What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

possm

Coach
There must be a way to pool it or fudge it in someway to get us a new jockey to ride & steer the horse. I'm sure Half the other clubs have accountants whom are master jugglers.

There is now a cap on coaching staff expenditure but I believe this expenditure is mainly funded by the Clubs. SGI now have WIN and St George Leagues Club as our owners; both have the funds to sign a top line coach if they wanted to do that.

The selection of Mary as coach has more to do with internal politics at SGI rather than doing what is in the best interest of SGI.

possm

Coach
Yes, but desperate times call for desperate measures and I'm frustrated being stuck in the McJetski twilight era! LOL :smile:
I've been frustrated with Mary as coach for a most of the time he has held the position. It was clear to me after the first 6 months of him being appointed that he was not what SGI needed.

The only way to stop all of this internal nepotism, corruption and jobs for the boys would be to alter the rules for the selection of Board Members of the St George side of SGI. If/when this is done, we will be on our way to greatness again with the possibility of members voting in Board members on merit.

Everyone who can play in the halves in 2020 are already off contract right now.

The fact is Norman is the best half on the market and would probably have been our target anyway
Everyone who can play in the halves in 2020 are already off contract right now.

The fact is Norman is the best half on the market and would probably have been our target anyway
Right but it still poses the question - if we did recruit him, and Widdop plays 5/8, where will Norman play in 2019?

I've been frustrated with Mary as coach for a most of the time he has held the position. It was clear to me after the first 6 months of him being appointed that he was not what SGI needed.

The only way to stop all of this internal nepotism, corruption and jobs for the boys would be to alter the rules for the selection of Board Members of the St George side of SGI. If/when this is done, we will be on our way to greatness again with the possibility of members voting in Board members on merit.
Constitutionally how can that change come about?
If the Board has to rubber stamp such a change in board member selection, then it will never happen.
Especially now that it is privately owned.

Reactions: jak

SEAT 1A

Bench
I'm confident that Brownie could indeed mark him as a very good hooker. I wish him well Xx

Same her Drag.

Kurt did everything he was asked here at the Dragons however, knowing his role shouldn't change game to game week by week or even which side he will be playing should see the best of him.

Brownie saw a player that could improve his team where he was a player to fill holes with us.

possm

Coach
Constitutionally how can that change come about?
If the Board has to rubber stamp such a change in board member selection, then it will never happen.
Especially now that it is privately owned.

I expect that once the WIN side of the Board wake up to the fact that if things were run more professionally and the old boys club is costing them success on and off the field, WIN together with a ground swell of SGI supporters might just bring about change.

possm

Coach
Fox news saying done deal over 3 years... Just waiting on Dragons to an announce the signing.

And yet Millward indicated to the contrary a few days ago during a video interview. So now, which position in the run on 13 will he be selected in? If Dufty comes through off-season training with promise, then the only other position would be left centre in place of Lafai. I definitely can't see him selected at 14 as a few on here prefer.

tumbidragon

First Grade
And yet Millward indicated to the contrary a few days ago during a video interview. So now, which position in the run on 13 will he be selected in? If Dufty comes through off-season training with promise, then the only other position would be left centre in place of Lafai. I definitely can't see him selected at 14 as a few on here prefer.
Millward said we hadn't found any outside backs yet, but we are looking to sign a cpl.
In regards to someone filling Mann's roll (Norman #14 for 2019 at least) he said we were 'going to have to be patient with that'. So perhaps that situation has progressed since that interview. Never said anything contrary to what was known then or now, as it still hasn't been announced by the club.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
THE Dragons are set to land one of the most significant signing coups of the off-season with Parramatta playmaker Corey Norman expected to sign a three-year deal in the Red V within the next 48 hours.

The move will strengthen the St George Illawarra roster immensely with the Red V set to have Ben Hunt, Gareth Widdop and Norman all sharing playmaking responsibilities.

Norman, 27, is expected to play fullback or five-eighth, which will throw up questions about current Dragons no.1 Matt Dufty.

Eels powerbrokers held a recruitment meeting on Tuesday where the future of Norman was top of the agenda.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur and recruitment manager Peter Sharp are both big Norman supporters and are happy to see the playmaker get the chance to reignite his career at the Dragons.

The Dragons will sign Norman on a three-year deal, which will provide them with well-balanced playmaking depth if captain Gareth Widdop opts to return to the UK Super League in 2020.

Widdop has guaranteed he will be at the Dragons next season but may decide to return home to England beyond that.

Norman’s agent Paul Sutton is currently overseas but has been working overtime to ensure the deal gets done.

Sutton also looks after Dragons captain Widdop. The Dragons had previously made a play for Jarryd Hayne but went cold.

Norman joined the Eels in 2014 and helped steer the club into the 2017 finals before Parramatta flopped last season.

The talented playmaker had a series of run-ins with management at the Eels and was given a breach notice for drinking while injured in August.

If the Dragons can get Norman right, there is no questioning his talent.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/81877109f39ea0f02083ac94c43c3ba3

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors
THE Dragons are set to land one of the most significant signing coups of the off-season with Parramatta playmaker Corey Norman expected to sign a three-year deal in the Red V within the next 48 hours.

The move will strengthen the St George Illawarra roster immensely with the Red V set to have Ben Hunt, Gareth Widdop and Norman all sharing playmaking responsibilities.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/81877109f39ea0f02083ac94c43c3ba3

If this is true, I see Widdop moving back to fb to reduce the defensive load on his shoulder

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Drums are beating too loud for this nof to happen, so welxome to thecDragons Corey

Now, where will he play in 2019?
To me Widdops injury/s are considered worse than what we ars being told. So, my guess is that either will start from the bench in 2019, with Norman taking ovef the full time 5/8 role in 2020+.