coach
Is Shane Rodney confirmed to Manly confirmed?

Both my sig and Avatar will now be outdated.

Fugg you Elliot, I hate you, you stupid prick.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i thought donald malone had signed for the storm in fact their was an article in the sunday mail or courier mail about it

nqcowboy87

Bench
DON Malone doesn't want to be remembered as the poster boy for the perils of drug use in sport, the league whiz-kid once slapped with a three-month ban by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority for smoking marijuana.
As the nephew of Broncos legend Steve Renouf, Malone has the pedigree, and talent, to expect better.
Now, he gets the chance to make amends.
In a remarkable reversal of fortunes, Malone has been given a shot at NRL stardom after being thrown a lifeline by premiers Melbourne Storm.
The 23-year-old was snapped up by Storm coach Craig Bellamy after an outstanding season in the Queensland Cup, where Malone is the strike weapon in Ipswich's charge to the minor premiership.
The powerful 97kg centre scored a club record five tries last week against Tweed, taking his season tally to 19.
For all his talent, Malone was convinced his NRL dreams had evaporated after the ill-fated afternoon two years ago when ASADA rang to inform him he had returned a positive drugs test.
After admitting to using cannabis, Malone was wiped out for 12 weeks, but admits it took a lot longer to cleanse the stains attached to his reputation.
"That was the worst moment of my career," recalls Malone, who was playing for Queensland Cup side Easts Tigers at the time.
"I was devastated. I was a bit worried about what everyone would think and I thought I'd never get a chance (in the NRL) ever again. "I honestly think that held me back for a year or two – that's why I reckon I didn't get an NRL offer.
"I was really concerned that what happened would affect my reputation and no one would want to sign me.
"Thankfully that's in the past now. This is my chance to make it in the NRL and I want to take it with both hands."
Storm recruitment chief Darren Bell has been negotiating with Renouf, Malone's manager, for two weeks and is confident Malone will succeed in Melbourne.
"We've had some good talks and we're now in the process of making an offer to Don," Bell said.
"We've seen him in action this year and he's a real talent, he's carrying a bit of weight but we think he will really benefit next season by being in a professional environment.
"We're aware of his history but everyone makes mistakes. Don's more mature these days and we'd like to give him a second chance."
Malone is no stranger to top-level rugby league. At 16, the Murgon product left home to join the Broncos, but was shown the door three years later after struggling to knuckle down.
"I had a great opportunity at the Broncos but to be honest I was too young to handle it and I got a big head," Malone said.
"It was a big move to make and I got very homesick. I was too immature to handle it all.
"I'd love to go to the Storm. They are on top of the league and have some great players so I won't get a better chance."
Ipswich chief executive Brad Wolens predicted Malone would be a revelation in the NRL.
The rangy 187cm three-quarter has been a handful in Queensland Cup, scoring 49 tries in 50 games.
"I've got no doubt he should be playing NRL. He's been outstanding this year," Wolens said.

????????????

Patorick

Staff member
Eh, haven't seen it reported in Australia, but the Kiwis reckon so:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10529712

Penrith won the NRL title in 2003 after beating the Warriors in the third weekend of the playoffs but few from that team remain at the club now _ Tony Puletua who has signed with St Helens, Luke Priddis who is going to St George in 2009, Luke Rooney who is off to Toulon and Shane Rodney who signed with Manly this week _ leaving just Luke Lewis and Trent Waterhouse.

Time will tell.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?tx=43&newsid=3669

Luke Williamson -> Harlequins

WHEN Luke Williamson arrived at Brookvale six years ago, the club was in financial ruin, struggling to survive.

Rumours of the place shutting its doors were not far off the mark, but in the end Manly survived as the Northern Eagles joint-venture disintegrated.

“It’s been a massive turnaround since then,” Williamson said yesterday after confirming rumours he’s off to play in England for the next two seasons.

“It helps with great financial backers like Max Delmege and then Scott Penn (joint owners).

“Money makes a massive difference. Their contribution into the club has made Manly a force within the NRL today.”

Not withstanding the contribution by Williamson himself.

