What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed USA Teams for 2014

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
Personally I think it would benefit having only the USARL as a governing body. As far as accomadating all teams, theyve already set up a format which would allow it with the two conferences. Unfortunately i dont think it would add any teams to the southern conference maybe a third could be formed? Hopefully somethhing is figured out I would hate for anyone not be able to play rugby league at the end of the day. Good luck to the Central Florida Warriors and Jacksonville Axemen next week.

Hellray

Juniors
Personally I think it would benefit having only the USARL as a governing body. As far as accomadating all teams, theyve already set up a format which would allow it with the two conferences. Unfortunately i dont think it would add any teams to the southern conference maybe a third could be formed? Hopefully somethhing is figured out I would hate for anyone not be able to play rugby league at the end of the day. Good luck to the Central Florida Warriors and Jacksonville Axemen next week.

If all AMNRL teams joined could the league perhaps look at a 20 team comp, with 3/4 divisions with a wildcard for playoff reasons? with all teams there NY alone could fill one division comprising of teams from both codes. Then have your south group with maybe one more team there. Then the rest the other division or two

NY Div: Kings, Rebellion, Knights, Raiders, Dragons, New Haven?
South: Axeman, Warriors, Mayhem, Rhinos
Div 3: 13's, Oneida?, Wildcats, Blues, Eagles, Slayers
Div 4: Stockyarders, Bulls, Sharks, Fight, Iowa?

deal.with.it

Juniors
If you had a 20 team comp, you'll be getting closer to sponsorship $, gov funding and spectator numbers. Would be great.

IowaRL

Juniors
If all AMNRL teams joined could the league perhaps look at a 20 team comp, with 3/4 divisions with a wildcard for playoff reasons? with all teams there NY alone could fill one division comprising of teams from both codes. Then have your south group with maybe one more team there. Then the rest the other division or two

South looks good, if you have a New England Division with Raiders, Rhode Island, Boston and Wildcats.
NY 4 team division of kings, knights, Philly and Dragons. Baltimore, Slayers, Nova and Sharks. Bulls are the extra, not sure where they would fit best, as 13 teams don't work so well. Maybe drop a NY team to a reserve comp with New Haven, Oneida, a NY team and a Fight/Sharks team

Rugger

Juniors
Is this confirmation that a merger/absorption will not get done in time to effect this summers season?

Not going to happen

It will be a disaster if there is no AMNRL season, will this push the remaining clubs to join the US comp for 2015?

TBD

And someone in the know say all remaining teams jump for next season, could they even be accommodated into the league? is there room for that large of an expansion as that would be a 17 team comp, not to mention the small prospect of Oneida and New Haven rejoing

Divisions were created this year in the USARL and doesn't seem like it will provide any issues logistics wise. It has cut down on travel for teams as well as create a more interesting playoff structure.

South looks good, if you have a New England Division with Raiders, Rhode Island, Boston and Wildcats.
NY 4 team division of kings, knights, Philly and Dragons. Baltimore, Slayers, Nova and Sharks. Bulls are the extra, not sure where they would fit best, as 13 teams don't work so well. Maybe drop a NY team to a reserve comp with New Haven, Oneida, a NY team and a Fight/Sharks team

Divisions could be -

New England:
Boston 13's, Rebellion, Wildcats; possibly New Haven and/or Oneida

"New York":
Knights, Raiders, Dragons, Kings

Mid Atlantic:
Fight, Bulls, Blues, Slayers, Eagles

Southern:
Axemen, Rhinos, Mayhem, Warriors

Evil Homer

Staff member
Sad situation but TBH this has been coming for a long time and the remaining AMNRL clubs have nobody to blame but themselves. They had the opportunity to jump to the USARL when NOVA did. Maybe some of them can play in a development competition or something.
Divisions could be -

New England:
Boston 13's, Rebellion, Wildcats; possibly New Haven and/or Oneida

"New York":
Knights, Raiders, Dragons, Kings

Mid Atlantic:
Fight, Bulls, Blues, Slayers, Eagles

Southern:
Axemen, Rhinos, Mayhem, Warriors
How many of those teams would meet the minimum USARL standards?

IowaRL

Juniors
Connecting Midwest together would mean Stockyarders, St Louis and Iowa City would be in the same league, with any expansion we can get.

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
Connecting Midwest together would mean Stockyarders, St Louis and Iowa City would be in the same league, with any expansion we can get.

How awesome would that be for the USARL! and Rugby League in general withing the states.
Im looking forward to how this season goes and also the status of USARL gaining RLIF membership, full membership that is.

druzik

Juniors
Well I have it on good authority that there will not be an AMNRL season contested for 2014, officially.

This is surprising and disappointing news.

So I guess this means the Chicago team will be flying the sole AMNRL flag this year... this is some good news for me as I will be moving back to Illinois in a few weeks and so will have a team to go and see.

How is Iowa looking and other teams in the region? Certainly will need a weekend dose of RL at times.

gyallop

Juniors
Sad situation but TBH this has been coming for a long time and the remaining AMNRL clubs have nobody to blame but themselves. They had the opportunity to jump to the USARL when NOVA did. Maybe some of them can play in a development competition or something.
How many of those teams would meet the minimum USARL standards?

