What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

unforgiven

Bench
East's have invested heavily on the Central Coast

From linking with Wyong, buying Woy Woy LC add blue to the Woy Woy's red and white, rebadging CC Juniors from the Centurians in U16s U18s NSW Country championships U16s U18s U23s and SWRL team. As well as linking the Bears on the north shorea

Yet when they get their perfect chance to play games at Gosford they make a runner for Leichhardt and now Bankwest. They sell off Woy Woy LC as soon as someone sneezes

Not much point at playing at Gosford when no one can attend, it just creates more risk and greater travel times.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It may only be due to no crowds this year so not over yet

Not that Ive been buying them lately but there wouldn't much to report on during COVID-19.

I still have copies from the 80s and 90s, so if they were to shut up shop, its definitely worth keeping those copies.

Pommy

Coach
East's have invested heavily on the Central Coast

From linking with Wyong, buying Woy Woy LC add blue to the Woy Woy's red and white, rebadging CC Juniors from the Centurians in U16s U18s NSW Country championships U16s U18s U23s and SWRL team. As well as linking the Bears on the north shorea

Yet when they get their perfect chance to play games at Gosford they make a runner for Leichhardt and now Bankwest. They sell off Woy Woy LC as soon as someone sneezes

they could play in f**king Perth and it would make no difference.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
NRL broadcast deal rubber-stamped by ARLC; Fox Sports, Channel 9

Rugby league is on the cusp of clearing the final impediment for the relaunch of the NRL premiership on May 28 following a major development in broadcast negotiations.

The ARL Commission on Tuesday approved the code’s revised broadcast deal as the Project Apollo committee moves a step closer to relaunching the NRL premiership on May 28.

News Corp can reveal the ARLC has rubber-stamped the terms of the TV rights contract, the completion of which remains the final impediment to the NRL kicking-off on Thursday week.

The Commission met on Tuesday with the panel members, including chairman Peter V’landys, discussing the relevant components of the broadcast deal before giving the green light for the contract to be sent to TV partners Channel 9 and Fox Sports.

The broadcasting stakeholders will now hold their respective board meetings over the coming days to give their final approval to the TV rights deal that will steer rugby league out of the coronavirus pandemic.

It is understood Channel 9 will maintain their commitment to the NRL until the end of 2022, scuppering fears they would walk away from the code.

Channel 9 have baulked at a long-term extension, although that scenario is palatable to Fox, who are prepared to ink a four or five-year extension to remain loyal to rugby league until 2026-27.

Any broadcast deal of around $280-300 million per annum is considered an excellent outcome by experts in sports broadcasting negotiations.

V’landys told News Corp last week he was adamant he would deliver a broadcasting deal that would safeguard NRL clubs and ensure the resurrection of the premiership on Thursday week.

Today, he has officially succeeded.

“The broadcast deal will be resolved before May 28,” he said recently.

“I won’t be talking figures through the media, but I am confident with our position and what we have put forward to the broadcasters.

“We have done a lot of hard work on this.

“I believe a resolution will be found.”

V’landys conceded there was some concern free-to-air giant Channel 9 would sever its 30-year association with rugby league.

“I’ve taken Channel 9 from not wanting to be in the game to being committed for the next three years. It has been a hard slog to be honest with you,” he said.

“We’re still dealing on the extension side of things, there will be an extension with Fox, definitely.

“We won’t have all the final details done, but we will have the dollars in place, which is the most important thing for me to begin planning how much money we can distribute to the clubs and the players.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...9/news-story/2ad455d657ea55e6791385270a599746

franklin2323

Immortal
Not that Ive been buying them lately but there wouldn't much to report on during COVID-19.

I still have copies from the 80s and 90s, so if they were to shut up shop, its definitely worth keeping those copies.

