What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

Iamback

Coach
You are not looking hard enough. We are the only competition in the world that uses a salary cap without a draft or something else in addition. Rugby League is one of the worst run competitions in the world (historically speaking) so somehow I fail to see how our game has uncovered a better system then everybody else.

Secondly, I never said a system has to be perfect (so don’t misquote me) however it has to be able to be policed. There has to be some transparency. A draft or a points system (which would be very hard to implement I know) is at least transparent despite its flaws. On the other hand, it is impossible to trace money - you simply can’t. Even if you were to have access to everybody’s bank account (which would be introducing privacy debates) that doesn’t stop people being given large sums of money by hand.

Also, this salary cap auditor (who you wanted to mention) has never actually uncovered systematic cheating - that’s a pretty big argument against the viability of a salary cap. If the mechanism you put in can’t prevent it, then simply what is your point?

So essentially, all up you have is a system that is impossible to police properly and which is based on some kind of proverbial pinky square of clubs promising not to cheat.

Btw you must be more optimistic about human nature then I am. People will always bend the rules looking for an advantage.

Rugby doesn't have a draft or ESL, The moment you stop a players freedom to move they will just change sports more frequently.

I didn't mean you. I mean generally x player knocks back smaller club. Instantly bigger club is rorting the system or the system needs a change.

The systematic cheating will happen regardless of the system though.

Take a draft system. Alot of the gun juniors play both sports.

If I am a club and I want x player. Simply tell them to not play junior reps League for a year. So they don't need to go into the draft. Then sign that player on a longer deal outside the draft.

eagles4eva

Coach
Kyle flanghan immediate release from the dogs to another nrl club
Its being reported he's signed with us

Johns, woods and now Flanagan... wow what a recruitment manager Manly have... These epic minds are steadfast on destroying the Eagles..

We have the worst backline and backline depth in the NRL and now they sign another dud...

Freak me I'm done, speechless what the hell... Oh God, what's lifelines Number???

MKCS

Juniors
You are not looking hard enough. We are the only competition in the world that uses a salary cap without a draft or something else in addition. Rugby League is one of the worst run competitions in the world (historically speaking) so somehow I fail to see how our game has uncovered a better system then everybody else.

I guess depending on what you class as "something else in addition" but in Australia alone the A-League, NBL and I believe Rugby Union all have salary caps without a draft. Same with League in Europe and I think Union in Europe also.

Lots of soccer leagues around the world have a salary cap without a draft as well, mainly in Asia from my limited knowledge of the sport.

Even in this case. Souffs have signed a 31 year old ( when he starts next year ) to play centre on $800k.

How many centres are on that? So it isn't even like he was signed on the cheap

It is expensive for a centre but a lot of the struggling clubs would've paid a million or more for Wighton and given him a run at 5/8. Souths now have a player who can play centre for them regularly but is also a great injury cover for Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Ilias.

The backline for next year doesn't even seem fair with Latrell, Johnston, Campbell Graham and Jack Wighton all lining up...

Iamback

Coach
I guess depending on what you class as "something else in addition" but in Australia alone the A-League, NBL and I believe Rugby Union all have salary caps without a draft. Same with League in Europe and I think Union in Europe also.

Lots of soccer leagues around the world have a salary cap without a draft as well, mainly in Asia from my limited knowledge of the sport.

It is expensive for a centre but a lot of the struggling clubs would've paid a million or more for Wighton and given him a run at 5/8. Souths now have a player who can play centre for them regularly but is also a great injury cover for Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Ilias.

The backline for next year doesn't even seem fair with Latrell, Johnston, Campbell Graham and Jack Wighton all lining up...

