1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Coronavirus and NRL

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Knight76, Mar 2, 2020.

1. siv

siv Bench

So if we have no referees

What's Plan B?

Promote NSWRL and QRL reserve grade referees

Or are they part of the same association

Or bring in ex players to referee games

2. Canard

Canard Referee

You are holding the NRL to a standard far beyond reasonable. With, the reported exception of Wimbeldon, no other organisation had insurance or contractual clauses for this. Everyone organisation in Australia is facing massive revenue losses as a result of this (everyone single one).

It's virtually impossible to have a force majeure clause for something as major as this given Australia's size and scale, and quite frankly even if it did it wouldn't be worth the paper its written on, as insurers having to pay out monies for this sort of even would just go broke. I f**king hate Channel 9 with a passion, but its not sensible to think that there revenue is taking a hit for the next 2 to 5 years, 80% of something is better than nothing at all.

3. lockyno1

lockyno1 Immortal

QLD Cup and NSW Cup refs.

4. Jerkwad2000

Jerkwad2000 Juniors

Little Johnny's dad will do it. They'll give him a whistle and a hi viz vest and off we go. He can be paid $8 and get a pie and coke from the canteen at the end of the game.

5. mongoose

mongoose First Grade

I hope you are talking about the kick for goal, cause there isn't that much 6th tackle kicking anymore....

6. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo First Grade

They will be in the same organisation as the NRL referees. You might get some, but they won't be anywhere near the best.

Have a look at other sports overseas where the officials took industrial action and the sport brought in "replacement referees". The replacements were terrible.

7. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

I feel like I am the only one who is pleased to know there actually is a referees union and that they are letting themselves be known. They are more necessary to the game than everyone except the players. They are also excellent at what they do and better than for example the commentators who criticise them.

Frailty likes this.
  8. Fufu Andronez

Fufu Andronez First Grade

Shut up ref

9. Frailty

Frailty First Grade

Good luck. A significant part of the Referees union are the Queensland and NSW Cup referees.

The NRL need the referees. Look at how the NFL went to start off the 2012-13 season with replacement referees.

10. Cactus

Cactus Juniors

10 minute.jpg arrow.png bin.jpg

11. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

Haha. I'd need to be subbed after the kick off.

Fufu Andronez likes this.
  12. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

In my opinion the refs should have a representative on the NRL committee. They are a group of people who arguably love the game more than the clubs do. Maybe get Hollywood Harrigan.

13. lockyno1

lockyno1 Immortal

So no worse than the usual refs then. It won't get to this stage anyway.

14. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Ideally there should be a game committee made up of ref, coach,player and club reps chaired by the NRL. Then you dont get rogue Vlandys running off and changing things that he thinks is a good idea at the drop of a hat.

15. lockyno1

lockyno1 Immortal

Your side is a bit different (and one of the few that I like to watch as a neutral), but the bomb and hope for the best has become way too much of a factor across the board personally. I've actually proposed for a long time that if you use a kick in the try scoring play you don't get a kick at goal. I know I'm probably alone on this.

T-Boon likes this.
  16. lockyno1

lockyno1 Immortal

Not the worst idea. Harrigan would be ideal​

17. Vee

Vee Bench

I hadn't heard this suggestion before. Interesting.

18. lockyno1

lockyno1 Immortal

It's one that I'd like trialled personally first. Not proposing it to come in tomorrow or anything. It would force teams to run the thing. I just hate the chook lotto bombs to the wings off about 3-4 pairs or hands and somehow that's a try...that's just luck. As I said I don't expect many to agree just a personal view.

19. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

I should be on that committee

20. mongoose

mongoose First Grade

I agree the game is robotic but that tactic isn't used as much as it used to be, neither is the grubber kick. Some people hate it but the zero tackle rule has reduced the use of kicking pretty effectively and also the quick restart.