What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coogee and Clovelly are not Soufs territory!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The eastern suburbs are in South Sydney - the part of Sydney south of the harbour (opposite North Sydney). The Roosters gave them up when they quit their identity as Easts.

If you're talking about southern Sydney you're talking about Dragons and Sharks territory. The Roosters are just the CBD since Easts died in 1994. Souths are all the area around the CBD - basically the inner suburbs.

RoosTah

Juniors
The eastern suburbs are in South Sydney - the part of Sydney south of the harbour (opposite North Sydney). The Roosters gave them up when they quit their identity as Easts.

Bahahahahahahaa yes, and up is down and Brisbane is part of Melbourne because they have juniors there. Stop with the bullshit mate. The Eastern Suburbs are the Eastern Suburbs and not South Sydney. And anyway, don't you lot play at f**king homebush now anyway and have most of your fans out west? Coogee is easts territory, end of story.

sretsoor

Juniors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Suburbs_(Sydney)
The Eastern Suburbs is the metropolitan area directly to the east and south-east of the Sydney central business district in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. This can include the suburbs within the local government areas of Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and part of the City of Sydney. The Australian Bureau of Statistics' "Eastern Suburbs Statistical Subdivision" includes only the Woollahra, Waverley and Randwick LGAs. According to the 2011 Census, the region's population was 249,546,[1] up from 230,757 in 2006.[2]

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bahahahahahahaa yes, and up is down and Brisbane is part of Melbourne because they have juniors there. Stop with the bullshit mate. The Eastern Suburbs are the Eastern Suburbs and not South Sydney. And anyway, don't you lot play at f**king homebush now anyway and have most of your fans out west? Coogee is easts territory, end of story.

I go for Parra and live in Perth, but I was born in Darlinghurst and first lived in Bondi. I know the eastern suburbs and I know they've been Souths territory ever since Easts died and became the Sydney City Roosters.

goodplayer

Juniors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Suburbs_(Sydney)
The Eastern Suburbs is the metropolitan area directly to the east and south-east of the Sydney central business district in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. This can include the suburbs within the local government areas of Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and part of the City of Sydney. The Australian Bureau of Statistics' "Eastern Suburbs Statistical Subdivision" includes only the Woollahra, Waverley and Randwick LGAs. According to the 2011 Census, the region's population was 249,546,[1] up from 230,757 in 2006.[2]

wake up buddy

souths sydney rabbits . oxford st was the boundary. anything south of that was rabbits . sfs is in souths area . russel crowe just stated the same thing

the old sydney sports ground . rabbits let roosters play there :p

RoosTah

Juniors
I go for Parra and live in Perth, but I was born in Darlinghurst and first lived in Bondi. I know the eastern suburbs and I know they've been Souths territory ever since Easts died and became the Sydney City Roosters.

Oh wait, so you're going on definitions by the team's name, yet ignoring that Coogee isn't part of "South Sydney", and also that the Roosters official name was only very briefly "Sydney City" (something that 4 or 5 other clubs did at the same time during that horror period in the 90s) and is now actually just "Sydney"? You're making no sense, and by your logic all of Sydney should actually be Roosters territory.

strong_latte

Juniors

That makes absolutely no sense. So the Roosters being called "Sydney City" for a brief period means that the Eastern Suburbs are suddenly part of South Sydney? I call bullshit on that. Also, considering South Sydney got kicked out of the comp not long after that, shouldn't that therefore mean all of Souths territory became Easts territory? Same logic ;) .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also, considering South Sydney got kicked out of the comp not long after that, shouldn't that therefore mean all of Souths territory became Easts territory? Same logic ;) .

It's fair logic too. When Souths got the arse their territory would have been split between the Chooks and Dragons.

But since they've come back they are massive, and absolutely own the suburbs all around the city (including the east). They are perennial underdogs, and everybody loves an underdog.

RoosTah

Juniors
It's fair logic too. When Souths got the arse their territory would have been split between the Chooks and Dragons.

But since they've come back they are massive, and absolutely own the suburbs all around the city (including the east). They are perennial underdogs, and everybody loves an underdog.

Problem is mate, that in Coogee you just never see Souths fans... Maroubra? Sure, but not in Coogee. You can say it's Souffs land till you're blue in the face, but the locals don't agree. I've lived there forever and I'd be willing to bet it's at least 3 to 1 in favour of Easts fans. People don't identify the Eastern Suburbs as being part of "South Sydney territory" for a reason: because it's quite simply not. The only definition that includes these definitively eastern suburbs in Souths territory is the juniors, and if you run that logic, then Brisbane is a province of Melbourne.

