What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed USA Teams for 2014

Fighter

Juniors
It is fine to mention it all you want, talk has always been cheap. But when it comes down to it they don't fit into any of the criteria to be considered for membership with the RLIF.

deluded pom?

Coach
It is fine to mention it all you want, talk has always been cheap. But when it comes down to it they don't fit into any of the criteria to be considered for membership with the RLIF.

You could say the same about the official Italian governing body but they still have RLIF/RLEF membership and recognition.

Rodney

Juniors
The AMNRL seem keen not to get eaten up, they want the merge and are talking a big game to get it.
Also, following the concerns of the Knights, it makes sense that the AMNRL would at least try and look (because nobody knows if there is any action on the ground) like it has some initiative.
But it seems the USARL have also made moves. The Brooklyn team is a pretty big move on their plan to eat up the AMNRL.
Around 20 minutes from 2 big teams (one of which has publicly declared its cold feet, one which 'privately' tried air its concerns for the state of the league).

I'm thinking if two of the AMNRL top rank teams leave then the floodgates will start to open and the USARL should be able to pretty much eat up the rest of the AMNRL.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hmm.
So does everyone think the amnrl teams should just join the usarl?
Looks like a new era has begun, where the executive isnt run as a boys club.
First time the amnrl has mentioned gov funding!
We've seen these sort of press releases over and over and over and over again from the AMNRL. It's good news that the AMNRL teams are playing in the 9's tournament and at least the management don't seem to be actively trying to harm/discredit the USARL anymore. But I don't see any reason to buy into any of their press releases until they actually back up the things that they've claimed.

deal.with.it

Juniors
We sure have.
I was mire referrring to the active nature of the amnrl and the fact it is making it near impossible to see the amnrl teams simply join the usarl.
It would be better if they did, but its not gonna happen.
Curtis cunz does not speak negatively of the usarl and likes the idea of matches between amnrl and usarl teams.
In fact, he said that the offer was open for any usarl teams to play his connecticut wildcats, to no avail.
Cubz has not had any dealings with the old amnrl.

CQ Italia

Juniors
You could say the same about the official Italian governing body but they still have RLIF/RLEF membership and recognition.
Correct. FIRL didn't even meet the criteria for the RLWC qualifers, RLEF simply included the rebels clubs, as FIRL only had "three" teams not minimum 4 and said something like "well there was a split so wasn't enough time and on the membership it has development in "nation" not "federation".

Look at Ireland, they have no junior comps it seems but have full membership!

Last edited:

100%green

Juniors
Ireland is another area of concern. Heard a few things about the issues there.

The game in USA and Italy would really go to another level is the split comps all came back together.

deal.with.it

Juniors
The RLIF should really invest its funds in nations like the Pacific Islands (especially Fiji, although Samoa is doing great things), Czech, Ukraine, Serbia, Jamaica etc. rather than Ireland imo.

These nations have juniors, schools, universities and two divisions in seniors. There is more chance one of these nations will become the next nation to challenge France.

Wales also is developing well, while Scotland needs more resources.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't know if the RLIF are investing too much anywhere TBH. Although it is a concern that nations like Ireland are seemingly given a free pass.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Cunz said the AMNRL is now working with the RLIF, the world governing body, to secure member nation status.

This will open government funding opportunities to implement youth development programs, strengthen the domestic competition and boost the league’s community engagement programs.

Engaging grass roots support and becoming intrinsic to school sport curriculums is crucial to the growth of rugby league in America.

Really??? Then why hasn't anything been done in the last 20 years?

About 2 years ago we heard the AMNRL reveal this strategy of major development but really it didn't amount to much at all.

But I would be ecstatic if they ever did follow through on their words.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Haven't heard about american samoa,
I was referring to the work they were doing in Hawaii (they had a league up and running, or were in the process of doing so I'm not sure).

Hawaii is a real mystery, it seems to be RU sides playing RL in the offseason. I know that when the Indigenous side played the Hawaiian side there was no AMNRL staff to help, promises were unkept and Hawaiian Rugby Union sides had stalls at the game, it just seems to be a funny marriage over there between the 2 codes.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hawaii is a real mystery, it seems to be RU sides playing RL in the offseason. I know that when the Indigenous side played the Hawaiian side there was no AMNRL staff to help, promises were unkept and Hawaiian Rugby Union sides had stalls at the game, it just seems to be a funny marriage over there between the 2 codes.
From what I gather the Hawaiians train both codes and are just happy to play against whoever. I don't know if there is any sort of organized RL competition there, or if there ever has been. Either way, David Niu supposedly fell out with the Hawaiian officials about two years ago and burned most of his bridges, I have no idea if there has been any kind of AMNRL presence there since then although they keep saying there is.

Hellray

Juniors
And the AMNRL lose the Dragons also thats really going to hurt them, leaves them with just 5 teams unless they actually have Chicago step up

Evil Homer

Staff member
Great news about NOVA. Anyone know what the Dragons are planning, or if the Raiders are actually going to be in the AMNRL this year after publicly announcing that they were leaving?

Fighter

Juniors
Great news about NOVA. Anyone know what the Dragons are planning, or if the Raiders are actually going to be in the AMNRL this year after publicly announcing that they were leaving?

Last we heard the Dragons were regrouping for next year, and the Raiders were staying in the AMNRL.

Latest posts