What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Dragon David

First Grade
So it now appears CH.9 do not want the NRL to return in 2020. I agree and it saves the Dragons a year of McDipshit pain whilst dealing with the other virus spread.
I know that this is a no shit thing that I am posting, but the whole aim of getting the league back on as quickly as possible is no doubt money driven to the extent that unless the broadcasters/NRL can sort out the financial issues soon then there will not be time for a proper competition for this year.

Also, the clubs need to know the full agenda proposed - structure, logistics, isolation, medical clearance, payments, salary caps, welfare, the list goes on. All of these issues take time to resolve and whilst it is good that they have put in a start date of 28 May in the agenda, I think that they have put the cart before the horse and the league now cannot be driven forward in my opinion for this year. That is why Ch9 says that the comp should be scrapped for this year on top of their stating that they could save $130m by not broadcasting the games.

Darius Boyd has said that he would seriously look at retiring now if the games were put on involving living away from home for 4 months. He does not want to be apart from his young family for that period and I think that many other players with young families are feeling the same way. In addition, it would be totally unfair for all clubs, mainly interstate ones and the Warriors, to not be playing on their own turf.

IMO the whole affair will not be sorted realistically in time to prepare for some type of competition this year.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I know that this is a no shit thing that I am posting, but the whole aim of getting the league back on as quickly as possible is no doubt money driven to the extent that unless the broadcasters/NRL can sort out the financial issues soon then there will not be time for a proper competition for this year.

Also, the clubs need to know the full agenda proposed - structure, logistics, isolation, medical clearance, payments, salary caps, welfare, the list goes on. All of these issues take time to resolve and whilst it is good that they have put in a start date of 28 May in the agenda, I think that they have put the cart before the horse and the league now cannot be driven forward in my opinion for this year. That is why Ch9 says that the comp should be scrapped for this year on top of their stating that they could save $130m by not broadcasting the games.

Darius Boyd has said that he would seriously look at retiring now if the games were put on involving living away from home for 4 months. He does not want to be apart from his young family for that period and I think that many other players with young families are feeling the same way. In addition, it would be totally unfair for all clubs, mainly interstate ones and the Warriors, to not be playing on their own turf.

IMO the whole affair will not be sorted realistically in time to prepare for some type of competition this year.

Agreed.

To me and probably everyone, the only reason the nrl are so desperate to restart the season is that they are broke so the real concern looking at the big picture is that maybe, the nrl won't be around by the start of next season .......... unless they are prepared to work for free, on a delay payment structure, which l can't see happening.

If this was to happen and there were no further games this year, will the banks bail out the clubs until next season?

If the nrl head office was to go broke, do the surviving clubs select a new head office ( people )?
Might not be a bad thing.
The clubs may decide to put real nrl people with business knowledge in place of the plastics that are there now.
l'm glad Beattie is gone, otherwise he'd put in a bunch of gender neutrals just so the shopfront would appease the bleeding heart society ......... ( not that there's anything wrong with that )... my ass.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agreed.

To me and probably everyone, the only reason the nrl are so desperate to restart the season is that they are broke so the real concern looking at the big picture is that maybe, the nrl won't be around by the start of next season .......... unless they are prepared to work for free, on a delay payment structure, which l can't see happening.

If this was to happen and there were no further games this year, will the banks bail out the clubs until next season?

If the nrl head office was to go broke, do the surviving clubs select a new head office ( people )?
Might not be a bad thing.
The clubs may decide to put real nrl people with business knowledge in place of the plastics that are there now.
l'm glad Beattie is gone, otherwise he'd put in a bunch of gender neutrals just so the shopfront would appease the bleeding heart society ......... ( not that there's anything wrong with that )... my ass.

To me this whole scene and the players in that scene have now been found out as a result of the COVID-19 infiltration. Mismanagement of funds and the running of the league for some time is the theme of this play. The whole drama and the players in it are heading for a fall IMO and much of this is going to be put into the too hard basket!

BLM01

First Grade

I disagree. It will be up and running in some shape or form May 28
They have their funds, their loan..some lockdown restrictions will be rolled back by then especially in NSW.
Players will start training in abt 4 weeks as a team under strict protocol similar to what has been applied to racing NSW. All of course... IMO

Dragon David

First Grade
I disagree. It will be up and running in some shape or form May 28
They have their funds, their loan..some lockdown restrictions will be rolled back by then especially in NSW.
Players will start training in abt 4 weeks as a team under strict protocol similar to what has been applied to racing NSW. All of course... IMO
I guess we will have to wait and see but as I have said before, it could be a piecemeal comp and any victory will be hollow in the scheme of things.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I guess we will have to wait and see but as I have said before, it could be a piecemeal comp and any victory will be hollow in the scheme of things.

Except for an abandoned & drowning Waterboy clutching at straws
(it’s OK Tyson, we understand)

...with an 18% win ratio over 12 months.

How do you keep a straight face Kent?

Or do you recognise a fellow struggler?

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Hard to argue with your logic DD- there are just too many moving factors in this complex equation for quick resolution-Vlandys will no doubt point to his success in keeping the racing industry up and running but Rugby League and Racing are chalk and cheese. No code of football anywhere in the developed world that I 'm aware of has put an exact return date like the NRL.

TruSaint

Referee

Yes. A restart of the game with the intention of salvaging its financial viability may well do the exact opposite.