Last edited:

Ozzy

First Grade
Problem is mate, that in Coogee you just never see Souths fans... Maroubra? Sure, but not in Coogee. You can say it's Souffs land till you're blue in the face, but the locals don't agree. I've lived there forever and I'd be willing to bet it's at least 3 to 1 in favour of Easts fans. People don't identify the Eastern Suburbs as being part of "South Sydney territory" for a reason: because it's quite simply not. The only definition that includes these definitively eastern suburbs in Souths territory is the juniors, and if you run that logic, then Brisbane is a province of Melbourne.

do_not_feed_the_troll_by_veilx-d38viyi.jpg

Dogmatix

Juniors
Coogee has always been Souths territory

I did a few years of primary school in Coogee back in the 1980s and I remember Mario Fenech coming round to visit the school and hand out passes to the weekend games. No Roosters players ever turned up as they were too busy visiting schools in the Roosters territory of Bondi

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I lived in Coogee as well (including in 2002 when the Chooks won the comp) and nobody would've known I was a Parra fan. What kind of adult gets around in NRL merchandise?

Back then I saw a few Roosters flags around grand final time but that was only eight years since there was a team named Easts. And I reckon there are a lot less NRL fans in the eastern suburbs now than there was. But Souths fans are everywhere (including here in Freo). If they make the grand final, then have a look at how many Souths fans are in the eastern suburbs.

Counting Roosters bandwagoners in a premiership year isn't a reliable sample, especially when comparing with other teams.

Souths are a higher profile club and their players are more charismatic and engaging than dull professionals like Minichiello and Williams. And Souths players are always hanging around the eastern suburbs. Do you expect to find them in the local at Redfern?

Last edited:

strong_latte

Juniors
Souths are a higher profile club and their players are more charismatic and engaging than dull professionals like Minichiello and Williams. And Souths players are always hanging around the eastern suburbs. Do you expect to find them in the local at Redfern?

LMAO that's just hilarious.

But all the same...

71077_480929145102_6181438_n.jpg

saint.nick

Coach

It depends on what you define as East. Everything used to be located according to the CBD, or just 'Sydney'. Bondi is almost directly East of it. Coogee is rather a lot more so south-east of the CBD. I know a Roosters fan who said he used to live in the Eastern Suburbs. I asked where, he said Maroubra, yet he's still happy to concede it's Souths territory. This argument will rage on and on until the NRL come out and categorically draw up the border.

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
Oh wait, so you're going on definitions by the team's name, yet ignoring that Coogee isn't part of "South Sydney", and also that the Roosters official name was only very briefly "Sydney City" (something that 4 or 5 other clubs did at the same time during that horror period in the 90s) and is now actually just "Sydney"? You're making no sense, and by your logic all of Sydney should actually be Roosters territory.

Bit off topic, but what's the point in calling yourselves the Sydney Roosters when it's a false representation? I find it odd to claim you represent the East and then call yourself 'Sydney'.

strong_latte

Juniors
Bit off topic, but what's the point in calling yourselves the Sydney Roosters when it's a false representation? I find it odd to claim you represent the East and then call yourself 'Sydney'.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think the rebrand has had any effect on the fan base. That was clearly done to make the club's identity less specific to the Eastern Suburbs, but it has never really had an effect - something that is pretty obvious sitting in the Chook Pen and the chant of "Easts!" going round at every home game.

Frankly, if it were up to the fans, I'm pretty sure the club would have its name changed back to simply 'Eastern Suburbs' and the logo changed to something a little more old school ala the way the Doggies did.

saint.nick

Coach
Obviously I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think the rebrand has had any effect on the fan base. That was clearly done to make the club's identity less specific to the Eastern Suburbs, but it has never really had an effect - something that is pretty obvious sitting in the Chook Pen and the chant of "Easts!" going round at every home game.

Frankly, if it were up to the fans, I'm pretty sure the club would have its name changed back to simply 'Eastern Suburbs' and the logo changed to something a little more old school ala the way the Doggies did.

You've been on this website 9 years more than I have, yet I've already beaten you to the 2 star 'bench'. I need to re-organise my priorities in life...

strong_latte

Juniors
You've been on this website 9 years more than I have, yet I've already beaten you to the 2 star 'bench'. I need to re-organise my priorities in life...

Bahaha I forgot about this place to be honest and only reactivated recently after a friend sent me a thread here and I remembered I had an account.

Latest posts