The hard-working backrower is the type of player every club needs and every Sea Eagle loves to play alongside.

Williamson, who started his NRL career with the now defunct Adelaide Rams in 1997, will join the London Harlequins following Manly’s finals campaign next month.

The 30-year-old forward moved to the northern beaches via Canberra (1999-2001) in 2002, cementing himself as an invaluable player in his second season.

“When I first came here I had played five-eighth one year then moved into the forwards and I established myself nicely there,” Williamson said.

“My time here has just got better and better, culminating very nicely last year with the grand final.

“Hopefully we can do one better this year.”

Williamson is the fourth Sea Eagle to announce a move to Europe at the end of the season following Steven Bell (Catalans), Steve Menzies (Bradford) and Mark Bryant (Celtic).

But Manly have already signed Parramatta’s Tony Williams, Knights utility Chris Bailey and are expected to add Panthers backrower Shane Rodney to their 2009 roster.

Champ

Juniors
I know its only Luke Williamson but this is getting a bit of a joke. Everytime an established first grader goes overseas, the quality of the comp drops, and fans switch off, don't by the goods, and don't turn out to the grounds/leagues clubs.

It sounds like there has been about 30 players going overseas this year, what a joke.

Champ

Juniors
Look at all the players going to union/Europe

Step in gallop ffs, the crowds will continue to dip with the quality of the games dipping

Shane Perry (Les Catalans)
Rodney Davies (Qld Rugby)
Greg Eastwood (Leeds)
Michael Dobson (Hull KR - 2008)
Marshall Chalk (Celtic Crusaders)
Todd Carney (Released)
Lincoln Withers (Celtic Crusaders)
Cameron Phelps (Wigan - 2008)
Nick Youngquest (Pia - France)
Sonny Bill Williams (Toulon Rugby)
Leon Bott (Manly RU - 2008),
Matt Peterson (Wakefield - 2008)
Luke Swain (Salford)
Kris Kahler (Pia Donkeys)
Luke Williamson (ESL)
David Vaeliki (France Rugby - 2008)
Steve Menzies (Bradford)
Steve Bell (Les Catalans)
Mark Bryant (Celtic Crusaders)
Michael Crocker (Hull FC)
Danny Buderus (Leeds)
Mitchell Sargent (Castleford - 2008
Ruben Wiki (Retirement/ESL)
Wairangi Koopu (released/ESL)
David Faiumu (Huddersfield - 2008)
Ray Cashmere (Salford)
Sione Faumuina (Castleford)
Mark Riddell (Wigan)
Tim Smith (Wigan - 2008/2009)
Chad Robinson (Harlequins)
Tony Puletua (St Helens)
Luke Rooney (Toulon - France Rugby)
Dean Widders (Castleford)
Jeremy Smith (Salford)
Jason Ryles (Les Catalans)
Mark Gasnier (Stade Francais)
Rangi Chase (Castleford),
Brett Hodgson (Huddersfield)
Ryan O'Hara (Celtic Crusaders)

Pumba

First Grade
Jamal Idris re-signs for 2 more years.

The Bulldogs have moved quickly to extend the contract of exciting school boy centre Jamal Idris for a further two years (2009-2010).

Idris, 18, began the year playing SG Ball and progressed through to the National Youth Competition before making a strong impact in his first grade debut in Round 24.

Tall, skilful and athletic Idris has impressed incoming coach Kevin Moore with his confidence.

"Jamal has had a dramatic rise this year and has handled every step with ease," Moore said.

"He has a great presence on the field, but importantly he is also well grounded and respectful.'

Idris, who moved to Sydney from Foster in 2007, says he'd like to repay the faith shown by the Club.

"The Bulldogs have been good to me since I first came down and gave me a chance," Idris said.

"I just want to keep improving and become a regular first grader."

