What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...ps-up-for-a-mate-in-need-20200516-p54tmr.html

Harsh reality TV
The TV rights talks between Nine (the publisher of this masthead), Foxtel and the NRL had been spirited but friendly for the most part but that has changed in recent times. Discussions about the revised season draw have been brutal; Nine and Fox have thrown out all niceties. There has also been some agenda-driven reporting, such as the story that Nine killed off Monday night football. According to the NRL, it was never seriously discussed for the return round but is on the draw for round four. So it’s hardly dead.

Nine and Fox are digging in and their partnership is now far from amicable. Acting NRL boss Andrew Abdo has been left to clean up the mess and had to work hard to get a draw out on Friday. Some big figures have been tossed around but these are the facts: for the next three years, Fox will get about a $100 million discount on its existing deal and Nine will save in the order of $70m. Fox has a long-term deal in place. Nine does not.

who renegotiates a contract and loses $170mill? Fair enough drop 25-35% of this years value, but the last two years I see no reason to reduce unless the nrl is getting something back out of the deal!

flippikat

Bench
who renegotiates a contract and loses $170mill? Fair enough drop 25-35% of this years value, but the last two years I see no reason to reduce unless the nrl is getting something back out of the deal!

*shrugs* Maybe some kind of flexibility to expand the competition mid-contract? If they do, maybe that can get them a bit more money at the back-end of the deal - especially if it's 2 new clubs that results in an extra game each weekend.

franklin2323

Immortal

I am waiting to see something offical and the details before I comment

Cactus

Juniors
Im not going to knock it just yet...mainly because we really dont have the details and the papers dont always get it right.

If we were compelled to negotiate on the 2 years after this year, then on face value I dont know why we couldnt have based the broadcast payments (at least on FTA) on ratings.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im not going to knock it just yet...mainly because we really dont have the details and the papers dont always get it right.

If we were compelled to negotiate on the 2 years after this year, then on face value I dont know why we couldnt have based the broadcast payments (at least on FTA) on ratings.

or push through some better outcomes for the game if we are going to lose money. Dropping Thursday night would be a good start and pushing for the option of selling a ninth game separately would be a driver for expansion over the next few years. Don’t mind if we take less as long as we are getting something positive for the game out of it.

Cactus

Juniors
or push through some better outcomes for the game if we are going to lose money. Dropping Thursday night would be a good start and pushing for the option of selling a ninth game separately would be a driver for expansion over the next few years. Don’t mind if we take less as long as we are getting something positive for the game out of it.

Hasnt the ninth game already been blessed by the broadcasters ? Maybe no figure agreed to though I guess.

franklin2323

Immortal

fox paying extra makes me think that Ch9 have lost something. A reduction makes sense in that case

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If you’re over 30 and don’t know who Luke Philips is, you’re not a RL fan. Dude was a champion in the early 2000s.
Will undoubtedly have a record and legacy far greater than Cartwright’s.

Was he a champion? Good player but not a champion. Though his performance in the 2000 GF could have earn't him the CC Medal. He kept the Roosters in the game.

Why not wait for something official
You start pulling the pud furiously when something negative is printed about the current situation .& where is this negativity coming from ?
9/Fairfax .
Very credible source.lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why not wait for something official
You start pulling the pud furiously when something negative is printed about the current situation .& where is this negativity coming from ?
9/Fairfax .
Very credible source.lol

haha, if all we ever talked about in here was facts and decisions made it would be pretty quiet!
you are right though there has been numerous different reports over last few weeks about value, duration who wants what etc and it will no doubt be different when it’s finally done to what’s been speculated. Doesn’t mean we can’t have fun with the speculation whilst it lasts, that’s what fans forums are for! :)

Valheru

Coach
If you’re over 30 and don’t know who Luke Philips is, you’re not a RL fan. Dude was a champion in the early 2000s.
Will undoubtedly have a record and legacy far greater than Cartwright’s.

Amazingly, Bryce has already played more firsy grade games than Luke.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
lol sorry Melbourne is the capital of sports administrators. Just like it's the capital of everything else, so it loves to tell everyone...

Sports capital of the world, the universe even. Though the average sports loving Melburnian can't tell the difference between union and league.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
That is because polite conversations border upon being inaudible.

The meetings have tea and scones and the silverware is reported to be out on display. The hushed tones are conducive to all parties being able to read the contractual clauses in peace and quiet before agreements are reached.

I think AFL prefer Coke with ice then tea:p

LeagueXIII

First Grade

What is happening with the digital arm, been very quiet.

lol sorry Melbourne is the capital of sports administrators. Just like it's the capital of everything else, so it loves to tell everyone...

Melbourne is the capital of chips on its shoulder. They proclaim themselves the "capital of..." so as to ignore its a cold, miserable place by a cruddy river.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What is happening with the digital arm, been very quiet.
The effects of PVL being in charge are already obvious. Prior to his control, NRL.com would've at least reported on the PRLMO lodging a dispute with FWO over the one ref thing - not even a peep anywhere on the site about it. Pathetic.

Latest posts