What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let's just remember that we don't live in a dictatorship so no one should be forced/mandated to do anything. Let's apply that thinking to something other than a vaccine and it is scary to give the Government that kind of power. It is also true however, that the choice they make to not be vaccinated may affect their ability to continue playing in the NRL. If they are faced with that prospect (which it seems they are) and still stick to their principle, then good on them for having integrity.
No we live in a democracy which means we can vote out the Government if we dont agree with their decisions. Govt's mandate public safety all the time. Speed limits, seat belts, bike helmets, drink driving, licenses for trades and so it goes on.

A bit more of this and we don’t suffer the anti vax brigade
I got the Pfizer just to be safe, even though I have little faith in our medical system or the multinational drug companies that get fat and rich off the back of people's suffering. They make money from creating treatments that cause other problems, not by finding a cure.

It may very well turn out to be another scam by the pharmaceutical industry, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nuke

Staff member
The thing is, we all do have a choice.
I work in aged care. It was mandated that we be vaccinated for flu and also now covid. I have a choice. I could choose not to get them, but then I have to find another job. That's my choice: needles or quit.
I can't stand needles at all. But in order to keep my job, of which I've been at for nearly 17yrs, I chose to get them.

That was my choice.

Knight76

Juniors
My take on the hold outs is that although I am vaccinated, and don't agree with their stance, it is their choice.

They will need to make sacrifices for their choice and so be it. That sacrifice may be their life.

As for herd immunity, NSW at least is heading for 95% vaccination. Though last 5% are the staunch anti vax and others for whatever their reason are holding out.

If the vaccination is as effective as is reported, and booster shots likely yearly to keep up the herd immunity, then allowing those 5% to roam free and risk their lives is their choice, and not a risk to those vaccinated.

As has been said in the past, it will be a pandemic of the unvaccinated, at least in Australia.

Dugtrio

Juniors
My take on the hold outs is that although I am vaccinated, and don't agree with their stance, it is their choice.

They will need to make sacrifices for their choice and so be it. That sacrifice may be their life.

As for herd immunity, NSW at least is heading for 95% vaccination. Though last 5% are the staunch anti vax and others for whatever their reason are holding out.

If the vaccination is as effective as is reported, and booster shots likely yearly to keep up the herd immunity, then allowing those 5% to roam free and risk their lives is their choice, and not a risk to those vaccinated.

As has been said in the past, it will be a pandemic of the unvaccinated, at least in Australia.
95% is population over 16, it comes down when you consider the under 12s who don’t yet have access and 12-16 who aren’t included in many of the statistics

ODC

Juniors
Current NSW stats
- 94.2% of people aged 16+ have had one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine
- 91.1% of people aged 16+ have had two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine

- 80.6% of people aged 12-15 have had one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine
- 73.4% of people aged 12-15 have had two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Let's just remember that we don't live in a dictatorship so no one should be forced/mandated to do anything. Let's apply that thinking to something other than a vaccine and it is scary to give the Government that kind of power. It is also true however, that the choice they make to not be vaccinated may affect their ability to continue playing in the NRL. If they are faced with that prospect (which it seems they are) and still stick to their principle, then good on them for having integrity.
I choose to not allow them to choose not to be vaccinated. What about my rights?

Chimp

Juniors

With you on all of this - what we’re now seeing in the U.K. right now is that infection rates are very high (but pretty much all restrictions have gone) but pretty much all Covid hospitalisations are now the unvaccinated. There’s a small percentage of elderly or people with other severe illnesses too (who have been vaccinated), but that’s to be expected as they’re extra vulnerable, and it’s not 100% effective anyway. But it’s scientific factual proof that getting the vaccine stops you ending up in hospital with Covid - yet the anti-vaxxers are still harping on about it. The ironic thing is the anti-vaxxers are also often the loudest critics of lockdowns etc too (being an attack on our civil rights), yet the anti-vaxxers are now the ones putting the NHS under strain, that could well lead to restrictions being re-implemented…. Absolute madness!

