What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Old Timer

Coach
To me SOO is about the ratings Ch9 craves for and advertising revenue that keeps the channel going which is fair enough. There are also a lot of egos to be satisfied that comes with the glory of winning the series. The problem has always been with the scheduling, risk of injury and end of season burn out as you say redv13, particularly with our guys.
Once upon a time the City V Country & NSW V Qld rep matches all had a real purpose in that that was the way to getting test selection.
Test sides would only be picked at the conclusion of those series and of course it almost always led to a bolter or 2 from country or Qld making the team and then in turn them making their way into the Sydney comp.
We have now scrapped City V Country and created SOO which in fact is the test series you play when you aren't playing a test. In fact it is the replacement of international games as the tests are now pretty much played in Mickey Mouse locations with small crowds.
SOO should be at the conclusion of the season 3 games in 2 weeks or if it has to be mid season then the entire comp stops for 2 weeks whilst it is concluded.
The reality is SOO actually serves no real purpose other than filling the coffers of the NRL for more snouts to be able to get into the trough and for the players to earn even bigger pay days that ultimately costs the fans even more $$$.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think this is a real concern. So many people turn to alcohol when stressed, bored, depressed.
It doesn't help. It amplifies these feelings and can cause long term damage to vital organs.
Alcohol is a drug, the fact that it is so socially acceptable to drink excessively in the country is a joke.
I forget to add... when doing the survey the sample they used were St George supporters.

Dragon David

First Grade
Once upon a time the City V Country & NSW V Qld rep matches all had a real purpose in that that was the way to getting test selection.
Test sides would only be picked at the conclusion of those series and of course it almost always led to a bolter or 2 from country or Qld making the team and then in turn them making their way into the Sydney comp.
We have now scrapped City V Country and created SOO which in fact is the test series you play when you aren't playing a test. In fact it is the replacement of international games as the tests are now pretty much played in Mickey Mouse locations with small crowds.
SOO should be at the conclusion of the season 3 games in 2 weeks or if it has to be mid season then the entire comp stops for 2 weeks whilst it is concluded.
The reality is SOO actually serves no real purpose other than filling the coffers of the NRL for more snouts to be able to get into the trough and for the players to earn even bigger pay days that ultimately costs the fans even more $$$.

Agreed!

Old Timer

Coach
By the look of it Fittler is now the leading expert on Coronavirus and sport.
OK Freddy if it's all ok and there are no issues how about you put up a guarantee that if anything does go wrong you will leave the RL world forever and never be heard of again as well as paying compensation to any NRL player that does contract it.
If it's all a no brainer and the Qld premier and her heart experts are so wrong well you have nothing to worry about just put up or STFU.
Brain deads who are overt risk takers at the best of times telling medical experts what to do so as to save a floundering sport that is badly administered and willing to take all sorts of risks due to their appalling financial position.
RL is a f**king joke and is anyone else sick of "big Gal" yet?
Almost everyday there is something about Gal FMD another one with the snout well and truly in the trough.
Big Gal a close 2nd to C Smith as being a "hog" (ok a merkin) in very respect of what he can get out of the game irregardless of others.

Crush

Coach
OK Freddy if it's all ok and there are no issues how about you put up a guarantee that if anything does go wrong you will leave the RL world forever and never be heard of again as well as paying compensation to any NRL player that does contract it.
If it's all a no brainer and the Qld premier and her heart experts are so wrong well you have nothing to worry about just put up or STFU.
Brain deads who are overt risk takers at the best of times telling medical experts what to do so as to save a floundering sport that is badly administered and willing to take all sorts of risks due to their appalling financial position.
Almost everyday there is something about Gal FMD another one with the snout well and truly in the trough.
Big Gal a close 2nd to C Smith as being a "hog" (ok a merkin) in very respect of what he can get out of the game irregardless of others.
I don't always agree with you OT but you have nailed this one.
Brain dead risk takers is correct.
And Gal, FFS I cannot cop this bloke. Attention seeking money hungry hog!
He's a waste of space.

BLM01

First Grade
OT why so much hate...especially for rugby league and GAL. Do you have the same hate for racing which still carries on.
And have we not flattened the curve .....just asking!..4 more weeks of lockdowns..better position?
Whether you like it or believe it or not the RL will be back baby..hopefully they will be training in 4 more weeks and we can start heading north to normaility :oops:
Dont worry our biggest threat going forward is likely from overseas with our borders being shut as they did that nearly 2 months after our 1st case in this country on the 25th January. What took em so long?.

TruSaint

Referee
OT why so much hate...especially for rugby league and GAL. Do you have the same hate for racing which still carries on.
And have we not flattened the curve .....just asking!..4 more weeks of lockdowns..better position?
Whether you like it or believe it or not the RL will be back baby..hopefully they will be training in 4 more weeks and we can start heading north to normaility :oops:
Dont worry our biggest threat going forward is likely from overseas with our borders being shut as they did that nearly 2 months after our 1st case in this country on the 25th January. What took em so long?.

Nah,

Way off. Never met @Old Timer , but to suggest he hates the game we all love is rubbish. His posts suggests otherwise.

He, i think is talking about the games admin at the minute and we look pathetic. As to Fitlers comments, I wonder how much they are based on the fact he is the current SOO coach ? And to play the "voting" game by comments such as:-

"There would have been a time where any QLD politician or person wouldn’t have uttered those words. Seriously, it will be interesting what the voters think at the moment."

He looks like a desperate fool. The game will resume when it is safe to do so. Not when Freddy and Gal think it is.

