What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congrats to Kris Inu

Suitman

Post Whore
Today is the first chance I have had to see the game in full.

INU had a great debut and tbh, I thought he showed more potential in 80 minutes than Ben Smith has in 12 months.

He was dangerous on his feet. He showed foresight and speed for Hayne's try and best of all his defence was solid. Particularly in the first half. He has great low tackling technique.

Seriously, I can't see why he shouldn't be picked ahead of Smith, or, god forbid, Tahu, to show what he is worth.

The incumbant centres haven't shown that much promise in 18 months. How about Inu get's a chance, and the other 's have to prove they are better, rather than it always being the other way round?

Suity

Utey

Coach
I think Benny isn't far from being back to his best. I think Benny will hold his spot on the basis of strong defence.

They are completely different types of players, so comparing them is relatively hard.

Suitman

Post Whore
<UPtheEELS> said:
I think Benny isn't far from being back to his best. I think Benny will hold his spot on the basis of strong defence.

They are completely different types of players, so comparing them is relatively hard.

How can we not compare them? They play in the same positions.

All I'm saying is that from what I saw of Inu in the game, he offers more to the team than Ben does.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
In what respect though Suity?

I'm wondering whether Tahu shouldn't be playing his way back through Prems this weekend behind Inu..... Ben has been better each game he has played.

Utey

Coach
Suitman said:
How can we not compare them? They play in the same positions.

All I'm saying is that from what I saw of Inu in the game, he offers more to the team than Ben does.

Suity

Ben Smith: Much larger, isn't as much of a liability in defence especially when big second rowers are running wide. Playing with increasing confidence every week.

Inu: Played against a mediocre side, who were very well beaten. Didn't get much thrown at him all game. I think he will make the position his own in the next couple of months. WHose to say Tahu even lasts the season.

They are different players in the roles they play as well. I know Inu likes to get out of dummy half, as does Ben. But we all know who will be more of an impact at NRL level. Inu no doubt is a better player, but whether or not he can handle the week in week out vigors of NRL, we're yet to see.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
I'm wondering whether Tahu shouldn't be playing his way back through Prems this weekend behind Inu..... Ben has been better each game he has played.

tbh, I wouldn't argue with that.

Suity

Utey

Coach
Look at it from the coaches Point of View. We have an established NRL First grader, Former Aust. Rep and SoO player. Over a new kid on the block. I know who I'd go with. You have to have a balance between older blokes and the new kids. Flooding a side with kids never has and never will work.

emjaycee

Coach
This won't happen because Green would get first shot at No. 6 but would be an interesting lineup and goes a ways towards fitting everyone in - well nearly everyone. :crazy:

1. Hayne - is this where people think he would be long-term
2. Tahu - this is where he plays in SoO
3. B Smith
4. Inu
5. Grothe
6. Burt - has been talked about and we need the goalkicking with Riddell out
7. T Smith
8. Cayless
9. Marsh
10. MoiMoi
11. N Hindy
12. I Hindy
13. Wagon

14. Finch (gives PJ a break and covers for Burt or Smith if injured/tired)
15. Cordoba
16. Fa'aso
17. Mateo

Like I said not likely to happen but would be fun to watch.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
<UPtheEELS> said:
Ben Smith: Much larger, isn't as much of a liability in defence especially when big second rowers are running wide.

I'd say he's actually an asset in defence... a bit of a 'bodyguard' for a smaller half lining up next to him, if you will

Suitman

Post Whore
<UPtheEELS> said:
Look at it from the coaches Point of View. We have an established NRL First grader, Former Aust. Rep and SoO player. Over a new kid on the block. I know who I'd go with. You have to have a balance between older blokes and the new kids. Flooding a side with kids never has and never will work.

Look mate, I agree with all you are saying. Let's go with Ben - safety and the known first.

But the teams who are making inroads into this comp are those that are producing the goods.

I'm not saying Ben is hopeless, or doesn't deserve to be there. Far from it.

But when it comes down to winning games, we need match winners. Ben isn't one of those, but I think Inu could be.
Up until Saturday night, we had only scored 7 tries in three games. No, that's not Ben's fault, but hell, everytime Inu touched the ball, I was waiting for something to happen. What he did for Hayne showed maturity beyond his years. I couldn't see Ben doing that.
I'd feel much more comfortable about the team if Inu was selected with Tahu, and Ben Smith was the incumbent, rather than it being the other way around.

And for all the talk about Inu's lack of defence, I saw nothing of it.

Suity

Utey

Coach
eloquentEEL said:
I'd say he's actually an asset in defence... a bit of a 'bodyguard' for a smaller half lining up next to him, if you will

Thats what I was saying...

Utey

Coach
Look mate, I agree with all you are saying. Let's go with Ben - safety and the known first.

Agreed.

But the teams who are making inroads into this comp are those that are producing the goods.

100% correct, although I still think Ben should be give a few more weeks to prove his worth.

But when it comes down to winning games, we need match winners. Ben isn't one of those, but I think Inu could be.
Up until Saturday night, we had only scored 7 tries in three games. No, that's not Ben's fault, but hell, everytime Inu touched the ball, I was waiting for something to happen. What he did for Hayne showed maturity beyond his years. I couldn't see Ben doing that.
I'd feel much more comfortable about the team if Inu was selected with Tahu, and Ben Smith was the incumbent, rather than it being the other way around.

If it were up to me, I'd have him there. But the more and more I see of Hagan and the way he is going about the job, the more I realise that if a player isn't cutting it, he'll drop them! I look at the decisions beign made through his eyes and agree with them, because heres a coach who never had the resources to suceed at Newy, yet made a good go of it with a premiership ring and no doubt learn lots of Joey. The last thing I want to see though, is a loss and a player being turned into a scapegoat, we know how Parra fans are.

And for all the talk about Inu's lack of defence, I saw nothing of it.

He bloody hits hard, there were one or two shoulder charges which he'll have to watch which were very impressive. I'm a patient person so I'm sure we will see more.

Pazza

First Grade
our forward dominated and we had the majority of possession. This made it a hell of alot easier for blake and Kris. I like both these kids but i think Finch and Tahu would have done well against the raiders aswell

Suitman

Post Whore
Pazza said:
our forward dominated and we had the majority of possession. This made it a hell of alot easier for blake and Kris. I like both these kids but i think Finch and Tahu would have done well against the raiders aswell

No doubt about that but you are missing my point.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
sooperdooper said:
ben smith hasnt had form since 05... any line breaks since then?

To be fair on Ben, he has played behind a team that hasn't encouraged open attacking options.
In saying that, in attack, he certainly doesn't thrill the world.
Seriously, when we have got the ball in hand, isn't it our major objective to score points?
Therefore, I agree.

Suity

Latest posts