What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Cowboys

Meth

Staff member
Ford at prop won't happen. It'll either be Niukore or Barnett. Just silly shit from Webster.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ford at prop won't happen. It'll either be Niukore or Barnett. Just silly shit from Webster.
Yeah that’s just for the team sheet, won’t reflect what he’s doing on the paddock. I’d say Barnett or Niukore will be in the middle.

hoping Berry can fire up and have a good game. I still think he’s got the ability, just been a bit down on confidence.

glad we’re not rushing SJ back.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Admittedly I was watching the game half-pissed at the ground (on free corporate piss supplied by the TAB might I add ;)) but I do recall thinking that Ford was playing middle and Barnett was playing edge vs the Dolphins. At least at certain points.

He isn't a true prop (does it even matter anymore?) but it genuinely did appear that Webster had decided that Ford was better as a workhorse in the middle and Barnett offered a bit more punch on the edge, which has some logic to it.

It doesn't really matter as we are stacked with players who play both middle and edge, and also with middles who are not true props. It's actually something I've been quite happy with in our squad this year - the lack of props has not really been an issue because you can get away with it as long as you have "middles".

Ford goes forward and has nothing else to his game. The middles actually make sense for him.
I was enjoying him on the right edge after a couple of rounds but the middles maybe the correct call.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ford goes forward and has nothing else to his game. The middles actually make sense for him.
I was enjoying him on the right edge after a couple of rounds but the middles maybe the correct call.
Yeah, I felt like that role actually might suit him. The game has a lot of middles who aren't necessarily big brutes - no better example than Cotter being an elite level SOO prop at 95kgs wringing wet.

I don't really understand why Barnett is going out to an edge now - given how outstanding he has been this year - but at a guess it might be Webster looking to rotate these guys for balance, and to also not work them into the ground across the season?

Bunty a bit stiff having been great v the Dolphins, but he has been largely anonymous otherwise.

Going forward, it's probably a nice mix to have. We only need 1-2 genuine big boppers (JFH fills that role) then guys like Barnett, Ford, Ale, Bunty, Maiu'u, Niukore even Jazz etc fill roles around them.

Hats off to Webster, he has significantly changed his coaching tack in the last couple of weeks. Things weren't working and he's made changes, that have worked. I knew he would, he's that sort of bloke that is willing enough to change, and intelligent enough to make it click.

I think he’s been playing left wasn’t he? same as last year? And it was Capewell on the right for the early rounds.

But regardless… yea 100% agree on Ford staying in the middle.

Especially if it means Marata goes back to an edge, preferably on the right where he’s not only a weapon himself, but would reinstate the right edge combination with Berry and DWZ that worked so well last year.

Blair

Coach
We can't drop this game. We have Melbourne next week. Our ladder position is tenuous.

As Ice T sang (with Body Count) 'the tension mounts...'

I think he’s been playing left wasn’t he? same as last year? And it was Capewell on the right for the early rounds.

Yes last year Ford played on the left edge and a bit this year. Webby changed him to the right side in a couple games I think due to Capewell being an established left edge player and not firing on that side, injuries etc.
Could be a masterstroke move placing Ford in the middle.

We can't drop this game. We have Melbourne next week. Our ladder position is tenuous.

As Ice T sang (with Body Count) 'the tension mounts...'
The triple week revenge rounds are coming up after the Cowboys game. Storm, Titans and Broncos.
Would love 4/4 or 3/4. If we get only 2, 1 or none we be climbing everest to try get into the finals.
Let's go!!!

Latest posts