I love my RL and soccer as well, but I am ok listening to the experts and going without for a while longer.

redv13

Bench
I don't always agree with you OT but you have nailed this one.
Brain dead risk takers is correct.
And Gal, FFS I cannot cop this bloke. Attention seeking money hungry hog!
He's a waste of space.
Crush, that’s been Gal all of his career. Absolute tosser who played for an absolute wank of a club and now he has an opinion on bloody everything. Fits in perfectly on the panel with the other muppets of 9 ( except Sterlo, he’s a legend and quite unbiased )

BLM01

First Grade
Nah,

Way off. Never met @Old Timer , but to suggest he hates the game we all love is rubbish. His posts suggests otherwise.

He, i think is talking about the games admin at the minute and we look pathetic. As to Fitlers comments, I wonder how much they are based on the fact he is the current SOO coach ? And to play the "voting" game by comments such as:-

"There would have been a time where any QLD politician or person wouldn’t have uttered those words. Seriously, it will be interesting what the voters think at the moment."

He looks like a desperate fool. The game will resume when it is safe to do so. Not when Freddy and Gal think it is.

I love my RL and soccer as well, but I am ok listening to the experts and going without for a while longer.
Yeh
I agree re the way the game has been administered..mainly Greenburg and the Commission.
..and I thought the same re OT but he did say RL...thats what made be think :confused:
But of course the game is not going to start until the people that can give it the green light..do so. But it has already gathered strong support at govt level!..to do so at least in NSW.

hazzbeen

Bench
Could not have said it any better , exactly how I feel ..... Spot on

Dragon David

First Grade
I must say that out of the two Peters we have had as Chairman of the ARL Commission, the one that stands out is the current one - V'Landy. The Beattie one was just plain hopeless. Just imagine if he was still the Chairman trying to sort all this mess out. He would have created more mess in my opinion. He also was involved in making the decision for the stand downs which ultimately affected JDB.

I wonder how V'Landy would have reacted if he was the Chairman at that time? Being an Illawarra man, he might have done things differently. Who knows?

Gareth67

First Grade

I recall when this Covid - 19 first came to our sunny shores and young Freddy said on the Nine n.r.l. show just how confused he was as to whether it was as bad as reported . Well now he knows .

Old Timer

Coach
It's not about hate for RL it's about brain dead ex footy players trying to invoke support at a critical time during a pandemic and at the same time critiquing / criticising people who are making decisions for the entire population not just a select few.
Remember a short time ago the NRL made a big deal about how "they have experts" advising them well those experts decided it best for the game to shut down almost immediately.
Well those "experts" got the flick and the NRL brought in new "like minded experts" and of course they are far better than the original lot aren't they??????
Flattened the curve that we have thus far but take your foot off the throat of this virus and we could very well end up a basket case and it only takes a few hundred irresponsible people to be infected for that to happen.
Remember round 2 where the game was before no crowds but people broke the rules and found "novel" ways to see a couple of the games live? Its not just about the game being responsible it also about the fan base remaining in isolation and proper self distancing so why give them cause to break the rules because nothing surer than you give some of them that chance they will certainly break them.
I am more than happy to take the advice of leading people in the medical field over any former or current league player or official so when the people that know something about Covid 19 say it OK to go back on the field I will be just as happy as the most ardent fan but surely there are more important things to consider about how to keep our nation safe at a very critical time other than when we start the RL comp.
Re big Gal well I just think he is another brain dead who is now considered an expert and is more than happy to also get his snout well and truly in the RL trough.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I recall when this Covid - 19 first came to our sunny shores and young Freddy said on the Nine n.r.l. show just how confused he was as to whether it was as bad as reported . Well now he knows .
Freddy seems to have a new plan & concept idea for Origin every week to get it up and running for this year.
Oh wait, who’s the coach of NSW & employed by it’s broadcasting network??
Talk about self serving!

LINESPEED

Juniors
It's not about hate for RL it's about brain dead ex footy players trying to invoke support at a critical time during a pandemic and at the same time critiquing / criticising people who are making decisions for the entire population not just a select few.
Remember a short time ago the NRL made a big deal about how "they have experts" advising them well those experts decided it best for the game to shut down almost immediately.
Well those "experts" got the flick and the NRL brought in new "like minded experts" and of course they are far better than the original lot aren't they??????
Flattened the curve that we have thus far but take your foot off the throat of this virus and we could very well end up a basket case and it only takes a few hundred irresponsible people to be infected for that to happen.
Remember round 2 where the game was before no crowds but people broke the rules and found "novel" ways to see a couple of the games live? Its not just about the game being responsible it also about the fan base remaining in isolation and proper self distancing so why give them cause to break the rules because nothing surer than you give some of them that chance they will certainly break them.
I am more than happy to take the advice of leading people in the medical field over any former or current league player or official so when the people that know something about Covid 19 say it OK to go back on the field I will be just as happy as the most ardent fan but surely there are more important things to consider about how to keep our nation safe at a very critical time other than when we start the RL comp.
Re big Gal well I just think he is another brain dead who is now considered an expert and is more than happy to also get his snout well and truly in the RL trough.

Yeah I too loathed Gal OT & refuse to watch him

Re CV I share your concerns & remember the money over health ethos from the Ruby Princess - & its consequences.

It’ll just take one asymptomatic player in this high contact sport to produce potentially 34 infections in one hit?

Nice cluster in one go?

Heed the experts & perhaps train & play away from population centres to start with - especially where there’s less virus impact?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Freddy seems to have a new plan & concept idea for Origin every week to get it up and running for this year.
Oh wait, who’s the coach of NSW & employed by it’s broadcasting network??
Talk about self serving!

True that Coffs but l do like this weeks offering ...........to play Origin in October.
It should always be played after the grand final as a fitting payback for those who have played well for the year, just like a Kangaroo selection process, plus, it would not upset the season and rob certain teams of their better players.

Last edited:

Latest posts