What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could we still end up with inglis???

ANTiLAG

First Grade
:lol::lol: signing a time premiership winner is a huge blunder

I'm actually a Kiwis fan. I am friends with Paul's brother's wife. Paul Whatuira is not a star quality player. He is mediocre at best. I cringed whenever he was selected in the kiwis. He did not bring much to the Tigers Bunji, Prince, Richards and Hodgson show. Nor did he bring much to the Gower, Preston, Wesser, Lewis, Girlder and Rooney show.

You're placing far too much significance on his premiership as though he is Luke Priddis in his grand final exploits. He's not.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Gotta say, I agree with ANTiLAG. While I dont think Whatuira is a bad player at all, I do think he has been in the right place at the right time.

We can win a comp with him, but not because of him.

mrpwnd

Bench
Gotta say, I agree with ANTiLAG. While I dont think Whatuira is a bad player at all, I do think he has been in the right place at the right time.

We can win a comp with him, but not because of him.
He's not great, but I doubt we signed him because he's a carbon copy of Inglis or Hayne. He could be anything so long as he came cheap anyway.

Whatuira is a good solid player...he does not have the pace of Inglis and co but is defensively strong and consistent.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I ran into Hayden Knowles yesterday who told me that Fatz started yesterday and has arrived with an amazing attitude..the guy is a true professional who's ready to rip in and give us some great service.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
the news i'm hearing today is that the storm are prepared to accept beau champion and the portion of his salary to get them and the bunnies both under the cap.
:twisted:

Stagger eel

Staff member
the news i'm hearing today is that the storm are prepared to accept beau champion and the portion of his salary to get them and the bunnies both under the cap.
:twisted:

why not? it makes sense to me, it does them both a favour, I don't know why they wouldn't do that in the first place.

Gronk

Staff member
Beau Champion was being shopped around at $1m over 3 years. So that means Storm have

Champion
Cronk
Slater
Smith
Blair
Manu

as their big names with the rest rookies. That sounds about right then.

born an eel

Bench
Irate players' union joins fight to keep Inglis

Glenn Jackson

December 22, 2010
THE rugby league players' union has stepped into the Greg Inglis saga, requesting files from the NRL's salary cap audit into the centre's deal with South Sydney.
The chief executive of the Rugby League Players' Association, David Garnsey, said he would view the details of third-party sponsorships that were ruled to be included in the Rabbitohs' salary cap by NRL auditor Ian Schubert. Garnsey described as ''untenable'' the revelation that Inglis is without an income, as disclosed in yesterday's Herald.
As Inglis prepares to meet Essendon coach James Hird today, Garnsey has taken up his case with a view to investigating whether an appeal against the NRL's findings is possible.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''I've got no real knowledge of those agreements and I've got no preconceptions about them,'' Garnsey said. ''The NRL may have done a good job with it, and I'd certainly be surprised if they'd be trying hard to knock it back. But the RLPA has the right to engage in the process and I've requested that information today.''
Garnsey also had discussions yesterday with Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson and Melbourne boss Ron Gauci about the claims by Inglis's manager, Allan Gainey, that the Queensland star was still owed $270,000 by the Storm - and had not been paid while he awaited a resolution to his contract wrangle.
''My objective in all this is to safeguard the welfare of my member,'' Garnsey said. ''I don't claim to know the ins and outs and I can't yet dispute the ruling that's been made, but what I am concerned about is that he's got no income coming in, living in the front room of Shane Richardson's house, he's newly married and he's having to borrow money. That's a terrible scenario for anyone, let alone one of our marquee players. That's an untenable situation, and somehow some heads have got to get together and ensure that he gets some flow of money coming in. And if that drives him to the AFL or anywhere else … that would be a disaster for all concerned.''
On that front, Inglis is set to meet Hird today. NRL chief executive David Gallop said yesterday the development would not alter the administration's stance. ''Speculation about the AFL doesn't mean we should change the ruling we've made,'' Gallop told AAP. ''The [NRL] ruling reflects the true nature of the arrangements that were put in place to secure Greg Inglis's signature at Souths.
''I hope for his sake his situation is resolved but I can't imagine the reaction if we were to suddenly toss the rules out the window, irrespective of who the player is.''
John Byrne, of The Food 2U Group, was willing to offer up $50,000 a season to top up the Test and Origin star's contract with the Rabbitohs, but he told the Herald he would investigate a deal with the AFL unless the stand-off over the three-year Souths deal was sorted out.
He added he was ''astounded'' that his company's commitment to Inglis's deal was ordered by the NRL to be included in Souths' cap. ''We saw Greg as an opportunity to get involved in rugby league in Sydney, but with this other club [GWS] coming to town, Israel [Folau] definitely strikes a chord,'' Byrne said.
''Greg is our number one preference, but the other one is definitely an alternative.'' Byrne said the Inglis deal was ''purely through Greg and Allan Gainey'', and that ''Souths weren't really involved''. ''Whether he played for Souths wasn't of any great concern to us,'' he said. ''I rang Souths to get Allan's number, so I could discuss with him whether he was coming to Sydney. I thought it was pretty straightforward. I've got a business, and we sponsor Danny Green, we've got an involvement with the Perth Wildcats and the World Sailing Championships. I thought this was a great opportunity to add to them. But with none of those organisations have we had to go through the scrutiny that we have in this instance.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...oins-fight-to-keep-inglis-20101221-194hh.html
I don't understand how Inglis can not have any income as he has $300K worth of third party contracts, as these are true 3rd party deals and not an inducement to sign with souths he will still be getting the money. :sarcasm:

Also with these true 3rd party deals that have been organised already, we can sign him up for about $200K. It should be easy to prove we did not organise the 3rd party deals as an inducement to sign with us. ;-)

Gronk

Staff member
which brings us back to the second option and would mean that if he signs with any Sydney based team, the deals would be valid

LOL at this 2nd hand car dealer from Glebe. Apparently he's not a bunnies fan and thinks that giving Inglis $25k and a car would be good for business.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...reg-inglis-offer/story-e6frfgbo-1225974637179

http://saapauto.com.au/index.htm

I think he's got more exposure when the deal when sour than he ever would have sponsoring him.

I call bullcrap.

SDM

First Grade
And I could beat Peter Peters over 100 yards, sign me up for the olympics.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Like I said - Kiwis fan so I really want to see Kearney suceed. Plus - Parra are a very easy club to like. From the 80's on through to 2009 you've played some real attractive footy, even when times were tough with the exception of Daniel Wagon. I was supporting your club in 01 and 09 grand finals, so don't take me the wrong way.

I hope Kearney is right. But I think Whatuira is going to frustrate the hell out of you guys next year. He is slow, he is not agile, and he isn't even a noted wall in defence. He is a passenger who trains hard and gains popularity.

I wish him to prove me wrong and Keaney right - but I don't think he will.

Latest posts