The games reputation will take a hit. I firmly believe that. Im sorry, this isn't racing. Any comp rushed to finish off a season with no crowds, with no real winner, will fizzle off after a while as even players wont give 2 hoots about the result.

redv13

Bench
I have posted my opinion on SOO on this very forum over the years. I know its a spectacle, but it means zip to me. Criteria is BS, and disrupts the proper season. Sadly, its all about $$$, and as we know it rates.
Agree!! The system causes dramas with a teams momentum, players are missing for 2 months and the risk of injury and end of season burnout does my head in. To be honest I haven’t given a rats arse about origin for about 20 years and wouldn’t care at all if it was scrapped

Crush

Coach
I have posted my opinion on SOO on this very forum over the years. I know its a spectacle, but it means zip to me. Criteria is BS, and disrupts the proper season. Sadly, its all about $$$, and as we know it rates.
100% agree Tru.
I think Dragons fans in particular struggle with the disruptions it causes because of the memory of 2011. I'll never forget it. We won 10 from 11 before Origin then it all fell apart. Jamie Soward wasn't the same player after that Origin series, neither were the dragons.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree!! The system causes dramas with a teams momentum, players are missing for 2 months and the risk of injury and end of season burnout does my head in. To be honest I haven’t given a rats arse about origin for about 20 years and wouldn’t care at all if it was scrapped

It will never be scrapped bro.

Too much money involved.

I remember having a debate with a fellow Saints fan who asked me " why do you watch it then ?". To which I answered a.) primarily to ensure that our players don't get injured and b.) what the fook else is on 8 pm on a Wed ?

There are great players exhibiting great skills but for mine the premiership and minor premiership means more. Followed by proper tests v England and NZ, and now the pacific islands.

TruSaint

Referee
100% agree Tru.
I think Dragons fans in particular struggle with the disruptions it causes because of the memory of 2011. I'll never forget it. We won 10 from 11 before Origin then it all fell apart. Jamie Soward wasn't the same player after that Origin series, neither were the dragons.

Yep... fooked our season.

Dragon David

First Grade
To me SOO is about the ratings Ch9 craves for and advertising revenue that keeps the channel going which is fair enough. There are also a lot of egos to be satisfied that comes with the glory of winning the series. The problem has always been with the scheduling, risk of injury and end of season burn out as you say redv13, particularly with our guys.

TruSaint

Referee
To me SOO is about the ratings Ch9 craves for and advertising revenue that keeps the channel going which is fair enough. There are also a lot of egos to be satisfied that comes with the glory of winning the series. The problem has always been with the scheduling, risk of injury and end of season burn out as you say redv13, particularly with our guys.

Add to this, the fact that now players have conditions in their contracts to trigger increases should they reach SOO level. So they get the bonus in the club salary and the game day payments. I can live with that deal representing your country at the seasons end ( or at a dedicated time frame that doesnt fook up the season proper), , but SOO ? Nope.

BLM01

First Grade
SOO is more than just about Channel 9. The NRL, players and sponsors rake it in from that showpiece as well.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A national alcohol research body has slammed retailers using coronavirus-related marketing to boost sales, including ads it claims promote drinking as a solution to isolation boredom and depression.

A number of businesses have begun using coronavirus-related terms in online marketing, including advertising "survival kits" and "isolation six-packs".

More:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...lcohol-marketing-sparks-call-for-ban/12151912

Crush

Coach
I have come across numerous things to suggest that it is been exaggerated by the media and governments.

There are many calling it out as being fake in all of our countries from social media, to experts to citizen reporters going to hospitals showing they are empty and the testing facilities are empty.

Governments are borrowing money from foreign banks, which is exactly what the banksters want. They can then bankrupt our countries and gain control of our land and assets, similar to what they did to Greece and 3rd world countries. They can also buy small and medium businesses up for a fraction of what they were worth or buy up the land or premises. They can destroy their competition. By making all governments insolvent at once, they can then further their plans for one world government.

Those you label conspiracy theorist are actually the ones who are seeking the truth.

The governments are obviously getting their orders from "higher up". They are all doing exactly the same thing. It should be obvious that we are all living under the same rule and that democracy is a sham and an illusion. They control the mainstream media and the narrative the masses hear, read and see. It is designed to destroy jobs, destroy small and middle business and to bankrupt all of the world's economies all at once. I speak to many people about this and most of them can see what I am talking about, except you. lol

This morning, I told everyone where to go and research this, but in my post, the site I recommended was censored and replaced with *removed*. lol
I think the governments idea for all Australians to install the tracking application on their phones is a great idea.
I'd be comfortable with the microchip option also but with all citizens carrying phones these days I think that also works. Maybe we just chip the children under 10 that don't have phones?

Crush

Coach
A national alcohol research body has slammed retailers using coronavirus-related marketing to boost sales, including ads it claims promote drinking as a solution to isolation boredom and depression.

A number of businesses have begun using coronavirus-related terms in online marketing, including advertising "survival kits" and "isolation six-packs".

More:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...lcohol-marketing-sparks-call-for-ban/12151912
I think this is a real concern. So many people turn to alcohol when stressed, bored, depressed.
It doesn't help. It amplifies these feelings and can cause long term damage to vital organs.
Alcohol is a drug, the fact that it is so socially acceptable to drink excessively in the country is a joke.