What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed USA Teams for 2014

Evil Homer

Staff member
I agree that the amnrl's tomahawks selection criteria is a shambles. The NY knights telling s johnson to piss off.

But you must understand for teams in the amnrl, not the actual amnrl executive, must feel like at the end of the day RL is amateur in the US. Constitutions, marketing plans, flash websites etc mean very little.

To clubs like those in the usarl they mean a lot. They are trying to run the sport and their clubs like a business.

But to amnrl clubs, do they actually want what assets the usarl has? Can they be bothered? Do they just want to run an amateur club like a muck around game of touch footy down the local park?

If RL wants to get serious in the USA it needs the usarl approach.

But i'd say for a lot of amnrl clubs that because they cant see the intangible assets, they're not really interested. They feel like they have stronger teams on the park vs usarl's strength off it.
That's their right, I'm not telling the AMNRL clubs what to do or how to run their league, they can do whatever they want, it's their league after all. The problem though comes when they are purposely impeding the growth of the sport and making things difficult for people who do want to do the right thing. If the AMNRL don't want to develop the sport and put in the work required to be the national governing body then they need to step aside and give the reigns to someone who does. As far as I can tell, the only thing stopping this from happening right now would be that a couple of AMNRL guys want to feel like they have power and are too proud to do the right thing. Otherwise, they could quite easily hand over their NGB status and then go on happily running their league however they want.

Last edited:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I'm with you EH, IMO if the AMNRL board/clubs are simply content in playing park footy and don't want to lift their standards of professionalism then they can't justify wanting to maintain their NGB status. By the sounds of it its just pride getting in the way of unification and I've said it many times before I commend Nui and the AMNRL for getting the game to where it is in the US but if it is for the betterment of the game then they need to reliquish this need for control because at the end of the day by moving forward with the USARL they are not losing anything but simply an old moniker, they will still have voting rights and a say.

CQ Italia

Juniors
some small but very interesting "inside" news coming my "Global Gossip" section on the Rugby League Profiler website tonight

Rodney

Juniors
The AMNRL isn't that far behind the USARL though.
They are behind in numbers of pro teams and structure, but its definitely not a completely inept system. They had ( i don't know if they still do have) their matches televised and their teams get picked for the national squad (which is a dirty move, but it has given the AMNRL a bargaining chip). They've also been working on a pacific island league ( i dunno if its still up or how far along it is) which is also promising.

If things continue to progress as they are at the moment the USARL will probably get itself a healthy lead over its rival body but at the moment the two sit in a very awkward position, where they aren't equal enough to merge but the AMNRL isn't small enough to just be eaten up by the USARL.

league13

Juniors
After the WC selection fiasco,the surprising thing is that anyone would be interested in the AMNRL. So who is pulling the strings in that outfit and holding the game back?It looks like the AMNRL are stagnating, were the USARL are forging ahead with the number of new teams announced for the coming season.

gyallop

Juniors
Let's settle the debate on the field of honour Illfield should pull out his glove from his rebel uniform and slap who ever is now the opposing president across the face and challenge him to mortal combat , his best against theirs winner gets the national rights!!

seriously though i hope they sort something out before too much longer.

Fighter

Juniors
The last game the AMNRL had televised was at the Atlantic Cup in Jacksonville I believe, and Jacksonville produced it, they just did commentary. I could be wrong but that is the last I remember.

Fatwing15

Juniors
The last game the AMNRL had televised was at the Atlantic Cup in Jacksonville I believe, and Jacksonville produced it, they just did commentary. I could be wrong but that is the last I remember.

I've also seen War at the Shore footage on the local news, not sure if that counts as televised, but there was AMNRL footage on actual TV which was kind of cool. That means the games were atleast recorded.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3JRwb3zlZms

spinnerhowland

Juniors
a genuine source has revealed USA Tomahawks will be taken over by a "democratic body". That's all he could say though!

http://www.rugbyleagueprofiler.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1020%3Aglobal-gossip-ii&catid=34%3Alatest-blog&Itemid=92

Interesting news indeed. Before I got to involved with spending any money or time in taking over the USA Tomahawks as a brand, or any of their intellectual property, I would make sure that I 100% knew who owns the rights to the name, logo and the use of both.

Not knowing that info could be a challenge in the future if the legal owners suddenly show up and start asking for compensation for the use of their brand.

As I understand it, the Tomahawks "Brand" was owned by the AMNRL, and that was then owned by Star Group (and new logos were created), then that was owned by WRA (World Rugby Alliance), and that was then part of the deal with Grand Prix Rugby. I am not sure what was included in the deal, or what was declared to "unwind" since the deal never got off the ground. But from a business point of view, moving forward, I would be making sure that the BRAND of the Tomahawks is actaully able to be used and approved by the legal owners of it.