But all that being said, I also agree we shouldn’t mandate anything, chose not to be vaccinated, then you suffer the associated employment consequences. I’d also go a step further and say if you choose to ignore all the medical advice around getting the vaccine, you should not be entitled to healthcare if you contract Covid - if you don’t trust the medical professions opinion on preventative measures, why trust them on the cure?

Knight76

Juniors
With you on all of this - what we’re now seeing in the U.K. right now is that infection rates are very high (but pretty much all restrictions have gone) but pretty much all Covid hospitalisations are now the unvaccinated. There’s a small percentage of elderly or people with other severe illnesses too (who have been vaccinated), but that’s to be expected as they’re extra vulnerable, and it’s not 100% effective anyway. But it’s scientific factual proof that getting the vaccine stops you ending up in hospital with Covid - yet the anti-vaxxers are still harping on about it. The ironic thing is the anti-vaxxers are also often the loudest critics of lockdowns etc too (being an attack on our civil rights), yet the anti-vaxxers are now the ones putting the NHS under strain, that could well lead to restrictions being re-implemented…. Absolute madness!

But all that being said, I also agree we shouldn’t mandate anything, chose not to be vaccinated, then you suffer the associated employment consequences. I’d also go a step further and say if you choose to ignore all the medical advice around getting the vaccine, you should not be entitled to healthcare if you contract Covid - if you don’t trust the medical professions opinion on preventative measures, why trust them on the cure?

If there are further lockdowns in this situation, the lockdown should only be for the unvaccinated.

Quicksilver

Bench

I spend very little of my time doing things I actually want to do.

Vast majority of my time is spent observing rules and social norms that are in place for the benefit society.

I can’t just go and have a wank in the sun outside Central Station. Why not? I’m not hurting anyone.

I’d rather not go to work too. I spend 12 hrs a day doing that though.

Also I don't have time for the pseudo science of many anti-vaxxers. Many of them use the same arguments against vaccinations for polio and whooping cough, which were all but eliminated in Australia at one time, but now are back because of their increasing bull manure. People who have a medical exemption I can understand, but others? Sorry I have zero sympathy as going unvaccinated can mean you get the disease, which is highly contagious, and spread it to others. To me that is the problem.

As to the players, those who go unvaccinated, even the RLPA have suggested clubs can fine them for each game they do not play due to not being able to enter stadiums/fly interstate due to lack of vaccination.

aqua_duck

Coach
I’ve been vaccinated, but I don't judge people who are suspicious of the process or concerned about its potential side effects. Critical thinking is a cornerstone of advanced civilisation.
I'm all for critical thinking but have a look at that list and tell me how many of those blokes you'd consider to be 'critical thinkers'?
I mean we've got 4 blokes who've been done for assault, one bloke who's been done for road rage and drink driving, one bloke who almost died from overdosing on prescription drugs and one bloke who broke biosecurity measures and put the competition in jeopardy to have an extra marital affair.
I mean there are some great footballers in that group but I wouldn't accuse any of them of being intelligent

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do we think there may be legal challenges to the NRL if they had mandated it? it seems other sports have gone that way. Wondering why NRL refuses to take ownership and leadership on this one? Maybe as the numbers are so small they figure clubs will just drop the players or decide if they will allow them to play part time.

aqua_duck

Coach
Do we think there may be legal challenges to the NRL if they had mandated it? it seems other sports have gone that way. Wondering why NRL refuses to take ownership and leadership on this one? Maybe as the numbers are so small they figure clubs will just drop the players or decide if they will allow them to play part time.
I think the issue is Vlandys is trying to sit on the fence abit here. He probably doesn't want to alienate all the anti vaxxers and put himself in the firing line. In terms of litigation, has anyone successfully litigated against a vaxx mandate in any industry?

I think the issue is Vlandys is trying to sit on the fence abit here. He probably doesn't want to alienate all the anti vaxxers and put himself in the firing line. In terms of litigation, has anyone successfully litigated against a vaxx mandate in any industry?

Not in NSW. So far all legal challenges against them have failed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
not yet, most cases were thrown out (nurses, teachers etc) as govt has the right to mandate public health orders. Like mandatory flu jabs in aged care for example which has been the case for years.
Private companies bit greyer but so far no one has won one that I know of, still plenty in the courts around the world though.

Latest posts