What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed USA Teams for 2014

deal.with.it

Juniors
That's because no one knows.

Grand Prix might own the website and logos, but you can't own people.

And if those who own the clubs never signed over ownership of their individual clubs to Grand Prix, or never granted Tatham a role on their club's board/association, he has no control over individual clubs.

So the question "who owns the AMNRL" really means nothing.

As long as you have someone like Curtis Cunz willing to run a competition, the AMNRL will continue under its former guise. No one "owns" the gathering of the Wildcats, Bulls, Knights, Sharks, Raiders. You can't own that.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Why? What does he have to lose other than the ownership of a paper league with no future?

Because Curtis Cunz is clearly big on ego.

He honestly believes he has been groomed by David Niu to take over the presidency of the AMNRL. Cunz has a massively high opinion of Niu.
If you told him that Niu killed a dozen kittens, he'd probably justify it by saying that they deserved to be killed (but he doesn't know the reasoning).

So if you were in control of the reining AMNRL premiers, you have just been to the World Cup (albeit in a ambassadorial role), you have just been handed the reigns to the AMNRL ...

AND THEN....

It all comes crashing down around him.

I mean geez, you've gotta feel sorry for the bloke.

Fatwing15

Juniors
That's because no one knows.

Grand Prix might own the website and logos, but you can't own people.

And if those who own the clubs never signed over ownership of their individual clubs to Grand Prix, or never granted Tatham a role on their club's board/association, he has no control over individual clubs.

So the question "who owns the AMNRL" really means nothing.

As long as you have someone like Curtis Cunz willing to run a competition, the AMNRL will continue under its former guise. No one "owns" the gathering of the Wildcats, Bulls, Knights, Sharks, Raiders. You can't own that.

So that kinda answers the AMNRL side of the question I guess. Now, who owns the USARL? This question has been asked of the AMNRL a number of times but I don't, really hear people asking who owns the USARL so I'm just kind of curious. (Maybe it's common knowledge or something)

As a player, I never really gave much thought or found much importance in who owned what (never seemed like there was much to actually own) and what the differences in ownership were between the 2 leagues. Who owns the clubs in the USARL? I assume they are individual entities as are the clubs in the AMNRL.

Boston13s

Juniors
The USARL doesn't have an individual or group that owns it. Each club as members 'own' the league and each has one seat/vote on the USARL board. There are then 3 others that have a vote who are Steve Williams (Marketing & PR), Rich Luthmann (Secretary & Legal Counsel), Rich Nolte (Finance). Peter Illfield as Chairperson is non voting.

byrner

Juniors
Because Curtis Cunz is clearly big on ego.

He honestly believes he has been groomed by David Niu to take over the presidency of the AMNRL. Cunz has a massively high opinion of Niu.
If you told him that Niu killed a dozen kittens, he'd probably justify it by saying that they deserved to be killed (but he doesn't know the reasoning).

So if you were in control of the reining AMNRL premiers, you have just been to the World Cup (albeit in a ambassadorial role), you have just been handed the reigns to the AMNRL ...

AND THEN....

It all comes crashing down around him.

I mean geez, you've gotta feel sorry for the bloke.

Just wondering, how did you come to that conclusion on Curtis Cunz?
Have you ever met or spoken to him?

Rugger

Juniors
Just wondering, how did you come to that conclusion on Curtis Cunz?
Have you ever met or spoken to him?

You must be Cunz's #1 fan...:roll:

Cunz's responses to BK's post shows his ego - "talk about shooting ones self in the foot" & "cats cats cats cats up the orange and black allllllllllllll day wait till this years line up is announced!" He OBVIOUSLY doesn't realize/care that the game, in general and in the US, is bigger than him and the Wildcats. He could have simply abstained from commenting at all or given some constructive criticism.

BK's response to Cunz's 2nd comment is spot on - "Who cares what ya lineup is mate if your playing no-one?"

As player/coach, you always want to be the best. The only way to do that is to play/beat the best (Unless you're Lebron James of course). Playing the same couple of teams 2/3 times a year, in a 8 game regular season is not a show of greatness.

Hopefully this is all smoke and mirrors and everything will come together and there can finally be some progression!

Evil Homer

Staff member
Guy seems to be living in a fantasy world. It's not that much of a problem TBH as long as the USARL get RLIF membership and control of the national team.

byrner

Juniors
You must be Cunz's #1 fan...:roll:

Cunz's responses to BK's post shows his ego - "talk about shooting ones self in the foot" & "cats cats cats cats up the orange and black allllllllllllll day wait till this years line up is announced!" He OBVIOUSLY doesn't realize/care that the game, in general and in the US, is bigger than him and the Wildcats. He could have simply abstained from commenting at all or given some constructive criticism.

BK's response to Cunz's 2nd comment is spot on - "Who cares what ya lineup is mate if your playing no-one?"

As player/coach, you always want to be the best. The only way to do that is to play/beat the best (Unless you're Lebron James of course). Playing the same couple of teams 2/3 times a year, in a 8 game regular season is not a show of greatness.

Hopefully this is all smoke and mirrors and everything will come together and there can finally be some progression!

#1 fan? Where did you pull that from?
This comming from a bloke whos first and only four posts in this forum bag out the same person. Ill ask again, what is you personal stake in the situation? You are obviously more than just a 'fan', why do you dislike him so much?

