What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Pommy

Coach
if you are a healthy individual you will get symptoms similar to a cold...those are facts. If you are old or have a compromised immune system then its a little more serious for you.....so is the flu. They are facts.

Not disputing them, they don’t mean it isn’t serious.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Not disputing them, they don’t mean it isn’t serious.
There is serious stuff going on every minute of every day.

I wonder how many climate science deniers are now all of a sudden listening to the science regarding the coronavirus. How many of those keyboard warriors are now cowering under a mound of toilet paper.

Or the anti vaxxers that will want a coronavirus shot when they develop one.

In the age of information ignorance is a choice.

Spot On

Coach
Sure it is a concern. No one wants to be ill.

However, the mass hysteria over issues nowadays due to media saturation and speed of information (and fake/false info) certainly whips people into a ridiculous frenzy which has bizarre effects ie buying arse paper in insane bulk amounts ffs.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Is Covid19 just going to suddenly go away is it?
no but the media coverage of it will, hence the panic will peter out and the resumption of normality.

The public has a thirst for an outrageous news story of about 6 weeks on average before the clicks slowly die off. I'd expect Rupert Murdoch press to really squeeze the lemon on this one with the final stories being " suburban mum's 2 weeks of hell without toilet paper - exclusive "

Pommy

Coach
no but the media coverage of it will, hence the panic will peter out and the resumption of normality.

The public has a thirst for an outrageous news story of about 6 weeks on average before the clicks slowly die off. I'd expect Rupert Murdoch press to really squeeze the lemon on this one with the final stories being " suburban mum's 2 weeks of hell without toilet paper - exclusive "

you don’t think people will be interested when their elderly or ill friends and relatives are dying in potentially large numbers?

Eelectrica

Referee
Or the anti vaxxers that will want a coronavirus shot when they develop one.

In the age of information ignorance is a choice.
Anti vaxxers are that demented to them this is another conspiracy to force them to vaccinate. The thought of getting any vaccination is terrifying to this lot.

They'd have double strength tin foil hats though. gotta by protected from those orbital mind control laser satellites.

Knight Vision

First Grade
you don’t think people will be interested when their elderly or ill friends and relatives are dying in potentially large numbers?
sure they will, but no more or no less than they were yesterday, today and tomorrow for those that lose a loved one every year to flu ( 3,500 app ) , cancer ( 50,000 app ), heart disease ( 18,000 app) , dementia (13,000 app ) etc etc. all those familiar ways to die.

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Look at the situation in Italy, massive lockdowns. They have 6000 cases and they’ve locked down several provinces.

We could be just weeks away from a similar situation.

Eelectrica

Referee
Reckon it’s just a matter of weeks until we see NRL games being played behind closed doors.
Probably. Going to be a nightmare for clubs and the NRL. I've got a 4 game pass to the Titans. Haven't booked any tickets yet. Am planning to go to the Parra game in a couple of weeks.

Also got a couple of concert tickets booked. I keep dreading an email telling me they're going to be cancelled.

See what happens I guess.

Easter holidays could be coming at a good time. Gives people a chance to be isolated for a few days if needs be. Or not.

if you are a healthy individual you will get symptoms similar to a cold...those are facts. If you are old or have a compromised immune system then its a little more serious for you.....so is the flu. They are facts.

Um, this is wrong. It isn’t “a little more serious” for elderly people. It’s *much* more serious. The death rate among the elderly is very high.

90% of the deaths are people over 60, mortality rate for people over 80 that get the virus could be as high as 20%. That is much higher than the flu.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

There’s some nonsense being spoken in this thread. Coronavirus has a much higher mortality rate than the flu, it’s not even close.

Typical seasonal flu has a 0.1% mortality rate, coronavirus could be anywhere between 1.4% to 2.9%, that’s a factor of 14 to 29 times more deadly.

People shouldn’t panic, but some precautions should be taken. Especially if you live with or come into contact with people who are 60+.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Knight76

Juniors
Not to mention humans have lived with the cold and flu circulating around the world for a very, very long time.

Covid19 is new, nobody has any built up resistance to it.

Also, it is still very early days with this new virus. There is a great deal we still don't know about it and it's lasting effects. There is talk of permanent lung damage, there is talk of cases where people thought recovered got sick again, and even died.

Describing any new virus as no big deal just because more people die from something else is ludicrous reasoning.

I'm not a doomsayer, but I am a realist. The government will take the steps it thinks will reduce the virus spread, and that will include banning public gatherings, sporting events etc.

accounting for about the same age related mortality percentages as the flu. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2018-2019/hopitalization-rates-older.html

I don't see any mention of mortality rate of influenza for those age brackets though.

Knight Vision

First Grade
don't see any mention of mortality rate of influenza for those age brackets though.
The start of the second paragraph ( the post was in question to age related percentage of mortality. Not number of deaths.)
"While flu seasons can vary in severity, during most seasons, people 65 years and older bear the greatest burden of severe flu disease. Approximately 90% of influenza-related deaths and 50-70% of influenza-related hospitalizations occur among people in this age group. "

Last edited:
The start of the second paragraph
"While flu seasons can vary in severity, during most seasons, people 65 years and older bear the greatest burden of severe flu disease. Approximately 90% of influenza-related deaths and 50-70% of influenza-related hospitalizations occur among people in this age group. "

Yes, but that’s missing an equation in relation to coronavirus. That is coronavirus is more deadly overall.

So whilst most flu deaths & coronavirus deaths are elderly people, coronavirus kills more as a percentage who are infected.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Yes, but that’s missing an equation in relation to coronavirus. That is coronavirus is more deadly overall.

So whilst most flu deaths & coronavirus deaths are elderly people, coronavirus kills more as a percentage who are infected.
The above appears to be correct at this stage ,

however .....Your statement below is incorrect. It is about the same age related percentage as the flu.

90% of the deaths are people over 60, mortality rate for people over 80 that get the virus could be as high as 20%. That is much higher than the flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2018-2019/hopitalization-rates-older.html

however .....Your statement below is incorrect. It is about the same age related percentage as the flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2018-2019/hopitalization-rates-older.html

I meant the 20% mortality rate of people who are 80+ is higher than the flu.

this part :point_down:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Last edited:

Latest posts