What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which other codes are cashed up? The AFL and Cricket maybe... certainly not Union or soccer.

AFL doesn't, they have just got a line of credit for $600mill to see them through. Doubt cricket does either. No business carries large cash surpluses, hence why Myers, Qantas etc etc are standing down staff without pay.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
AFL doesn't, they have just got a line of credit for $600mill to see them through. Doubt cricket does either. No business carries large cash surpluses, hence why Myers, Qantas etc etc are standing down staff without pay.

yep you’re right with a few exceptions in the corporate world, usually companies that have had massive periods of recent success. I remember Apple weathered the GFC with barely a blink because they were massively cashed up at the time. I suspect Amazon are in a similar position now. But they’re the exceptions and I doubt many if any sporting organisations are that flush.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Again not true, NRL has about as much cash equity, and in some sports cases more, as most of Australia's sports. This a once in a lifetime extreme scenario that no one could have been prepared for. We dont need to, but maybe we should. The problem is not lack of revenue, weve got squillions, its clubs continuing to not manage their businesses sustainably. NRL has this opportunity to change that if it has the balls. By doing so it can also reduce the amount clubs need from the NRL, giving the NRL the resources to kill Union in Australia if they could get some key clubs to switch.

So bottom line let’s kill clubs just to expand (and let’s not pretend there isn’t self interest here)...how about NO. Strengthen our core first. Mergers don’t work either they are terrible for fans. We weren’t even in a position to expand without this epidemic. There isn’t enough NRL quality players. Look at the terrible sides do we need more ordinary players?

The Great Dane

First Grade
So bottom line let’s kill clubs just to expand (and let’s not pretend there isn’t self interest here)...how about NO. Strengthen our core first. Mergers don’t work either they are terrible for fans. We weren’t even in a position to expand without this epidemic. There isn’t enough NRL quality players. Look at the terrible sides do we need more ordinary players?
In some cases we've been waiting up to 110 years for clubs to get their shit together. If it was going to happen by it's self it would have happened by now.

Your arguments are just a giant straw mans anyway, because the only person talking about killing or merging clubs is you!

franklin2323

Immortal
I can’t imagine a CEO of a side undefeated would stand for it too happen. What was the point of Round 2 and private jet if you wipe results

GongPanther

Referee
Roosters getting a leg up again.....
So let us take this consideration to thought. So after two months of a hot and grueling pre-season training, then three weeks of pre-season matches, then two weeks of the competition proper, and take in mind the effort to play in those games whether you win lose and draw. And Pierce, who mind you has been on board for 5 minutes on this job, wants to take away the comp points which teams worked very hard for? GTFO.

A move like this clearly disadvantages teams not only in wins, it also gives a clear advantage to those teams with injury concerns.

I'm sure there are other instances...

Fangs

Coach
Re stripping points its fine...as long as you don't call it the Telstra premiership. It would completely novelise the NRL. It would make re-naming DCE to 'Crazy John' not such a crazy idea.

Make it some knock out comp if you want. Sure go play SOO in Los Angeles. But stripping points/restarting the competition and pretending its the same competition would not be a sensible idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I’m advocating the exact opposite! Nrl to cap club expenditure to lowest common demoninator in order to ensure all existing clubs viability. This would see the game in much healthier and more sustainable future and allow it to grow to what it could be without the current arms race that has seen the last two decades of clubs walking the line of administration.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I’m advocating the exact opposite! Nrl to cap club expenditure to lowest common demoninator in order to ensure all existing clubs viability. This would see the game in much healthier and more sustainable future and allow it to grow to what it could be without the current arms race that has seen the last two decades of clubs walking the line of administration.

So good run clubs suffer? How do you recon Brisbane, Parramatta, Souths, etc will feel. There needs to be things looked at in expenditure but having a hard and fast rule across all clubs is unfair, different clubs are more advanced. Why should Brisbane have to spend the same as the Titans? Brisbane have shown to be profitable. We need to just get the game back to where it was before this season.

This is a glitch, and it will take 2-3 years, but we will get there. We don't have to be silly and cut clubs or expand until then, and furthermore we don't have the talent to expand right now. There just isn't that amount of quality. Lets build what we have. What I would like is a few more games in the country and a country round would be ideal though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So good run clubs suffer? How do you recon Brisbane, Parramatta, Souths, etc will feel. There needs to be things looked at in expenditure but having a hard and fast rule across all clubs is unfair, different clubs are more advanced. Why should Brisbane have to spend the same as the Titans? Brisbane have shown to be profitable. We need to just get the game back to where it was before this season.

This is a glitch, and it will take 2-3 years, but we will get there. We don't have to be silly and cut clubs or expand until then, and furthermore we don't have the talent to expand right now. There just isn't that amount of quality. Lets build what we have. What I would like is a few more games in the country and a country round would be ideal though.

and there’s the broncos fan lol.
No they don’t suffer, they can use their surplus to fund jnr RL, give to shareholders, private owners can keep the profits, they can donate it to charity, Or here’s an idea, it could be used to build an asset base so the game never finds itself in this nightmare situation again!

i don’t give a sht how they feel and nor should the commission. That’s the current problem of vested interests leading the game into dead end alleyways.
Clubs can’t be trusted, clubs want to win and will spend whatever they can keeping up. We don’t have an equal situation for clubs, take news ltd broncos with a city of 2 million potential fans and a billionaire owner compared to say titans with 500k catchment.

Capping total expenditure is an obvious move to support clubs to build sustainability and stops the nrl having to continually up the club grant at the expense of other areas of investment in the game

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I think you dont exactly understand what "cashed up" means....

The VFL have made and saved heaps of cash over the years. It would be super f*ckin dumb to just leave it sitting in the bank since you are losing money based on lost opportunities for revenue. They purchased a bunch of assets (like a stadium). Then when this went bad, they got a loan with the asset as collateral (If they dont pay it back, the bank takes the stadium).

This is what a good business does. NOT leave a pill of cash sitting in the bank waiting for a crisis to hit.

The ARL clearly dont have many assets to put up as collateral (SL meant they needed to sell most of what they had and we havent had enough revenue to build the assets back up). This is why the ARL is struggling to get loans (banks arent huge on revenue alone, incase, you know, a random virus hits and there is not more revenue).

What I dont get is why everyone expects the ARLC to be bailing clubs out. The clubs are the ones who actually have assets that they can use for bankloans.....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

No, they are standing down staff because the staff cannot work (hence, cannot make the company) and the companies arent running charities.

The only people they will negotiate with are the ones they are afraid of not getting back after the virus (For the NRL, its the players. For QANTAS, probably the pilots).

But for the shelf-stocker, the check-out chicks and every other grunt job that takes a week of training to master, these companies dont need to worry about them not coming back.

(Not moral, but its good business)