What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godz Illa

Coach
Captain BS some of your 'retirement fund' claims are dodgy at best and laughable at worst.

Jason Ryles – only 29, and the best prop in the comp at the moment
Michael Crocker - only 28 – current Australian rep
Ray Cashmere – only 28 – Cowboys’ most consistent prop for 2 years

The Colonel

Immortal
Jason Ryles – only 29, and the best prop in the comp at the moment

Dragons are offloading him because they want to use his salary cap money. Signed a new deal and by going overseas the Dragons will not have to pick up any of his deal under the cap as his new club willpick up the whole bit.

Michael Crocker - only 28 – current Australian rep

Crocker was set to retire last year from the NRL. His shoulders are apparently shot and he doesn't feel he can compete for two more years at the NRL level. Wants one more big pay day before he retires.

Big Mick

Referee
All I was trying to say is...all this argument about there is not enough talent for 1 more...hell even 2-3 more teams is rubbish.

There is a team just of players leaving this year.

There is another 60-70 Aussie/Kiwi's over there right now...and that may even be understated.

Talent is there...new teams means more spread and less loss of players...

Big Mick

Referee
Shane Rodney --> Manly (4 years)

Confirmed from the horses mouth. Signed dotted line yesterday or day before.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2008/09/03/15896_cowboys.html

THE Cowboys are unconcerned by English Super League raids despite losing two players to Salford for next season.
Mark Henry joined Ray Cashmere at the expansion club last week after seeking a release from a two-year contract at the Cowboys that he had only inked in July.
Both players were offered massive contracts to make the trek to England which the Cowboys could not match.
But chief executive Peter Parr said he was unfazed by the raid on his players and would not rule out more players going to Salford in the future.
"We've got a good relationship with Salford and I told (football director) Steve Simms during the Mark Henry thing that it wasn't a fait accompli that we were going to release him just because we released Ray," he said.
"I also told him that if he wanted to target any players in the future just to make sure that I was aware of it.
"I've got no real concerns there, at the end of the day if we wanted to we could have kept both players if the coaching staff wanted to."
The decision to release Henry came after the back had a heart-to-heart chat with incoming coach Neil Henry, who said he was happy for him to go.
The Canberra junior had also expressed interest in a move to England in 2010 which Parr said the club would have allowed if an offer had come up further down the track.
"We had a gentleman's agreement with him that after 12 months if he did get a good offer from England we wouldn't stand in his way," Parr said.
"Mark had a long chat to Neil Henry and Neil was comfortable with allowing him to go.
"He's been very good for the club so in the end we decided not to stand in his way."
The move is an exciting one for Henry who is looking to set himself up financially before embarking on a career in sports science.
And he has not ruled out a return to North Queensland where he currently has a house and a job as a personal trainer.
"I enjoyed every second that I was here, it's bittersweet I suppose," Henry said.
"I'm going to enjoy the experience overseas but I've really had a good time here.
"I daresay I'll return to live here and if there's any possibility down the track of coming back and playing I would always consider that for sure."
The Cowboys will not be signing Knights player Mark Taufua despite holding talks with him.
"(Football manager) Dean (Lance) had a bit of a yarn with him but our understanding is that he's going to stay at Newcastle," Parr said.
Under-20s captain Ryan Carr has signed a deal with Wests Tigers for next season despite being offered a two-year deal at the Cowboys.
Parr said the hooker had let the timeline lapse on the deal, in which time the club had signed Gold Coast's Clint Amos, a former Cowboy, to play back-up to Aaron Payne.
Negotiations are continuing with winger Obe Geia who is understood to be weighing up offers from other clubs.
Nick Slyney's one-year deal is likely to become official in the coming weeks when his manager returns from overseas.

j0nesy

Bench
OMG 275K per season for Wagon? :shock: Poor Souths, no wonder everyone has a soft spot for them - it's sympathy.

I don't think it's 275k per year. I'd say it's total. They always use the total figure to sensationalise it. You know, like when a players, like Gasnier for example, signs a "mutli-million dollar deal" when it's $400k per year for five years. It's technically true yet deliberately misleading because they know many people will assume it's per year.

Pumba

First Grade
I don't think it's 275k per year. I'd say it's total. They always use the total figure to sensationalise it. You know, like when a players, like Gasnier for example, signs a "mutli-million dollar deal" when it's $400k per year for five years. It's technically true yet deliberately misleading because they know many people will assume it's per year.

I think bullsh*t. I think he signed with a The Limoux Grizzlies not long ago.

Pumba

First Grade
GIANTS SIGN WORLD SUPERSTAR
Huddersfield Giants are delighted to announce the signing on a three- year deal of NRL superstar Todd Carney. The 22-year-old stand off will join the club on December 1st and is already keen to get started.

Todd Carney commented:

“I see this move as a fresh start for me away from the issues in the NRL and I can’t wait to get cracking. I asked my Manager to get me to a club that can win things and the ambition shown by Huddersfield has convinced me that they can do just that. Along with Brett Hodgson who I know from the NRL they have other international players in key positions and a whole host of established British players ready to take the next step forward and make the club a real force in the Super League. I would like to thank the club for having the confidence in me and I look forward to repaying that on and off the field for them and getting back into training and playing the game I love.”

Giants Head Coach Nathan Brown commented:

“There is no doubting Todd’s ability. He will bring a new dimension to the Giants play and to the engage Super League as a whole. We were in the market for a half and to get the lad that I believe is an outstanding talent is a massive boost to the club. Such is his standing in the game that I believe he had his pick of most of the teams in the competition so again for us to be his choice gives me great confidence that we can attract the worlds best players to Huddersfield to add to an already strong roster. “

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis commented:

“We promised more signings when we unveiled our revolutionary season ticket plan and I believe that this will be the biggest made by any club in the engage Super League this year. Todd was voted the player that most supporters would want in their NRL team at the start of the year and to have him joining alongside Nathan Brown and Brett Hodgson from the NRL is a clear statement to everyone that Huddersfield are a very attractive option for the World’s best. I expect further squad movements over the coming weeks as the September deadline has just passed and can assure all Giants supporters that our intention is to build a squad capable of beating the very best. Todd Carney was our number one target and we are delighted to get his signature on paper.“

Thewlis also added:

"I realise that people will ask about the get out clauses that the media seem to like to highlight and would remind all our supporters that that those basically are included at the players request in case they don’t settle. Moving 12000 miles is a pretty daunting experience for anyone and what we must do as a club and indeed as supporters is welcome this young man with open arms, help him settle and make sure that, just like Paul Whatuira last year, he quickly pops into the office and says forget the clause I am staying for as long as you want me here. It really is that simple and we all have a part to play in that."

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.