Personally I had never heard of of the guy until the RLWC, and have only read what people have written on here. Thats why I asked if DWI has ever met or spoken to him, his answer was yes, so now I will take his opinion of him into account when forming my own opinion.

Also can you provide a reference for your quotes above. Cheers.

DWI, tell me about your interaction with him? What made you feel as though he has a massive ego?

Last edited:

Rugger

Juniors
#1 fan? Where did you pull that from?
This comming from a bloke whos first and only four posts in this forum bag out the same person. Ill ask again, what is you personal stake in the situation? You are obviously more than just a 'fan', why do you dislike him so much?

Personally I had never heard of of the guy until the RLWC, and have only read what people have written on here. Thats why I asked if DWI has ever met or spoken to him, his answer was yes, so now I will take his opinion of him into account when forming my own opinion.

Also can you provide a reference for your quotes above. Cheers.

DWI, tell me about your interaction with him? What made you feel as though he has a massive ego?

You are sure defensive of someone you have never met or heard of before some months ago...And for the record; I have met, spoke, played against Curtis. I have retired from the game now and as I stated a fan.

As for my reference, see here - facebook.com/ben.kelly.5203/posts/10152248047425169 (Curtis' FB name is "WildHawk League")

deal.with.it

Juniors
I dont feel the need to explain anymore about my conversations with cunz.

All i will say is that his recent facebook comments are in alignment with my conversations with him.

But go back to my post: does anyone feel remotely sorry for the bloke?

Evil Homer

Staff member
I dont feel the need to explain anymore about my conversations with cunz.

All i will say is that his recent facebook comments are in alignment with my conversations with him.

But go back to my post: does anyone feel remotely sorry for the bloke?
Cunz? No, he's just denying his own team of a great opportunity, that's his problem. I don't know what the other teams are doing but if they also decide they don't want to put their egos aside and do what is clearly the right thing for everyone involved then again, that's their loss. The only imperative here is that the USA national team and official international recognition goes to the USARL. Then the remaining AMNRL clubs can muck around and do whatever they like, I couldn't care less.

Last edited:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Well done to Ben Kelly for coming out and expressing his opinion against the orgnaisation he was part of, that would have been an extremely difficult thing to do.

I think his actions will be the catalyst that was needed for change, many players/officials in the AMNRL camp may have been somewhat blinded with the situation at hand and his speaking out might change their views.

deal.with.it

Juniors
But don't forget ben kelly was also highly critical of the usarl.

What he is saying is that the amnrl clubs have no alternative, particularly when the kick him and damien flint from the amnrl committee

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
Does anyone know how thats going? The status of USARL actually getting the RLIF status? And how long would it take for them to be competitive?
Thanks

IowaRL

Juniors
What do you mean by competitive? Do you mean in a World Cup situation? I would like to think that the USARL would have done just as well on the field at the World Cup, and gotten more publicity out I it.

Fatwing15

Juniors
But don't forget ben kelly was also highly critical of the usarl.

What he is saying is that the amnrl clubs have no alternative, particularly when the kick him and damien flint from the amnrl committee

This is how I kind of feel, clearly BK has a stake in RL in the US and has the passion to move the game forward, I would think the USARL would be working very closely with him to pull things together. Is it too late to pull things together?

The USARL is much stronger with the AMNRL teams involved, hence their pursuit of all AMNRL teams. I still think it would be better to absorb all teams as a group than one at a time. The season doesn't start until June so I would think there would be plenty of time. There are still some very big question marks in the USARL. There were a lot of BLOW OUT scores last year and there are teams that are being counted on to contribute that either have no track record or a pretty weak track record of performance. Then you have only 5 teams from the AMNRL and other concerns as well.

My main hope is that they can use these 2 months to figure things out and form one league.

Last edited:

Fatwing15

Juniors
The USARL doesn't have an individual or group that owns it. Each club as members 'own' the league and each has one seat/vote on the USARL board. There are then 3 others that have a vote who are Steve Williams (Marketing & PR), Rich Luthmann (Secretary & Legal Counsel), Rich Nolte (Finance). Peter Illfield as Chairperson is non voting.

Ok, so the voting structure is pretty clear in both leagues. Maybe this is a question for our forum legal representative, Larry from RIR. But let's say that the USARL must be held accountable for payments to a private entity, or held accountable for legal matters or something along those lines, are each individual team held partially responsible?

Do all teams in the USARL share liability for the the USARL Pioneers going to tour Jamaica if each member "owns" the league and it's brand?

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
What do you mean by competitive? Do you mean in a World Cup situation? I would like to think that the USARL would have done just as well on the field at the World Cup, and gotten more publicity out I it.

As an athlete and competitor I know its tough for any new team to just get up and start winning. Im glad this has happened so early as it allows several years to develop and I believe will be more competitive than the recent Tomahawks, I also know they were full of aussies and a few NRL players so yes how long till competitive? Esp. cause I recently saw a post calling on any player wanting to pay for travel to Jamaica so who makes up the team, the best in the league or whoever could make it?
Will they just start playing Canada and whoever else? I was just curious how it all would work.
I fully support USARL and The Pioneers and everything Peter, Spinner, Drew, Danny, Larry, and anyone on board are doing

Latest posts