Link

The Colonel

Immortal
Look at all the players going to union/Europe

Step in gallop ffs, the crowds will continue to dip with the quality of the games dipping

Shane Perry (Les Catalans)
Rodney Davies (Qld Rugby)
Greg Eastwood (Leeds)
Michael Dobson (Hull KR - 2008)
Marshall Chalk (Celtic Crusaders)
Todd Carney (Released)
Lincoln Withers (Celtic Crusaders)
Cameron Phelps (Wigan - 2008)
Nick Youngquest (Pia - France)
Sonny Bill Williams (Toulon Rugby)
Leon Bott (Manly RU - 2008),
Matt Peterson (Wakefield - 2008)
Luke Swain (Salford)
Kris Kahler (Pia Donkeys)
Luke Williamson (ESL)
David Vaeliki (France Rugby - 2008)
Steve Menzies (Bradford)
Steve Bell (Les Catalans)
Mark Bryant (Celtic Crusaders)
Michael Crocker (Hull FC)
Danny Buderus (Leeds)
Mitchell Sargent (Castleford - 2008
Ruben Wiki (Retirement/ESL)
Wairangi Koopu (released/ESL)
David Faiumu (Huddersfield - 2008)
Ray Cashmere (Salford)
Sione Faumuina (Castleford)
Mark Riddell (Wigan)
Tim Smith (Wigan - 2008/2009)
Chad Robinson (Harlequins)
Tony Puletua (St Helens)
Luke Rooney (Toulon - France Rugby)
Dean Widders (Castleford)
Jeremy Smith (Salford)
Jason Ryles (Les Catalans)
Mark Gasnier (Stade Francais)
Rangi Chase (Castleford),
Brett Hodgson (Huddersfield)
Ryan O'Hara (Celtic Crusaders)

Only really a hand full of players who will really be missed and of the bulk a lot are heading for their last big pay cheque.

Will Cam Phelps, Matt Petersen, Kris Kahler and Marshall Chalk be that badly missed?

KempoKnight

Juniors
The Knights are proud to announce front rower, Mark Taufua has agreed to terms to stay in Newcastle.

Taufua has signed a two-year deal which will see him in the blue and red until at least the end of the 2010 season.

Source knights website.

Big Mick

Referee
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bret t Hodgson
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Luke Rooney
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mark Gasnier
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Steven Bell
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Matt Peterson
6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Todd Carney
7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Tim Smith
8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Jason Ryles
9.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Danny Buderus
10.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Tony Puletua
11.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Michael Crocker
12.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sonny Bill Williams
13.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Steve Menzies
RES:
14.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruben Wiki
15.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Greg Eastwood
16.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ray Cashmere
17.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]David Faiumu
Pretty handy team of players right there...and thats just THIS year.

cb4

First Grade
Only really a hand full of players who will really be missed and of the bulk a lot are heading for their last big pay cheque.

Will Cam Phelps, Matt Petersen, Kris Kahler and Marshall Chalk be that badly missed?

he has been killin it in the esl, and i think he was a pretty handy player out here as well

Captain BF

Juniors
1.Bret t Hodgson Retirement fund
2.Luke Rooney Would anyone have wanted him as a starting winger after the form he has shown in the last couple of years? Perhaps as a back-up..
3.Mark Gasnier Questionable reasons. If he has been short changed fair enough. Highly over-rated in my opinion though.
4.Steven Bell Retirement fund
5.Matt Peterson Reserve grader. Tried hard, but not really up to consistent NRL standard
6.Todd Carney Will be back 2010
7.Tim Smith Will be back 2010
8.Jason Ryles Retirement fund
9.Danny Buderus Retirement fund has achieved everything. Deserves all he can get.
10.Tony Puletua Past his best. May have done ok at a new club.
11.Michael Crocker. Retirement fund.
12.Sonny Bill Williams Greed, pure and simple.
13.Steve Menzies Retirement fund has achieved everything. Deserves all he can get.
RES:
14.Ruben Wiki Retirement fund has achieved everything. Deserves all he can get.
15.Greg Eastwood This one is not a good or reasonably explainable loss. I wonder about thhe full story?
16.Ray Cashmere Retirement fund.
17.David Faiumu Well below his best for a while now imo.

While there are a lot of players leaving, not many are a massive loss or unreasonable reason for leaving IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.