What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coogee and Clovelly are not Soufs territory!

goodplayer

Juniors
Obviously I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think the rebrand has had any effect on the fan base. That was clearly done to make the club's identity less specific to the Eastern Suburbs, but it has never really had an effect - something that is pretty obvious sitting in the Chook Pen and the chant of "Easts!" going round at every home game.

Frankly, if it were up to the fans, I'm pretty sure the club would have its name changed back to simply 'Eastern Suburbs' and the logo changed to something a little more old school ala the way the Doggies did.

REMEMBER the SYDNEY BULLDOGS

they went to name change aswell ;-)

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
So did the Sydney Tigers briefly.

By your logic Parramatta represents only Parramatta. Sorrounding suburbs like Granville, Merrylands and Westmead are not represented by Parramatta. You can't have Castle Hill, Kellyville or Baulkham Hills as they are part of the Baulkham Hills council area and alternatively considered North West Sydney. An area which does not have its own NRL team. Same goes for places like Cabramatta, Canley Vale. They are part of Fairfield. This area is western sydney so as we have Wests Tigers obviously these parts are Wests Tigers territory.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
By your logic Parramatta represents only Parramatta. Sorrounding suburbs like Granville, Merrylands and Westmead are not represented by Parramatta. You can't have Castle Hill, Kellyville or Baulkham Hills as they are part of the Baulkham Hills council area and alternatively considered North West Sydney. An area which does not have its own NRL team. Same goes for places like Cabramatta, Canley Vale. They are part of Fairfield. This area is western sydney so as we have Wests Tigers obviously these parts are Wests Tigers territory.

Looks like you're new to this kind of thing: Reductio ad absurdum:

Reductio ad absurdum is only valid when it builds on assertions which are actually present in the argument it is deconstructing, and not when it misrepresents them as a straw man.

If there was an alternate NRL team covering the suburbs you mention then you would be correct. In fact you are correct with some of them - for example Cabramatta probably is part of Bulldogs or Tigers territory. And when North Sydney still had an NRL team places like Epping and North Ryde were Bears territory.

When Eastern Suburbs had an NRL team then the eastern suburbs were definitely Roosters territory. But they folded and made a new team in the CBD. Souths came back and filled the void. Blame Russell Crowe.

Fairfax

Juniors
The NRL license belongs to Eastern Suburbs District Rugby a league Football Club trading as Sydney Roosters. South Sydney DRLFC no longer exists. there is BlackCourt investments trading as South Sydney Football Club... One mob has been in every comp since 1908. The other is a shelf company with a history of less than ten years.

It certainly used to be. Not any more though. Shit, when I was a kid some of the teams around North Ryde played in the Dragons' local comp.

You might want to do some research champ. North Ryde started in 1958 and has always been Balmain. Since the 80s there have been many combined comps for older age groups including Balmain/Norths Balmain/Saints and now the ICC which includes Balmain south's easts western suburbs saints and Canterbury. The teams still remain under their own district umbrella though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah well that further illustrates my point - junior boundaries are meaningless ever since junior players were welcome to play for any rep team that would pick them. Or poach them. You guys should know all about that.

Lambretta

First Grade
I go for Parra and live in Perth, but I was born in Darlinghurst and first lived in Bondi. I know the eastern suburbs and I know they've been Souths territory ever since Easts died and became the Sydney City Roosters.

Bolloks

You will not find a single person who lives in Coogee, Clovelly, Bondi, Bondi Junction, Rose Bay, Double Bay, Vaucluse, Randwick, Centennial Park, Paddington, Woolahra, Watsons Bay, Waverley, Darling Point or Point Piper tell you they live in South Sydney. They will tell you to a man that they live in the Eastern Suburbs.

Easts never abandoned the Eastern Suburbs - they changed their name to Sydney City briefly and then changed it to "Sydney".

Sydney doesn't mean the CBD (where few people actually live) - it means the whole Sydney geography. Easts did it to appeal to a WIDER audience, not a smaller one.

Your argument is illogical

Lambretta

First Grade
Bit off topic, but what's the point in calling yourselves the Sydney Roosters when it's a false representation? I find it odd to claim you represent the East and then call yourself 'Sydney'.

Supporters see us as representing the Eastern Suburbs, our traditional home

The club wants to promote itself as the team that represents the whole Sydney geographical area as it recognises that the Eastern Suburbs themselves won't grow and most of the population tend to follow other sports such as AFL, Soccer and Rugby Union.

Personally I thought the link to Newtown was another part of our plan to try and appeal to the Inner West as they no longer had a team with Wests in Campbelltown. However we've dropped that association and have linked with a Central Coast side. Luckily, the Central Coast has "Eastern suburbs" so if we go back to Eastern Suburbs we can claim Terrigal, Avoca Beach and the Entrance.

alien

Referee
The NRL license belongs to Eastern Suburbs District Rugby a league Football Club trading as Sydney Roosters. South Sydney DRLFC no longer exists. there is BlackCourt investments trading as South Sydney Football Club... One mob has been in every comp since 1908. The other is a shelf company with a history of less than ten years.

:lol: both clubs are the same clubs, even if one has a name change and the other has new owners

and if a suburb is in souths junior district then it is in souths area, no matter where it is located on the map

RoosTah

Juniors

That's gold. Thank you hahaha

m0j0

Bench
I must preface this comment by stating that I cannot vouch either way to the accuracy of this map, but I found this image showing the Roosters and Bunnies border after the hostile takeover of the 1950's. The one thing this shows is that, despite what Rusty "The Mouth From The South" blurts out, Moore Park is officially within our minuscule area.

So, piss of back to Redfern Russ.

Border_2.JPG

Lambretta

First Grade
and if a suburb is in souths junior district then it is in souths area, no matter where it is located on the map

This is why Easts gave up trying to play by your rules and invented their own where they ran their club professionally and paid players to play for them

And for years Souths fans whinged about how unfair that was. You reap what you sow.

It took forty years for Souths to finally cotton on and even then it only happened when there was a buy out of the club

Now you almost can't tell the difference between the clubs in how they are run or who supports them. You have become us. Congratulations.

goodplayer

Juniors
I must preface this comment by stating that I cannot vouch either way to the accuracy of this map, but I found this image showing the Roosters and Bunnies border after the hostile takeover of the 1950's. The one thing this shows is that, despite what Rusty "The Mouth From The South" blurts out, Moore Park is officially within our minuscule area.

So, piss of back to Redfern Russ.

Border_2.JPG
oxford street was always the border line. anything south is rabbits, that includes SFS , moore park ok ;-)

roosters know this , so stop crowing :lol:

rooster25

Juniors
I live in Coogee and have I or any of it's residents ever said we live in "south Sydney"? No never. It is the Eastern Suburbs which is Roosters territory and a council that had a rort of a vote where non residents could vote cannot tell us our area is Rabbitohs territory.

RoosTah

Juniors
I live in Coogee and have I or any of it's residents ever said we live in "south Sydney"? No never. It is the Eastern Suburbs which is Roosters territory and a council that had a rort of a vote where non residents could vote cannot tell us our area is Rabbitohs territory.

Yeah I know right. Kind of irritating they have those bloody Souths flags flying down at the beach though...

Latest posts