I have every copy since 2000. So I am a fan but no lower grades, no crowds and to save money it makes sense

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys
“I’ve taken Channel 9 from not wanting to be in the game to being committed for the next three years. It has been a hard slog to be honest with you,” he said.

f**k off they are under contract, how hard could it have been to get the contract out and stick it under their noses?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would they do the name in queensland? Only mentions nsw comps

In what is shaping as a major shake-up of the progression to first grade, powerbrokers are discussing modifying the age groups of the main feeder competitions. The most likely outcome is changing the Harold Matthews from an under-16s competition to under-17s, the SG Ball tournament from under-18s to under-19s and Jersey Flegg from under-20s to under-21s.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ag...thway-progression-to-nrl-20200516-p54tkb.html

Storm80

Juniors
Vlandys

f**k off they are under contract, how hard could it have been to get the contract out and stick it under their noses?

Which goes to show what I been saying, once NRL couldn’t produce a 25 round season SOO in June/July - the 2018-2022 media contract wasn’t worth the paper it was printed on.

NRL been lying to the masses... oh my the shock the horror... I’m clutching at my pearls.... this whole thing is all about promoting one person, not the NRL.

It’s hilarious people are falling for it. I love the game of rugby league. I’ve never loved the administrators that run the game..: cause they almost always full of shit... and it seems nothing has changed

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Which goes to show what I been saying, once NRL couldn’t produce a 25 round season SOO in June/July - the 2018-2022 media contract wasn’t worth the paper it was printed on.

NRL been lying to the masses... oh my the shock the horror... I’m clutching at my pearls.... this whole thing is all about promoting one person, not the NRL.

It’s hilarious people are falling for it. I love the game of rugby league. I’ve never loved the administrators that run the game..: cause they almost always full of shit... and it seems nothing has changed

Wankers like you seem to be blaming the biggest pandemic in 100 years on the NRL. Every other sport is just as f**ked.

It's extraordinary times, you need to pull your head out of your arse and realise this.

What a steaming pile of self adoration .
You talk shit .
You do not know what happened in negotiations
Yet here you are telling the forum
You're a wanker .
There are no clear numbers released yet for themedia deal ..just plenty of speculation from invested media companies .
But apprently .you know all .

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Vlandys

He's starting to believe his own press.

Wankers like you seem to be blaming the biggest pandemic in 100 years on the NRL. Every other sport is just as f**ked.

It's extraordinary times, you need to pull your head out of your arse and realise this.

Yes habibi, I was just about to say this.

All winter sports are in the same position. This is an update on AFLs situation:

But minds are increasingly turning to the AFL’s fixture list and broadcast rights, with Seven and Foxtel, along with Telstra, expecting a reduction of at least 30 per cent to the $400m rights the trio usually pays annually.

unforgiven

Bench

You do not know that, again you are just making assumptions. I could just as easily assume that ch9 wanted to walk away but Vlandy's told them they had a contract but he was willing to renegotiate as there were now going to be less games. Makes as much sense as your assumption, now I'll say again, I don't know what happened and you may be right, but you do not know what happened either and are just making shit up and passing it off as fact.

Vee

First Grade
What a steaming pile of self adoration .
You talk shit .
You do not know what happened in negotiations
Yet here you are telling the forum
You're a wanker .
There are no clear numbers released yet for themedia deal ..just plenty of speculation from invested media companies .
But apprently .you know all .
But what do you really think?

Perth Red

Post Whore

either
1. Your right and the commission should resign for signing off on a contract without a safeguard force majeure
2 we are accepting less money as we are getting something in return
3 Vlandys is a plant and just doing a good thing for his mates in the media

everyone accepts that this years tv money should be less but why accept less for the last 2 years? (If they do)

time will tell

lockyno1

Post Whore
No need to announce a strike prior to arbitration.

I'm looking forward to the eventual realisation of how the standard of refereeing is actually quite good. It's a lesson the NFL learned in 2012. The NRL will learn it in 2020.

It likely won't be any different with one ref and it's worth a go. Look it's a gamble but honestly, we might as well take a chance. The game has been tiresome the last few years and that's not to do with the Roosters and Melbourne dominating. Personally I used twitch every game and be disappointed if I didn't but now I really don't mind and just get the scores. The way teams play has been extremely robotic almost, and the kick has become way too important.

Will this work, don't know. However happy in a compromised season we are trying something.

Cactus

Juniors

You just dont learn. This is what you were forced to concede previously

My terminology and grasp of contract law was off the mark. As others have pointed out the Act of God clause doesn’t usually void a contract

Latest posts