Not 100% knowing who owns the intellectal property of the Brand, and/or having a legal contract for its use, could be a liability in moving forward with its use

Last edited:

IowaRL

Juniors
Maybe the brand needs to be changed then! Personally, I'm not a fan of the name, but it's in use so I'll support them (even if I don't agree with them).

Bronco Rob

Juniors
They've also been working on a pacific island league ( i dunno if its still up or how far along it is) which is also promising.

You may be thinking of American Samoa where the AMNRL appointed Kiki Misipieke(sp) as development officer over 12 months ago but as usual we have not heard a word more about any developments from the AMNRL.

CQ Italia

Juniors
if indeed this "other democratic body" does manage the USA national team and it's announced perhaps we will see a change.

Rodney

Juniors
You may be thinking of American Samoa where the AMNRL appointed Kiki Misipieke(sp) as development officer over 12 months ago but as usual we have not heard a word more about any developments from the AMNRL.

Haven't heard about american samoa,
I was referring to the work they were doing in Hawaii (they had a league up and running, or were in the process of doing so I'm not sure).

Either way, introducing the American Pacific Islands to Rugby League seems like a decent initiative considering the response to RL by already introduced PIs and the similar culture between those already introduced and those foreign.
American samoa in particular is only a stone's throw away from Samoa and would be relatively simple to set up regular residents fixtures between the two.

Hopefully some good work is being done.

druzik

Juniors
I have heard down the grape vine that the USARL have applied or at least approached the RLIF about becoming an affiliate member... anyone know or can confirm this?

RLref

Juniors
Interesting article on the RLWC2013 site on the AMNRL, can't post a link as I'm under 20 posts but have a look.

RLref

100%green

Juniors
Source: http://www.rlwc2013.com/rugby-league-world-news/article/1485/amnrl-to-join-usarl-in

AMNRL to join USARL in Nines tournament

On the eve of American National Rugby League's 17th season, officials are more hopeful than ever of securing RLIF member nation status which will revolutionise the code in the United States.

The AMNRL is the official governing body of Rugby League in the USA and its incoming President, Curtis Cunz, said this year's competition would provide fans the greatest showcase of domestic rugby league seen in America.

Cunz said contrary to erroneous reports of the competition's demise, the AMNRL season would actually feature a quality of player and game rarely witnessed in America.

Cunz was elected President at the recent AMNRL AGM in New York. He was the World Cup tour manager of the very successful USA Tomahawks and president of last year’s AMNRL premiers the Connecticut Wildcats.

In ever further great news, AMNRL clubs will participate in the Nines competition alongside clubs from the USARL on May 17.

This is the first step in uniting the competitions into one league, which is a direction the AMNRL is seeking to head down.

And Cunz said he hoped the leagues could agree to play more cross-over games and depoliticise the code in America.

"I can’t wait to put the politics aside and see all of the boys I used to go to battle against back in the day and then crack a few beers open afterwards," he said.

"The AGM re-enforced the democratic and transparent governance of the AMNRL and the shared vision of the member clubs.

"This is going to a great season of rugby league in the AMNRL featuring immense talent.

"Our games will be exceptionally competitive and fans will leave wanting more."

The AMNRL’s competition committee is finalising the details of the elite Eastern Conference competition under the guidance of Secretary Steve Thompson.

A draw will be announced soon but Thompson confirmed games would be played in the emerging Mid West Conference, the West Coast and Hawaii as part of the AMNRL’s commitment to grow the game across the USA but in a controlled and sustainable manner.

The AMNRL is confident of delivering several powerful conferences throughout America to mirror the Eastern Conference.

There has been much publicity regarding how the AMNRL would take advantage of the USA Tomahawks' “shock the world” campaign at RLWC2013, where the unheralded group of part-time footballers, featuring just five professionals in their ranks, made the quarter finals.

Cunz said the AMNRL is now working with the RLIF, the world governing body, to secure member nation status.

This will open government funding opportunities to implement youth development programs, strengthen the domestic competition and boost the league’s community engagement programs.

Engaging grass roots support and becoming intrinsic to school sport curriculums is crucial to the growth of rugby league in America.

"We are working hard on several other key initiatives that will be announced as soon as they are finalised that have the AMNRL clubs excited about the future of American rugby league," Cunz said.

"Stay tuned."

deal.with.it

Juniors
Hmm.
So does everyone think the amnrl teams should just join the usarl?
Looks like a new era has begun, where the executive isnt run as a boys club.
First time the amnrl has mentioned gov funding!

Latest posts