They do next year but long term. How do they keep someone like Graham? That is where it evens out they can go top heavy and fill the side with minimum wage guys

Chimp

Bench
Best way to fix the system for me (and I appreciate this will have its flaws and would never get off the ground anyway);

- No player managers agreeing deals with clubs
- All player payments are made via the NRL - clubs give NRL the money, NRL pays players
- All contract offers have to be submitted to NRL and become binding offers (clubs cannot pull out if player accepts) - this would stop clubs throwing out ridiculous offers to drive up a players price that they have no intention of signing
- Player can chose any of the official offers. However for salary cap management purposes only, the value said player counts towards on the cap is either the average of all the offers submitted, or the value of the deal they’ve signed, whichever is higher - this will stop top teams being able to stockpile talent on the cheap (eg because players think they can win a Premiership, or get better post playing jobs, or brown paper bags) and ensure the ‘notional value’ is a fair reflection of the real market

I also believe this system could help with preventing players leaving for other codes. I’ve mentioned on one of the RU poaching threads that the NRL contract should be for 1 year longer than the deal signed with the club (same value, but spread over an extra year). If players doesn’t sign with a new NRL club (as are going to Union), they get stood down from playing and effectively can’t go to Union without that final year being sat doing nothing (unless they breach their contract).

Dogs Of War

Coach
Best way to fix the system for me (and I appreciate this will have its flaws and would never get off the ground anyway);

- No player managers agreeing deals with clubs
- All player payments are made via the NRL - clubs give NRL the money, NRL pays players
- All contract offers have to be submitted to NRL and become binding offers (clubs cannot pull out if player accepts) - this would stop clubs throwing out ridiculous offers to drive up a players price that they have no intention of signing
- Player can chose any of the official offers. However for salary cap management purposes only, the value said player counts towards on the cap is either the average of all the offers submitted, or the value of the deal they’ve signed, whichever is higher - this will stop top teams being able to stockpile talent on the cheap (eg because players think they can win a Premiership, or get better post playing jobs, or brown paper bags) and ensure the ‘notional value’ is a fair reflection of the real market

I also believe this system could help with preventing players leaving for other codes. I’ve mentioned on one of the RU poaching threads that the NRL contract should be for 1 year longer than the deal signed with the club (same value, but spread over an extra year). If players doesn’t sign with a new NRL club (as are going to Union), they get stood down from playing and effectively can’t go to Union without that final year being sat doing nothing (unless they breach their contract).

Oh what a legal mindfield you would open with restraint of trade. Standing down someone to do nothing cause they are going elsewhere. If players want to go to Union let them. Lets not be Union when they banned league players. Not all would make it and they will want to return.That could mean getting a decent player back which really is more of a feather in leagues cap.

Chimp

Bench
Oh what a legal mindfield you would open with restraint of trade. Standing down someone to do nothing cause they are going elsewhere. If players want to go to Union let them. Lets not be Union when they banned league players. Not all would make it and they will want to return.That could mean getting a decent player back which really is more of a feather in leagues cap.
I’m sure it would have some legal challenges - but if you get it signed off with the RLPA first and only apply it for new contracts moving forward, I don’t see how it could be a restraint, as players would have the option whether to sign such a contract or not. They’d still be getting paid.

I’m sure it would have some legal challenges - but if you get it signed off with the RLPA first and only apply it for new contracts moving forward, I don’t see how it could be a restraint, as players would have the option whether to sign such a contract or not. They’d still be getting paid.

Even if you get the RLPA to sign off on it, it does not mean that it can't be legally challenged. It would just need 1 player to take it to court, as it is part of industrial law that you cannot waive legal rights in this regard. It's why the AFL draft would fall over in a heartbeat if a player decided to take them to court.

MugaB

Coach
MG on tripleM, just announced Bellamy staying on with the Storm in '24

Great stuff, it would suck if he retired, a strong or relavant Melbourne Storm makes the competition better.. as much as i dont like them, i like him as a coach

Sphagnum

Coach
Probably for the best. Eels 'fans" were never gonna accept the poor kid.

He's a solid back up. Might be Luke Kelly mk 2 but hey Lachlan Ilias got a gig over Adam Reynolds and he's basically Luke Kelly.

JA is better than Cooper Johns anyway
The hate and vitriol directed at him personally by the absolute lowlifes who call themselves fans was pretty sickening

however, this is the best thing that can happen for him. He is too slow and his long kicking game is too shit to be a half but I see seibald is already talking about him as more of a backrowers/utility. Which I believe is his best chance of him making it as a permanent first grader.

i wish him all the best though. He didn’t deserve to be treated so poorly by fans but he also didn’t deserve to have his career hamstrung by his dad and all the stigma that goes with that either.

Latest posts