What are they?

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
I wonder if the USARL have the best interests of Rugby league at heart and aren't trying to settle old scores with people who are no longer around.

Some transparency anyone?

Hellray

Juniors
Its an exciting time ahead for the US comp, even being in Aus im excited to see how this season pans out and can it be built apon next year even bigger. Really makes me want to fly over and watch the progress.

joshreading

Staff member
The AMNRL no longer exists from someone I have info from. The left over teams have somewhat formed the "Rugby League of America" with Rob from NY Knights the president.

The Raiders are playing 7's and are still open to applying to play in the USARL but I think they realise it is practically too late. Hopefully, some games can be arranged anyway. It seems that the teams in the former AMNRL have sort of applied to the USARL as a group (rather than individually) which some consider suspect. However the Wildcats are acting as if they have a schedule about to kick off

Choo Choo

Juniors
I wonder if the USARL have the best interests of Rugby league at heart and aren't trying to settle old scores with people who are no longer around.

I am speaking as a member of the general public. Let's talk about transparency for a bit. Was the AMNRL ever transparent; no. The USARL has been transparent ever since Dec 2010 when it first met in Philadelphia to discuss the situation at the time and courses of action. If Niu would have just answered the letter and engaged in productive discussions, there is a chance there would still be RL under one banner. The USARL never hid its intentions. The USARL always has the best interest of Rugby League in America because it exist for three reasons; 1) to play RL in the USA, 2) to grow RL in the USA, and 3) allow all members a fair and equal say in the transparent operations of the league.

Was the AMNRL transparent when they ignored the USARL's simple requests for openess and a fair say in how the league was run? No. Did the AMNRL have the best interests of RL when it looked to punish the "break away" league by excluding all USARL players including Brent Shorten and the Clark brothers from Tomahawk selection? No. Was the AMNRL transparent when it excluded a former Tomahawks captain and USA player of the year Apple Pope from World Cup selection? No. In fact, Apple sat out from the Axemen the first year of the USARL so he could play for the Tomahawks. Is that fair? No. So please don't come out with this now as there are many specific references that can be sited to refute your claims stated here. The evidence is simply not stacked in your favor.

The door for USARL membership has been open for 3 and a half years to all AMNRL teams and no one has ever taken advantage until the Eagles decided to make the change earlier this year. Only an extended smear and slander campaign. Each AMNRL club simply had to just contact the USARL and formally apply for membership.

On a positive note, three AMNRL teams played in the USARL 9's this year and hats off to Curtis for pulling that off. However, Curtis's claims that we would have only had three or four teams if they hadn't played is simply false. Boston and RIR actually stepped aside so that AMNRL teams could be accomodated. The 9's would have gone on regardless.

The USARL schedule has been released for the past two months and each team has invested time and money into travel, accomodations, and sponsorship events. Coming in less than two weeks prior to the start of the season and expecting the USARL to change in the final hours is a bit unreasonable. Each team voted democratically to keep the schedule as is due to prior plans and player absences during bye weeks and felt that it was not in their or the league's interest to change in the last days. Not getting their way, the AMNRL lashed out again at the USARL. Sad really.

To say that players will suffer is also not true. There are several teams within driving distance of each AMNRL club. The Wildcats, Knights, and Raiders could all go play with the Kings. The Sharks and Bulls could go play with the Fight. There are opportunities for anyone that wants to play and I'm sure they would be welcome. I suspect that there will be a unified comp in 2015 when sufficient time is allowed to review applications and discussing the merits of each club.

Saying that the USARL is trying to settle old scores is also not true. The past is what it is and has been forgotten. The AMNRL procrastinated and did not plan or release a schedule and in the final hours expected the USARL to change everything. That's just bad form as stated above. How about discussing Rugby League of America and their management structure and mission. Who are the board of directors other than Bobo? Is it a secret? Where is the press release? Is it in fact true that the AMNRL no longer exists?

Fighter

Juniors
How about discussing Rugby League of America and their management structure and mission. Who are the board of directors other than Bobo? Is it a secret? Where is the press release? Is it in fact true that the AMNRL no longer exists?

The latest rumor is David Niu, Jeff Preston, Steve Johnson and Rob Balachandran all formed the new American Rugby League Federation. Kind of odd that Rob would be the president named to speak for all the AMNRL teams applying to the USARL last minute, but also be the head of a new consortium. Also, why were the teams not allowed to respond to individual questions put forth by the USARL board about each of their clubs (finances/players/ability to travel) instead of blanket responses from Rob for all of the questions, and all had the exact same answers for each team. Some things never change.......

Fighter

Juniors

Bobo, I look at it like you applied for a job 4-5 months after it was advertised, can you really be upset at the employer?
Are we really to blame for you not having a schedule and a league set up in case things fell through? Why were we obligated to bail you out?
We had valid questions for team operators and they weren't answered by those people, they were answered in block form for 5 teams by 1 person and we looked at it like each team was applying individually, just like the NOVA Eagles did months ago. It is hard to make decisions like this on short notice and come away with a positive outcome when you really don't trust some of the answers.

Latest posts