What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys v Warriors - Rd 12 Gameday

My thoughts are that Brown's not up to the job. Along with the other coaching staff
We significantly improved our squad in the off-season yet they look clueless under pressure.
As for his love affair with Jazz = get a room.

Not sure if It because Brown comes across as down to earth nice guy or speaks well, but I'm willing to cut him some slack, multiple injuries, 1st time same 17 named, disrupted preseason with split squads, mental health issue with Aussie relocation.

But don't get me wrong would swap for Bellamy in a heart beat.

Look around the coaches of top team, Arthur on the rack a few years back, Clearly Panther Jesus returning from being sacked, Bennett's Bunnies slaughtered, Robson's Roosters injured.

Bellamy's secret sauce doesn't stick to his understudies who move on either.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
You didn’t see us struggle for go forward? None of our forwards, interchange included, ran for over 100m.

5 of there’s did.

It’s not the be all and end all of our team, but absolutely one of the reasons they were up 16-6 with a few minutes to go before half time. From minutes 10 to about 40 were our worst. Jazz was off for 10 of those, but we were terrible in that time.

A better forward pack would of had us ahead IMO

Not at all, we had no problems making metres. And from about minutes 10-25 we were smashing them, actually a really good passage for us on defence especially. 25-40 was a disaster of errors, penalties, sin bin.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
FWIW I agree our props are disappointing - it just seems like we avoid using them and come up with alternative ways to go forward. For some reason this has been a Warriors trait for years.

I have no idea whatsoever what anyone sees in JTB tbh. Leeson seems like clearly our most consistent go forward prop (AFB aside) and I have no idea why he’s used like an impact player off the bench.

Benek

Juniors
And Evans is useless. Total handbrake in attack. I think the whole team will lift when AFB comes back.

For years we’ve had poor forwards and have adopted a game plan of using our backs for too many hit ups. Now we have a better forward pack but are still using the same strategy. We need to expect or props to do more work. They should each have one hit up every set. That’s their job. We’re not actually struggling for metres, they’re just coming from the wrong place.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
And Evans is useless. Total handbrake in attack. I think the whole team will lift when AFB comes back.

For years we’ve had poor forwards and have adopted a game plan of using our backs for too many hit ups. Now we have a better forward pack but are still using the same strategy. We need to expect or props to do more work. They should each have one hit up every set. That’s their job. We’re not actually struggling for metres, they’re just coming from the wrong place.

100%. I just object to some of the ways stats are used in rugby league analysis. Like on the most basic level, guys can’t get run metres if they don’t get passed the ball.

A guy like Maumalo for example, could have 22 hit ups for 200 metres while playing like total shit. He couldn’t not run for 200 metres unless he was deliberately running away from the ball, because the game plan requires him to take those runs. Says nothing about how well he’s playing.

JJ

Immortal

yeah, two signings had me questioning their value, Evans and BMM - both have had poor NRL careers - thankfully BMM has so far addressed any doubts - Evans not so...

SmashEmBro

Juniors
100%. I just object to some of the ways stats are used in rugby league analysis.

I think it can be used both ways to be fair. You say that you didn’t see us struggle with go forward, and looking at the stats, we weren’t that far off what the Cowboys did meter wise.

But I think the big difference is the quality of those meters. If it’s coming from our backs - we’re not bending the line, it’s those predictable one out runs that aren’t causing any damage or threat. This is a double negative as we’re not bending the line, and the players who can hopefully finish off any good work has just done that work their selves, so are less likely to be in position or make a good run/burst.

Every game we’ve won this year we’ve had 3 or 4 forwards running for more than 100m. We had none yesterday. I’m 100% confident if we had 4 running for that amount, we win that game.

Benek

Juniors
Exactly. And that could be one factor as to why the 5th tackle options are poor. Our backs are too busy doing the forwards jobs.

vvvrulz

Coach
100%. I just object to some of the ways stats are used in rugby league analysis. Like on the most basic level, guys can’t get run metres if they don’t get passed the ball.

A guy like Maumalo for example, could have 22 hit ups for 200 metres while playing like total shit. He couldn’t not run for 200 metres unless he was deliberately running away from the ball, because the game plan requires him to take those runs. Says nothing about how well he’s playing.

This, f**k me.

Thankfully we finally seem to be getting away from the ridiculous fap surrounding this and are putting emphasis on actual forwards to do this work.

Now that we have Walsh we desperately need strong finishers which is why I don’t mind RTS on the wing. Pity we seem to have lost Fus forever.

JJ

Immortal
Manu has a heck of a lot to answer for, ay?
Yeah... oh wait you mean in league

thing is good wingers can make metres, but no at the expense of forwards doing their jobs...

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah... oh wait you mean in league

thing is good wingers can make metres, but no at the expense of forwards doing their jobs...

nothing wrong with a winger who racks up big metres but he should pretty much only be doing it on tackles 1-2 or on the end of backline movements. Wingers constantly coming up in for hit-ups mid to late set makes you question what the forwards are doing.

Big Marn

Juniors
multiple times this year ive seen backs take all the hitups in a set of six. Fitness issues again with the Warriors? Been a perennial thing with us. As SM said, when the kick goes down the field from the opposition, the first 2 tackles should be the backs so our players can get back onside. Then it should be the forwards doing all the hard yards.