What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed USA Teams for 2014

deal.with.it

Juniors
Great news!
Makes sense for nova to be able to play dc.
Good luck!

Surely the AMNRL won't be able to get RLIF membership now.

Fatwing15

Juniors
Awesome to see another local rivalry rekindled. Eagles made some nice improvements last year and gave the Sharks a really competitive game in Levittown. Last year the Sharks, Bulls and and Eagles were on a pretty similar Talent level, it will be interesting to see how the Eagles do in the USARL. If they bring in similar imports as last year I think they finish somewhere between 3 -5.

Will they be at the 9's tourney?

CQ Italia

Juniors
What is the actual criteria and does the USARL tick all the boxes? I'm assuming that you do fighter.

To achieve this status a Member should: Have a current approved constitution lodged with the RLIF which shows detailed evidence of governance, membership, elections, meetings and arrangements for dissolution.
Complete and submit to the RLIF annual accounts for at least 12 months prior to application
Publish and lodge with the RLIF annual reports for at least two years prior to approval
Be able to demonstrate the financial stability of the organisation
Operate with a Bank Account in the name of the Federation with at least two signatories on the account. The two signatories must be drawn from the currently elected Board (EG Chair, Treasurer, Vice Chair)
Conduct regular Rugby League Competitions within the country ? Competition is defined as a League Competition played under International Laws of Rugby League over a minimum of a 10 week period.
(a) Minimum 8 senior teams
(b) Minimum 4 reserve/U21/Student grade teams
(c) At least 500 registered participants (players, coaches and match officials)
(d) A registered office and admin.
(e) At least a 6 team Junior RL and/or School (Under 18) competition.
(f) Coach Education Scheme approved by the RLIF.
(g) Referees Accreditation Scheme approved by the RLIF
(h) Approved International programme at various levels which must include Full International and may in addition include ?A? International, Student International, Junior (Under 18) International. All at Male or Female.

• Members may be able to source revenue from the above activity by way of fees. This can be extended to include registration fees, sponsorship, government grants, gate and canteen receipts and RLIF grants where applicable.

• An approved Development Plan, correctly resourced with annual reports lodged with the RLIF
http://www.rlif.com/about-rlif/membership_criteria

Assuming American Youth RLA participants and competitions are included under USARL banner they should meet it or go close to. Add in the Mid-West and other development teams as "reserve teams"

bowes

Juniors
Ireland is another area of concern. Heard a few things about the issues there.

The game in USA and Italy would really go to another level is the split comps all came back together.
The beginning of the demise of Irish rugby league was when some idiot decided the regular season in 2011 for Leinster and Ulster would be just 3 games. With a 40% forfeit rate in the end half the clubs in Leinster (including well established ones) walked out on the game and 2 of the Ulster clubs never materialised meaning the entire Ulster division 2 season consisted of the playoff final and nothing else. For the 2013 season they had to abolish the Ulster league as none of the 5 clubs (or maybe just one of them?) could raise a team. Incidentally the Munster League isn't so bad but is hardly on a par with the USARL.

In fact the 2011 final didn't go ahead as the Leinster champions didn't bother turning up (and folded) and the Ulster champions declined to enter the playoffs

Last edited:

IowaRL

Juniors
Even without the Midwest area being a reserve comp, they have the u23 reserve comp in New England.

To achieve this status a Member should: Have a current approved constitution lodged with the RLIF which shows detailed evidence of governance, membership, elections, meetings and arrangements for dissolution.
Complete and submit to the RLIF annual accounts for at least 12 months prior to application
Publish and lodge with the RLIF annual reports for at least two years prior to approval
Be able to demonstrate the financial stability of the organisation
Operate with a Bank Account in the name of the Federation with at least two signatories on the account. The two signatories must be drawn from the currently elected Board (EG Chair, Treasurer, Vice Chair)
Conduct regular Rugby League Competitions within the country ? Competition is defined as a League Competition played under International Laws of Rugby League over a minimum of a 10 week period.
(a) Minimum 8 senior teams
(b) Minimum 4 reserve/U21/Student grade teams
(c) At least 500 registered participants (players, coaches and match officials)
(d) A registered office and admin.
(e) At least a 6 team Junior RL and/or School (Under 18) competition.
(f) Coach Education Scheme approved by the RLIF.
(g) Referees Accreditation Scheme approved by the RLIF
(h) Approved International programme at various levels which must include Full International and may in addition include ?A? International, Student International, Junior (Under 18) International. All at Male or Female.

• Members may be able to source revenue from the above activity by way of fees. This can be extended to include registration fees, sponsorship, government grants, gate and canteen receipts and RLIF grants where applicable.

• An approved Development Plan, correctly resourced with annual reports lodged with the RLIF
http://www.rlif.com/about-rlif/membership_criteria

Assuming American Youth RLA participants and competitions are included under USARL banner they should meet it or go close to. Add in the Mid-West and other development teams as "reserve teams"

Choo Choo

Juniors
Based on the RLIF criteria, we, the USARL, feel we have an organization in place that fulfills all the requirements.

RLref

Juniors
Based on the RLIF criteria, we, the USARL, feel we have an organization in place that fulfills all the requirements.

Only one problem I see which is national team. Can the USARL qualify something. I guess that the team that is touring Jamaica maybe so that'll be interesting.

Fighter

Juniors
We can run our own team and play international friendlies, they just won't be sanctioned until we get membership.

