What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

Belta

Juniors
https://www.nospam47.com/au/amp/lea...atta-eels-kurt-mann/av9r2l17b06z1qcr1nfcqpbdf
A pay war between St George Illawarra and Parramatta is keeping negotiations of a release for Corey Norman at bay, with both parties refusing to budge on their offers.

The Eels are willing to chip in for part of Norman's lucrative $900,000 a year deal, however the Dragons are demanding them to dip further into their pocket.

I don't want Norman at all !

No surprise to hear we are at a stalemate. I had guessed the Dragons be looking at paying about 500k of the 900k contract for 2019. In this instance the Eels would essentially be putting a match to 400k. I imagine that would not be an easy thing to do. Certainly be nice to be a fly on the wall as this one plays out.

Gareth67

First Grade
No surprise to hear we are at a stalemate. I had guessed the Dragons be looking at paying about 500k of the 900k contract for 2019. In this instance the Eels would essentially be putting a match to 400k. I imagine that would not be an easy thing to do. Certainly be nice to be a fly on the wall as this one plays out.

Pardon my ignorance but cannot Norman himself say that he will accept a pay cut or must he be paid the amount that his current contract states ?

If he does want out from the Eels surely he could tell his manager that , I am not suggesting that the short fall be made up in the final 2 years of his tenure at the Dragons ( now that Todd Greenberg has specifically said that will stop ) .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
And exactly what position is he going to play if he comes to our club?
Forget about all this Widdop to 1 bullshit as that will not be happening.
If he is a bench player then why are we looking at a $900k marked down player to fill that role?
If it is a long term view that Widdop is going then Field will be the next casualty.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Don't see how EA fits into our forward pack. We are stacked!
I agree, but maybe Mary may intent to have him take Mann's spot as the utility. He could come on and play back row and be cover for centre in case a back gets injured?

If he is a bench player then why are we looking at a $900k marked down player to fill that role?
If it is a long term view that Widdop is going then Field will be the next casualty.
If Widdop at FB is BS then we don't need Norman.
Then we have the whole of 2019 to recruit a replacement for Widdop.

red rocket

Juniors
Everyone who can play in the halves in 2020 are already off contract right now.

The fact is Norman is the best half on the market and would probably have been our target anyway
Think it's a race between us and the warriors do they pay overs for moses or do we pay overs for norman or does moses go to Broncos and nickorima to warriors eels will only lose one of the 2 the race is on

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Pardon my ignorance but cannot Norman himself say that he will accept a pay cut or must he be paid the amount that his current contract states ?

If he does want out from the Eels surely he could tell his manager that , I am not suggesting that the short fall be made up in the final 2 years of his tenure at the Dragons ( now that Todd Greenberg has specifically said that will stop ) .

Gareth
He has to be payed in full.
Whatever his current contract is.
If you believe the papers its 930000.
So say we table on offer of 500k then parra makes up the difference.
That is the rules re existing contracts.
This will take a while.
I think we are doing the right thing here by holding out.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Correct OT if norman is going to take over from widdop whenever he leaves then if I were field I would be looking elsewhere.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Gareth
This will take a while.
I think we are doing the write thing here by holding out.
Definitely the right decision, because eventually the Eels will have to choose between paying a bit more than they wanted, or paying 100% of his contract.

They will budge first

possm

Coach
I agree, but maybe Mary may intent to have him take Mann's spot as the utility. He could come on and play back row and be cover for centre in case a back gets injured?

Aitken's move to the forwards will begin at ISP level. For an NRL spot he would have to displace both Leilua and Host in the bench backrow spot and also halt Robson's rapid rise as a triangle bench player in the hooker rotation and lock rotation in the same way Dean Young was so successful.

My tip is that Aitken will end up as a first grade backrow forward but not at SGI.

possm

Coach
Gareth
This will take a while.
I think we are doing the write thing here by holding out.

Does Norman's contract with the Eels end in 2020, if so Millward should be negotiating a contract with him using the cap space left over from Widdop's departure.

If Parramatta want to off-load Norman for the 2019 season, they will have to meet the market and comply with the rules currently in place. SGI do not need Norman for the 2019 season however, if Parramatta need cap space to comply with salary cap ceilings. There is a risk to SGI with the signing of Norman and that risk should be reflected in the 2019 price both the Eeels and Dragons pay for the deal.