Rugger

Juniors
Posted by Ben Kelly on FB earlier today -

The Moment Of Truth

I have always believed that we were in our passion and commitment to building a dominant league here in the USA. The more time passes, the less confident that I am that we are truly serious about accomplishing this goal. When we returned from the Rugby League World Cup there was great hope that we would settle our differences and for the good of the game and future of the League in the US, we would create ONE entity. While we were crushed by the Australian team, the world took great note of the USA Tomahawks. Sponsors and Investors had heightened interest and there were meetings with cable and network operators scheduled to discuss broadcast coverage.

With this momentum, the AMNRL formed a leadership team (Damian Flint, Steve Thompson, Curtis Cunz & I) with a focus on connecting with leadership on the USARL side (Peter Ilfield, Steve Williams, Rich Luthmann, Danny Hanson) to form one organization. Our meeting lasted over 8 hours! Coming out of that meeting a joint committee was formed with the goal to create a tactical plan to move Rugby League forward in the USA with ONE voice...guiding principle & path. In fact, we agreed to issue a joint press release requesting applications for a joint competition of the USARL/AMNRL.

On my way home that night, Steve Williams called to express his enthusiasm for all that was accomplished in the meeting. Steve said he was "proud to be a part of it" Both of us agreed that the foundation was set and that work moving forward would be a catalyst
for "big things to come."

Unfortunately all of that enthusiasm and good will lasted but 24 hours. What happened next was incredibly unprofessional as it seemed that factions were more interested in a power grab...than doing what was in keeping of our "shared vision and goal." Too many egos were taking their eyes off the ultimate prize and opportunity here. Communication ended and returned this entire vision to dust. The USARL is now standing firm in their position and requesting the AMNRL teams join them.

Since these talks broke down, the new AMNRL leadership asked myself and Damian Flint (the one "non club" administrator who has the capacity to manage the building of the league in the USA) to stand down from negotiations.

I have sat on the sidelines for many years and watched the dysfunction of this entire process. The losers here are players, teams, fans and everyone who wants to build THE great product of Rugby League here in the USA.

I have spent the so much time in 2013 attempting to mend fences with the USARL in the form of a ground breaking International Grand Final Game joint venture and reaching the
quarter final of the Rugby League World Cup. I can no longer sit on the sidelines and witness the lack of cooperation and focus on doing what's right for the game in the USA. I was once optimistic about the future of our game...but no longer under the current configuration.

Six weeks since our joint venture meeting, the USARL is stuck in the sand. The league has been fielding a group of subpar performing clubs although they have a great expansion plan in the South. Daryl "Spinner" Howland has done a great job down in Florida and truly has the one and only legitimate semi pro franchise in the USA. The USARL has 11 teams in competition with NOVA leaving the AMNRL and joining the USARL.

The AMNRL has a dwindling league that now includes the Wildcats, Knights, Sharks, Bulls and Raiders. Craig Priestly; the USA Tomahawk star who dominated the World Cup has decided not to enter his team ( Southhampton Dragons) for a second year in the AMNRL schedule. Craig is truly not interested in investing hard earned money into a league with no leadership and direction for 2014 and beyond. This move is a HUGE warning sign for all of us. The Wildcats have good local talent that has been with the team for years. Curtis Cunz has done a great job running this team; though truly not capable of running the league. NY Knights are legit with a passionate & highly capable coach ''G'' and sponsors.
The AMNRL has had exciting discussions with expansion cities and teams in Chicago, Utah, California & Hawaii. All of these discussions are based on the belief that the league can be something
very big on a National and International scale. We cannot move these discussions forward with the current state of our game.

This is the moment of truth for BOTH Leagues. We will both field subpar teams and competition AGAIN this season if we do not work together.
In doing so, we will have wasted all of the interest that we have cultivated on a global scale for the game in the USA.

Frankly, I am tired of all of this petty and unprofessional behavior. Our players are tired of all of this as well. They want strong leadership and a hope that things will get better. Collectively we have failed ourselves, our team members and all those who believe that the
game can be great here in the USA. I haven't failed at much in my professional career. I want to watch high quality teams go head to head in battle each week without fail. Every player in this country wants the same. I want the very best players doing all they can to
earn USA Tomahawk team selections.

There must be one voice for our game to succeed. Players need to compete on the field. Administrators need to do all they can to build an infrastructure and operating model that achieves our business objectives and goals.
It's all over. No more AMNRL! - No more USARL separation.

We will NEVER attract reputable investors, advertisers & sponsors to this game in the USA with the unprofessional and ridiculous turf battle that we have been dealing with for years. We are fools to believe that we can. It's embarrassing as athletes and professionals for all of us to conduct ourselves in this manner.

All teams must play in the USARL competition in 2014. We must set aggressive plans for the 2017 RLWC & beyond.

Onward & Upward....together!!

- BK

Rugger

Juniors
He's telling the remaining AMNRL teams to join the USARL? Good, hopefully they listen.

Pretty much and agreed. However, Cunz in particular would NEVER (in my opinion) put ego aside to do so (unless they were the last team standing in the AMNRL and therefore had no choice), even though the Wildcats would/could be the one team from the AMNRL that would benefit the most from the move.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Pretty much and agreed. However, Cunz in particular would NEVER (in my opinion) put ego aside to do so (unless they were the last team standing in the AMNRL and therefore had no choice), even though the Wildcats would/could be the one team from the AMNRL that would benefit the most from the move.
Why? What does he have to lose other than the ownership of a paper league with no future?

So where does the Grand Prix group sit with all of this?

I thought they owned the AMNRL? If this is the case then surely they would not be happy with the AMNRL representative telling clubs to join a rival group.

Lets hope they can sort it all out

byrner

Juniors

So Rugger, whats your personal stake in the situation?

Latest posts